Dear Tristan | Teen Ink

Dear Tristan

By ris829 SILVER, Northidge, California
ris829 SILVER, Northidge, California

"Live as if your dying"

My Dearest Tristan,

I know we’ve been apart for years now, but just recently I began thinking of you again. I was at my sister’s wedding. The guy she married was her ex-lover from high school. Kind of like us. Anyways, they broke up during my sister’s senior year and spent three years apart. Has it really been three years for us as well? I miss us. After three years apart, they finally got back together. Now, they’re happily married. The problem with us is it hasn’t been three years. It’s been ten. Ten years is a long time. It’s a decade, it’s an era, it’s a time period. I wish I could see your face as you read this letter, but I can’t.

I guess the point of this letter is to tell you about my life and to get out things that were left unsaid. I’ll start with things left unsaid. You were the love of my life. Hands-down, you held every part of my being in your hands. You were the one I always ran to, you were the one who protected me always, and you were the one who could completely destroy me. Is it ironic that you could save me and destroy me at the same time. Well, I guess we finally found out how badly you can hurt someone. When you ended all communication with me, I died. Only a few days prior had I wrote you a letter. The letter was something that said, “I’m sorry for everything”. Also, in the letter, I was going to tell you that I’d break up with my current boyfriend if it meant you’d wait for me. God, I wish you knew that, I wish I had just texted it to you instead of waiting and sending it through the mail. There are so many what-ifs. What if I had texted it to you. Would you still be here with me? Chances are no. Life plays out the way it does for a reason. We are not together for a reason. I am with Will for a reason. Yes, Tristan, i am still with Will. Because I never sent that letter to you and because you weren’t around waiting for me, I stayed with him. But, I never let you go.

Anyways, we got married a few years back. I thought about inviting you or even letting you know about it. Because at one point you were my best friend. It may have only been for a few months, but you were my best friend. You were the best friend anyone could ever ask for.

In closing, I hope you’re happy with your life and I hope you’ve moved on. I have. I still think about you though. That one night especially, late in our junior year. The night I gave you everything and the night you ended everything. Sometimes I think that you were using me and that’s why you broke up with me right after we did it. But, you left me with something. Something I never told you about. Anyways, I got to go pick Eli up from school. That’s my son’s name. Well, actually our son’s name. He’s almost ten now. And he asks about you all the time. Maybe someday, you’ll meet him and we will be reunited. But, until then, I will love you always.

Love,
Lilly

Based off of something that could've happened.