Love IS Respect - Part 1.2

Seeing Tyler sitting on the curb, far away from the other students who waited for their rides home, I went to sit down next to him. He didn’t look at me, but I knew he knew it was me. I took a deep breath. “Ty,” I asked, and then paused for a moment, it felt strange hearing my voice aloud for the first time in more than a year, “I’m really sorry to hear about your dad. I know how hard it is. Is there anything I can do?”

Quietly he asked, “Your dad?”

“Yeah,” I whispered.

He looked at me then and asked, “Will the pain in my heart ever go away,” as tears spilled over the brims of his lower lids.

I just stared at him. His question broke my heart because I could only offer him my own reality. I felt conflicted. I wanted to comfort him so bad, but I knew my words wouldn’t bring him the comfort he so desperately sought. I couldn’t lie to Ty, so I told him the truth, “Mine hasn’t.”

This time it was him who didn’t say anything. Then he threw himself into my arms and sobbed into my chest.

*** Please read:

This is a work of fiction. I was inspired by the Lifetime Original Movie, Reviving Ophelia, which is about an abusive teenage relationship. I was also inspired by another story that I read on Teen Ink by HLFelix called Stick ~ check it out, it’s really good~ http://teenink.com/fiction/romance/article/256850/Stick/?page=1

If you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship, please tell a parent, a teacher, a guidance counselor, or an adult you trust. Don’t try to “handle” it yourself; this type of situation is above your expertise. Abuse is about manipulation and is not restricted to physical violence. Verbal and Emotional abuse is just a damaging and hurtful. Even if you’re ashamed or promised not to tell, this is a serious issue that needs to be told immediately. And don’t be the person who knew and didn’t say or do anything. It could be a matter of life and death or serious injury. I repeat, this is a work of fiction, but for some it’s real life. Please visit www.loveisrespect.org for more information.***

its_just_me said...
I really like this:) Good job!

Lonleydandy said...
I liked the 1.1 version....This one doesn't really seem to fit in with it...hahahaha. Keep going, and maybe it will make sense!

Robsessed replied...
Thanks for your comment, but I think you might be confused. There are no "versions". Part 1.2 means that this is part 2 of part 1 and is indeed a continuation from 1.1. In case you didn't see my Author's Comments, this is a flashback scene so maybe that's why it didn't seem to flow to you. Part 1.3 is awaiting approval.

Lonleydandy replied...
No, I understood that it was a continuation of chapter one. That part was clear to me. I just thought that having just the flashback by itself was strange, that's all. Normally, it would be embedded within another chapter.