Our Last Goodbye | Teen Ink

Our Last Goodbye

By AdrianaV BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
AdrianaV BRONZE, Staten Island, New York

"Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish." ~ John Jakes

The sky blanketed over in a darkened baby blue indicating the sun is about to set. The colors flushed along the sky as it grazed over in orange with specks of pink and purple.

Jennifer looked out of the window of the moving car her father drove. She pulled the sweater she had been wearing closer to her body to keep warm.

Her eyes set along the bustling trees, the empty field just behind it whisking around, blocked.

Jennifer sighed to herself, the carmel spheres she carried glued to the scenery before her. She had wanted to look away but something in her made her think otherwise of her decision making her stay put.

Within a few minutes, something had caught Jennifers eyes. She could feel her breath being caught in a ball forming in the pit of her throat. A white figure not to far away came into view, making her eyes widened in shock. The cloak that covered the unknowns body swayed against the wind. The face of the figure soon coming into view.

"Mark." Jennifer whispered, her fingers laying against the cool glass. The tears in her eyes developing rapidly.

"You have to let me go. . ." The ghost of Jennifers beloved Mark simply stated. His voice like a sweet melody to her ears. Just by the sound of him talking made her heart ache.

"I missed you." She replied, ignoring his previous plea towards her.

Without notice, Jennifer now stood in the same empty field as Mark, their faces turned towards another. Their bodies just a few feet away.

"I missed you too, baby." Mark smiled softly. Wanting desperately to be able to touch her. . . hug her and tell her everything will be alright without him but knowing it were clearly impossible---he couldn't touch her or otherwise his hand would go right through her body.

"Why did you have to leave me?" She choked on the words she had just spoken.

"It was time for me to go Jen. I had no way of knowing---"

"But you did know! You did and you chose to save my life instead of your own. Why? You had everything ahead for you. A scholarship to the best universities, star quaterback of the school, good grades. I was just some girl."

"Some girl? You were my life, still are. I love you more than anything in the world. You were everything to me and when the brakes didn't work I knew right then I had to save you. If I hadn't and you died in spite of me, I wouldn't have been able to live with myself especially without you."

"-And you think I can? I feel so empty inside. . . without you, I'm incomplete."

"You can find somebody else who will treat you like a princess."

"I don't want anybody else. All I want is you."

"But, I'm gone and I won't come back. I want you to be happy again Jen."

The tears continuously strided down her cheeks, imprinting themselves. "I love you."

"I love you too and I need you to let me go. Right now. Live life to its fullest. Though you won't see me, I will always be there with you."

Jennifers body shook violently, her eyes scanning over Mark for one last time before he left her for good.

His body began to fade as it flew to the sky; a star sparkling in his place. Jennifer closed her eyes and within a few seconds she found herself in the prevous position she had been; in the moving car.

"It was all just a dream. . ." She sighed to herself when something caught her attention from the corner of her eye. Leaning over, Jennifer grabbed a red velvet box. Opening it slowly, the box revealed a stunning diamond ring with a little note attached to it.

"I love you.", Mark.

Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

"I may be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it." - Maya Angelou

"Did you know 'I told you so' has a brother, Jacob?" she asked cutting me off. "His name is 'Shut the hell up.'" - Bella Swan, Breaking Dawn

This was so good I couldn't help but cry! I absolutely loved it. You have a very strong and moving voice, or I guess I should say these characters do.

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

Oh my Gosh, so adorable! I especially love the ending:) Great job!!