Scared Love | Teen Ink

Scared Love

October 5, 2010
By Elisabeth GOLD, Nottingham, New Hampshire
Elisabeth GOLD, Nottingham, New Hampshire
10 articles 0 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A true friend is hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget."


I open my ugly green locker, number five hundred forty seven. I spin the silver dial, putting in my combination, three-oh-seven-nine-five-two. The numbers don’t mean a thing to me; I am not the type of person that would put some personal number like a birthday there. Those are too easy to guess.

When I open it, I push my long black hair behind my ear, along with the one white streak in it that is natural, even though people don’t think so. I honestly don’t care what people say, as long as they don’t see my scar. When I was little something happened, and now half my face is scared, so I use my hair to cover it.

I grab my books that I will need for the next three classes, and close the door, making sure to lock the revolting thing. At the last second before I turn to face the rush of the crowd, I look at myself. I look pretty normal for a ‘goth’. I have on black and white converse, black skinny jeans, and I dark grey tee that says “Back off boys, I can kick your butt anytime.” Over that I have a black hoddie. Yep, all black. The last think is to let my hair back into my face, letting no one around me see myself for whom I truly am, and I don’t want people to know so much that I shall not even think about it.

I start walking down the white tile and brick hall, dreading my classes. It’s not like I particularly don’t like my next class, I just hate school. I keep my eyes down as I walk, not wanting to make eye contact, not wanting anyone to see me, I just want to be ignored.

Before I know it, I am laying on the floor, my head hurting.

“Are you okay?” someone asks me. I ignore the person, going straight to my face to make sure it’s still covered. Thankfully, it is. I look pup through my one uncovered eye and hate what I see. Star quarter backs bumping into girls who don’t want anything to do with attention? Well, I guess going on quietly is out of the question now.

Matt reaches down to help me up, his toned body moving perfectly every second. His short cropped blonde hair lets me know he is sincere, but I still want nothing to do with him.

Just as he reaches down to help me up, I knock his hand away.

“Leave me alone.” I growl. He looks bewildered, like no one has ever turned him down before. Well, he can get a life cause no way would I ever let him touch me.

“Just trying to help.” He mumbles. I glare at him.

“If you wanted to help them would never have bumped into me, or talked to me for that matter. You would have left me alone and we could all be on our merry ways by now!” I snap back at him. His eyes drop from my face, which is now his height since I got up, to the floor.

“Whatever.” He says, and then he leaves. Thank god. I just continue to class.

I got out of class early, telling the teacher that I had to go to the bathroom during the middle of class and never went back. I wasn’t going back home, God, the only reason I do go back there is for the food. Instead, I head to a place that I found behind the school when I first moved here. A little creek with an old wooden dock in the back of the school which is about a mile into the woods, but it is beautiful.
I walk through the dark woods, on this cloudy day. Every once in a while I hear a twig snap, but nothing scares me anymore, so I keep walking.
When I finally get there, sit on my wooden dock, and look out into the rippling, clear, cold water I sigh a sigh of relief. This is one good thing about this god forsaken town. I have a place for me and just me. I push my hair away from my face and get close to the cool water, splashing it all over myself, clearing my head. I let the cool water drip down my face, and lay basking in the sun. I take off my sweatshirt and let my arms feel the heat from the sun.
CRACK! Something or someone snaps a stick behind me, and it sounds too big to be a squirrel. I whip around, facing the intruder that has dared enter my land. At first I don’t see anything as I scan the woods; nothing is out of its place. All the trees are silent, the ferns blowing in the wind, but nothing more. Then, I sweatshirt sleeve peaks out from behind a tree.
“You,” I growl “What are you doing here?” His head comes out from behind the trees, then his whole body. He looks towards the ground, ashamed to be caught.
“I was just following you, I wanted to know where you go everyday after or during school.” I rolled my eyes at his response. Like he cared. At that second I remembered my face, moving my hand up to my face; touching it too see if my hair was there. It wasn’t. Oh well, secrets out now.
“Well you better leave, now.” I told him, still angry. He just stared at me, not taking his eyes off my face.
“What happened to you?” I turned around, not wanting any part of this conversation.

“Leave me alone. Go back to the school.” He refused to leave me, and I could feel him getting closer. I felt his hand touching the middle of my back as he got even closer. Soon he was in front of me… tracing the scar on my face.

“What happened?” he asked one more time. I took a deep breath, deciding whether or not to trust him.

“Before I decided whether or not to tell you, you need to understand that you could never tell anyone about this place, or me.” He nodded, understanding my terms.

“And if you ever tell anyone in your life, I will know and I will personally kill you myself.” He nodded again, seeing I was serious.

“My father, drunk. My mother, also drunk. Some knives, broken glass, and me
when I was twelve.” He nodded once again, still understanding what I was saying.

“You know, ever since I ran into you in the hall, I haven’t been able too get you out of my mind.” I rolled my eyes.

“I’m serious!” He laughed.

“Sure, cause the most popular guy at school thinks about the annoying girl with the thing for black and white.” He turned serious.

“I’ll prove it to you.” I was about to ask him how, when he pressed his lips to mine, embracing me in a strong, warm hold. I contorted my body, making it fit with his perfectly. How is it that the guy I hated ten seconds ago is now the guy I cant live without?