You Never Know Till You Find Out | Teen Ink

You Never Know Till You Find Out

September 27, 2010
By Elisabeth GOLD, Nottingham, New Hampshire
Elisabeth GOLD, Nottingham, New Hampshire
10 articles 0 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A true friend is hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget."


Life is funny like at sometimes, you never know that you are falling for someone until you see them with someone else. That’s how it was for me; I didn’t know I truly liked him until I saw him with another girl, one of my enemies, in fact.

It was the night of the first dance of my ninth grade year. I had just gotten back from running an awesome cross country race and I had put together an outfit for the dance. I walked into the café and saw one of my best guy friends standing inside, looking like he was searching for someone in the crowd. I came up behind him, and poked him on the shoulder.

“I’m alive!” I tell him. He turns around and smiles at me.

“You survived a beach clean up, a cross country race, and you’re planning on surviving the dance?” he looks at me, a smile on his face that stretches from his face to his ears.

“Pretty much.” I say. Before either of us can say another word, my friend Carol comes up behind me and grabs my arm.

“C’mon Emily!” she shouts “We gotta go dance!” She starts dragging me towards the dance floor, and I send and apologetic smile at him.

“Sorry. Apparently I wish to dance right now.” He laughs.

“See you later.” He says. I smile, knowing that I would definitely want to talk to him later, but Carol and some other our other friends, Kayla, Karen, Julie, Hannah, and Mallory, have control of my life right now.

We dance, or actually jump, to a ton of songs before the DJ slows it down. I look around for someone to dance with, and spot him on the far edge of the room. I quickly start to walk over, but before I get there one of the girls who really likes to annoy me stands in my way.

“Hey Damien, wanna dance?” she asks him. He looks at me, smiles, shrugs his shoulders and takes her into the middle of the room. That’s when I realize that he with another girl really irks me. I feel like he is mine and mine alone, I shouldn’t need to share him. I know this is really selfish, but I just can’t stand watching them.

Carol comes up behind me,

“Em! Lets dance!” she exclaims. I nod, and we put our arms on each others shoulders. We dance to that song, but I am determined to get him away.

For the rest of the dance I steal him for every song. I feel so complete when his hands rest on my hips, my arms comfortably around his neck. One second I am looking at the floor, a big smile on my face, and the next moment when I look up, I see him smiling at me, with his energetic eyes. My gaze drops immediately, but my smile never fades.

“Wanna do something fun?” he asks.

“Sure.” He takes one hand away from my hip and spins me. I laugh.

“You’re crazy, you know?” I ask him. His smile brightens.

“Yep.” This makes me laugh.

“Okay, good.”

A fairytale night for me. I met my prince and turned my day from a pumpkin patch into a castle. We had such a good time, and all my friends danced with the ones they liked too. A beautiful night for seven beautiful girls.