Don't Say Yes | Teen Ink

Don't Say Yes

By smokeandmirrors SILVER, Kittery Point, Maine
smokeandmirrors SILVER, Kittery Point, Maine

"Don't say yes!"
I shout vehemently to the man in the suit that is standing on the alter. Not with me, but with a girl who’s wearing such a breathtakingly beautiful gown that for a moment, I almost feel bad about ruining this for her. My knees are scraped and bleeding, my hair is in excellent disarray, and my eyes are puffy and red. I’m one hell of a s*** show. He looks staggering in a classic tuxedo, black and white, messy hair swept to the side, as always. His blue eyes flash. First anger, then confusion, and by that time, everyone else is looking at me as well. Some with anger, most with absolute perplexity. I take a deep breath and walk to the alter, finding a certain amount of satisfaction in the way the girl standing before him in the white dress is fuming at me.

“I love you. I always have. I always will.” I profess to him. For the first time in a while, I think I’ve done the right thing. There are no second thoughts, no ruminations of consequence. He doesn’t say anything. I wait a couple seconds. He continues to stare at me, and I know what he’s thinking. I know what he’s saying to himself, I can guess the thought process. I turn around and I begin to leave.

“Wait Sam.” He sighs. He places his hand on my shoulder and tugs gently, as if to hold me back. His touch burns, and I turn around, the faintest glimmer of elation beginning to grasp the possibility of what could happen.

I watch him turn around and remove his ring, returning it to the girl, with, as I observe, not a trace of regret. “I can’t do this, I don’t love you.” He whispers to her, kissing her politely on the cheek before taking my hand in his own. I remember this, and it’s home.

I’m home. I think, as we walk out of the church doors, leaving everything behind.

NKsunshine said...
on Oct. 28 2011 at 8:49 pm
Love the plot!! You should write a full length story on it!(;

on Sep. 17 2010 at 1:35 pm

It was a prompt from a website I used, and I was trying to focus more on the feelings of the girl than anything else(: 

Thank you so much for the constructive criticism though(: 

on Sep. 17 2010 at 11:39 am
biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

sweet~but if we knew the details its would be even better ;) just a thought

on Sep. 16 2010 at 2:32 pm
Smile,Iloveyou SILVER, Valdosta, Georgia

"Writing eases my suffering. Its my souls medicine. I write what I want to write about. I write when I hurt. I write what I fear. Writing is my form of personal freedom. I write to save myself. I write to survive as an individual." -Unknown.

I love it!! :)