Three Weeks ~ part 6 | Teen Ink

Three Weeks ~ part 6

By LuLu95 PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado
LuLu95 PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado

"Oooh! Dark matter, we better bring a flashlight!"

When I woke up in the morning I laid in bed for a while before getting up to shower. When I was dressed, instead of going downstairs I talked to my mom on the phone for a while, then read from my book, and worked some on my summer assignment. When I couldn’t deny the hunger in my stomach I ventured downstairs to the kitchen. Mike was sitting at the table with his back towards me, but he turned around when I opened the fridge door.
“Hey. I was wondering where you were.”
“What do you mean?” I asked blandly.
“I heard the shower come on about an hour ago, so I figured you’d be down sooner,”
“Nope.”
“What were you doing?”
“Just some stuff.”
“What stuff.”
“School stuff.”
“Is everything ok?”
“Yeah, I’m just getting breakfast.”
“No, I mean is everything ok with us?”
“What would be wrong?”
“You seem upset about something.”
“No, I’m fine.”
“I was thinking last night –“
“Me too.”
“—and I think we should do something special today.”
“What exactly is something special?”
“Something for just the two of us. It’s a surprise,” he said hopefully. I turned around and looked at him. The look on his face dissipated any annoyance left in me.
“That sounds great,” I said
“Cool. Well it’s not until a little later, so would you like to take a walk in the meantime?”
“Sounds nice,” I told him running my hands through his hair.
“Alright, let me go put on my shoes,” He said turning away from me, but I pulled him back, kissing the side of his face and neck, “Wow,” he whispered, “I should surprise you more often.” I laughed and pulled him close.
“Go put on your shoes,” I told him with a laugh.
After our walk we came home and Mike told me to go put on something nicer. I chose a lacy off white blouse and my dark skinny jean. I brushed out my hair and re-did my make-up darker around my eyes. Then before leaving the room, I sprayed my new perfume at my neck and wrists. I was expecting to find Mike in the kitchen but he was waiting at the bottom of the stairs with a bouquet of wild flowers.
“You look beautiful,” Mike said slowly, “Here, I got these for you,” he said handing me the flowers.
“Thank you so much,” I said hugging him, “wow, you smell great.”
“Mmmm,” he said nuzzling my neck, “as much as I would love to stand here forever, we should probably go.”
“Alright, where are we going?” I asked him as I looped my arm through his.
“It’s still a surprise,” He said leading me out of the front door. The sunset had turned the sky pink. Together we walked down the road leading into town.
“Can I guess what we’re doing?” I asked
“No! You are going to follow me and you can just find out when we get there.”
“Fine.” I said making a pouty face.
“Oh, I am not falling for that.” He said. We walked into town on the small empty sidewalk lined with little shops and book stores. When we were reaching the end of the lane we entered a small restaurant called The Leaning Spruce.
“We’re going out to dinner?”
“Sort of yes,” he lead me through the small room of tables before we reached the back door he came up behind me, “Close your eyes,” he said placing his hands over my eyes. He lead me through a door and out into the night air again. “Ok. On the count of 3, open your eyes. 1…2…3…” I opened my eyes. We were on the back deck of The Leaning Spruce, there was a small table for two set up in the middle with candles and two plates with fancy glasses. Strung around the rest of the deck were bright twinkle lights.
“It’s beautiful. How did you do this?” I asked in disbelief
“I got a friend who works here, he pulled some strings. Come sit down,” Mike said pulling my chair out for me.
“This is so amazing. I can’t even believe it,” I told him.
“You’re welcome,” he said smiling. The back door opened and a waiter came out holding a tray with two plates of spaghetti, and a bottle of sparkling cider. The set the plated in front of us, and poured the cider. “So, do you like it?”
“I love it. I can’t believe that you did this for me,” I said as I twirled noodles around my fork.
“I’m so glad that you like it.” We ate our food slowly, laughing, joking, and talking about everything. When we were done Mike asked me to dance.
“But, there’s no music,” I noted.
“Wait for it…” A few seconds later soft music started playing.
“Wow, it has everything,” I said as Mike wrapped his arms around my waist. I put my hands on his shoulders and we started to sway back and forth in time to the music. I rested my head in the crook of his neck and got lost in the music. When the song was over I lifted my head, “This is so perfect,” I said resting my forehead against Mike’s.
“You’re perfect,” he said, moving his hands to the back of my head. Mike kissed my nose and then my lips. “I love you.”
“What?” I said pulling back slightly.
“I do. I love you.”
“Oh my god.”
“I know,” he whispered and pulled me into a tight embrace.
“I love you too,” I whispered in his ear. As soon as I said it tears welled up in the corner of my eyes and I felt ridiculous for crying.
“What’s wrong? Why are you crying?” Mike asked wiping away the tears on my cheek with his thumbs.
“No, I’m fine. I can’t believe that I’m crying, I’m sorry,” I managed through the tears.

“You don’t have to apologize,” He told me, cupping my face in his hands, “You never have to apologize for anything.”
“I just feel so stupid. The first real romantic moment of my life and I cry.”
“This is the first real moment for you?”
“My first love,” I said.
“I am honored,” he said back, pulling me in to dance again.