Three Weeks ~ part 4 | Teen Ink

Three Weeks ~ part 4

By LuLu95 PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado
LuLu95 PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado

"Oooh! Dark matter, we better bring a flashlight!"

I woke up earlier the next morning and looked that the clock on the bedside table. It read 8:35. Remembering that I had not showered the past night, I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom to shower. When I was done I picked out jean Capri’s and a purple flowery tank top. The only make-up I applied was light mascara. Eagerness welled up inside of me as I descended the stairs. I was rounding the corner to the kitchen when I heard Mike and his mom talking.
“I’m just saying she’s not just some girl from school. You have to be careful with this one.” Deb said.
“You think I don’t know that? Mom, I’m being careful. I’m not going to hurt her.”
“Honey, I’m not saying that you would do it on purpose, but sometimes people just want different things.”
“I’m not going to hurt her.”
“Alright Mike, just be careful. I’d hate to see you ruin the friendship you had.”
“I won’t.” He said ending the conversation. I felt troubled by the fact that my perfect moment of bliss seemed to be over. Mike and his Mom both looked up when I entered the room.
“Did you sleep alright honey?” Deb asked me.
“Fine, thanks,” I said smiling politely. Mike’s eyebrows wrinkled in slight concern.
“Well I’m off to work. Both Jim and I will be home for dinner tonight. Don’t burn the house down, Mike,” she said grinning. When she left the room Mike looked at me.
“What’s wrong,” he said approaching me from behind. He wrapped his arms around my waist and put his head on my shoulder.
“Last night was so perfect; I guess I was expecting a flawless morning.”
“What happened?”
“I heard you and your mom talking before I came in.”
“Oh. You heard that.”
“Yes, why is she so concerned that you’ll hurt me?”
“I meant what I said. I won’t hurt you.”
“I believe you, but why isn’t she worried about me hurting you?”
“Because she knows that you are incapable of causing someone pain.”
“No I’m serious. Why?”
“Alright, because my mom knows me, and she knows how I get after I commit to a girl. I tend to back out when things aren’t perfect anymore, and when things are expected of me.”
“Oh.”
“Look, I know that it’s hard to believe. But, I wouldn’t say this if I didn’t completely believe it. Things are different with you. I won’t hurt you like that, I promise.”
“Is that really a promise you can make?”
“It’s a promise that I would do anything in the world to keep,” he said turning me around, “and I do believe that you still owe me that good morning kiss.” Smiling I placed my arms around his neck and pulled his face to mine. Our mouths met and I could feel his lips smiling. Mike’s hands were tangled in the hair that went past my shoulders, my hands on the back of his head. When we parted we remained close.
“I do believe that that settles my debt,” I whispered quietly near his ear.
“Oh well,” he said and turned, kissing me again.