Three Weeks ~ part 3 | Teen Ink

Three Weeks ~ part 3

By LuLu95 PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado
LuLu95 PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado

"Oooh! Dark matter, we better bring a flashlight!"

After a while, the sky became dark with clouds, and we both agreed that we should head home. About 5 minutes later the heavens let loose and it began to pour. Lightning flashed across the sky and violent thunder shook the ground.
Mike and I were huddled under a small gazebo. “We should hurry up, and get home before it starts to hail!” Mike called over the sound of the rain. We prepared ourselves and on the count of three we ran into the open, trying to keep the pelting rain out of our eyes.
After a mad dash we finally made it back to the house. Our clothes and hair were sopping, and I’m positive that my make-up was smeared black beneath my eyes. We took a good look at each other, and burst out laughing.
“What on earth happened to you two?” Mike’s mother asked from the end of the walkway.
“We went for a picnic. And I guess we didn’t leave soon enough,” Mike said laughing a little bit.
“Well I made some thin crust pizza. Why don’t you guys go clean up and put some dry clothes on, and I’ll have your plates ready when you come down.” She said smiling at me.
“Thank you,” I told her.
“Of course sweetheart.” I dropped the soaking blanket we had used into the laundry basket and headed up the stairs, Mike right behind me. I went into the bathroom to rinse the mud off of my legs and sort out my hair. I took one look at myself and groaned.
“I look so ridiculous!” I cried. My hair was a snarled mess, and there was a ring of black beneath both of my eyes.
“You do.” Mike said standing beside me.
“Hey!”
“But I don’t care.” He said pulling me against him in a hug. Then, we sat on the edge of the tub scrubbing mud off of each other’s feet and legs. When Mike and I finished we went to our rooms to change. I pulled on my gray CHS sweatpants and a white t-shirt. I brushed my hair and pulled it into a bun on the top of my head. Quickly, I rinsed my face, rubbing under my eyes to remove any excess make-up. Then I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen. I was expecting to see Mike at the table but there was only his mom, Deb.
“Feel better now that you’re all dry, honey?” she asked me.
“Much better. Thank you so much for the dinner.”
“You don’t have to thank me. We’re glad to have you with us while you’re parents are in Europe,” she handed me a plate with two slices of bruschetta pizza, “Goodness, what is that boy doing? He takes longer to get cleaned up than a girl! I swear if he is not down in this kitchen in 3 minutes I am going to go up there and get him myself!” Deb said
“I’m here, I’m here. No need to get your socks in a knot,” Mike said.
“I’m not wearing socks. What on earth took you so long?”
“Nothing.”
“Well, you just sit down and eat.”
“Alright, no need to hover mom. I’ll eat the pizza.”
“Ok, I’m running to the store. Be good you two.” Deb grabbed her keys off of the counter, and left through the garage door.
“Aaah. Finally alone,” Mike said winking at me.
“What were you doing up there?”
“I was just…well it’s embarrassing.”
“C’mon, tell me.”
“Alright. I was fixing my hair, and picking out my cleanest sweats. And making sure that I didn’t smell of wet dog.”
“Awe. Why?”
“Because, I care what you think about me.”
“I already think good things about you. You don’t have to do all of those things.”
“I know, but I want to.” He said nudging me with his elbow. I smiled and rolled my eyes. We ate our pizza, talking on and off about this and that. After we were finished we settled down on the couch in the family room. Mike turned on some free on Demand movie and then sat down next to me. He then put his arm around me and pulled me into his chest, and rested his head on mine.
“You’re mom could be home soon…” I said to him.
“So?”
“She could see us.”
“I don’t care. It’s my mom; she probably already has an idea.”
“Do you think?”
“Probably. I mean she wouldn’t ever say anything. But moms just have ways of knowing these things.”
“I guess.” I said closing my eyes.
“Or…maybe she doesn’t. I’m going to guess that you don’t want her to.”
“I don’t know. Maybe not, but I don’t know why. She’s your mom, it’s not like she would make a big deal about it.”
“Well if you want to keep it just us, then we will,” he said pulling his arm from around me.
“Wait. Don’t,” I said taking his hand and placing his arm around me again, “I don’t care; it’s just your mom. Not the whole world.”
“You don’t want the world to know?”
“It just seems more special now. Just you and me.”
“Anything would be special with you,” Mike said and kissed the top of my head. I spread my legs out on the couch and laid my head on his chest. He pressed play, and started to stroke my hair. Further into the movie, I heard the garage door open. Deb walked in and saw us sitting together, she didn’t say anything she just smiled and walked up the stairs. Mike didn’t notice.
Next thing I knew He was waking me up, “Lia, c’mon. Wake up. You fell asleep during the movie.” He turned around, “I’ll give you a piggy back upstairs.” I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist. He carried me upstairs and to the guest bedroom. “Here we are,” he set me down gently on the ground.
“Here we are,” I said back with a tired smile. Mike put his hands at the small of my back.
“Goodnight kiss?” I didn’t say anything, so he tilted his face towards me, he was going for lips, but I turned my face and his lips met my cheek.
“Goodnight,” I said with a smile and opened the door to my room. I turned to walk in but, Mike caught my hand.
“See you in the morning?”
“Definitely.”
“Great. I’ll be expecting a good morning kiss,” He said and kissed my hand. After that he turned and crossed the hall to his messy bedroom.

Part Three of The Three Weeks That Changed Me Forever