Lost In The West (part1) | Teen Ink

Lost In The West (part1)

June 23, 2010
By AshleyKaraline SILVER, Moultrie, Georgia
AshleyKaraline SILVER, Moultrie, Georgia
8 articles 6 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
What's the point of living if you're not going to live life?


I keep trying to convince myself that I am more beautiful than most. Tanned skin, pale blue eyes, long auburn hair, I look great in a bathing suit. What more could I want? I'm beautiful. Why lie about it? There're other things that make me beautiful though... I'm modest and unbelievably vunerable. I prefer books over a lot of things. I don't believe ignorance is bliss. I'm in love with modesty, knowlege, and observation, mostly observating peoples body languages. Does that set me apart from every other beautiful person out there?

I don't want to be different. I want to hide in the shade of indifference, but every chance I get to do that, I find self being more and more different.
You must think I'm nuts and I might be a little crazy. But maybe you'll understand me a little better once you hear where all of this started.


Sitting on the hood of my car before class starts has become a routine for me. It's too hot to wait in the car. My first few days here at this school hasn't been very endearing. I have every right to want to move back with my Mom. It's nothing but black and white here. No color of any sort of fun. Just school, then home. There is a beach near by but out of town. Donomique, California is now my temporary home. Yay. But I did move here by choice. I miss my Dad.

Terry Kosher. He's the "art freak" of the town. He makes a good living with his scuplting, murals, and paintings. Travels a lot. He also studied in herbology. Opening a store here in town, actually. All products made from nature. He's amazing, to be honest. I haven't seen him in four years...

Ugh, the bell for first period ranged so loud, you could probably hear it through out the whole town. Walking into first and settling in to my seat unnoticed is just how like it. I hate being the center of attention. My first day here, which was two days ago, was so embarassing. Everyone wouldn't stop starring at me, even if I stare back. But now by the looks of it, the attention will turn to the new, new student, who just moved here today. Hopefully, someone I could relate too.

He walks in with so much pride that it wasn't cocky. It was more about self respect. I looked at everyone else to see if they gave him the same treatment that I got. It was even worse. Their mouths hung opens and eyes wide. I impaitiently looked back at him, trying to see what they saw. He wasn't bad looking. His shaggy brown hair hung free, roughly touching his chin. He also had a few strands of auburn hairs here and there. His eyes were dark though. Hard to read. And boy was he tall!

I gathered that in ten seconds as he made his way to the only empty seat in class. In a way, I was kind of pleased that he got to sit by me. I could see eyes gawking from me to the boy. I flushed a little from the small amount of attention.The boy wore an olive green V-neck, that made the eye linger to his tan exposed chest.My eyes shifted to his. I was suprised that his expression mirrored mine.We both smiled half-heartedly at each other. He looked around at all the wondering eyes then back to mine.

"Got the same reaction two days ago." I sighed, then shrugged.

"You're new here, too?" His voice was kind.

"Yup." I nodded. Then he nodded as if something occured to him.

"I think You're my neighbor." He smiled a little. It was a nice smile. "Yeah, You're definetly my neighbor."

"Really?" I wanted to hug him. Excitement, finally! He laughed at my excitement. We stared at each other, nodding.

"Wanna hang out after school or soemething?" This caught me off guard. What?

"Umm..." Why was I hesitating? Was it the way he was starring at me? Was it the way he smiled, waiting paitiently? His eyes became worried?

"Or not..." He said slowly.

"Umm, I'm sorry. Yeah, we should hang out." Relief swept across his face.

"Cool."

"What's your name, kid?"

"Oliver."

"I'm Gia."Class began then, interrupting us. We bumped into each other in between classes alot. It wasn't awkward, seeing him a million and one times in one day. It felt natural. We both drove home in our own vehicles and parks in our own garages and went in our homes, giving each other a few minutes to wind down, i guess. I changed into something warm. Today was very humid. I hate this annoying weather. I miss Maryland.
After putting my hair up, I walked pass my Dad before he could even ask where I was going and skipped next door. He wasn't out yet, so I padded up the steps and knocked on his door.

A very pretty woman came to the door. I could tell she was Oliver's mother, but she was very short. Shorter than me.
"Hi, I'm Gia. I live next door. Is Oliver home?" She looked suprised for some reason.

"Oh my goodness, you're beautiful." It sounded more like an accusation than a compliment.

"Um, thanks." I faked a smile. I'm a master at that.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Come in." She moved to the side for me to enter. "Olly, should be down in a minute."

"OK." I said politely. To be honest, I dont know why I'm here. I don't know what "to hang out" even means, when it comes to a total stranger. Oliver's mom disapeared out of the room. I took the free moment to look around and to gather my thoughts. But the moment wasn't free enough, because Oliver came bouncing down the stairs, cheerfully. He smiled warmly once he saw me.

"Hello." I said cheerfully, almost giddy, which was kind of embarssing. He chuckled.

"Wanna go for a walk or something?" He asked taking me in. His eyes washed all over me. It made me feel naked, but not uncomfortable.

"Please, I'm sick of being stuck in that house." I smiled hugely up at him. He chuckled again, then we both eagerly headed for the door to explore the city that neither of us knew that well.


The author's comments:
I wanted to write about characters who weren't self-conscious for once. Both character have confidents. They're not arrogant, but they respect they're selves.