Unwilling Sacrifice | Teen Ink

Unwilling Sacrifice

June 17, 2010
By Vannah913 PLATINUM, Olive Branch, Mississippi
Vannah913 PLATINUM, Olive Branch, Mississippi
24 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life sucks; then you die. Yeah, I should be so lucky." by Jacob Black in Breaking Dawn and/or "Sugarcubes with rabies." by my friends and I


“I don’t care,” I replied icily to the handsome man standing in front of me. “You hurt my friends, family, and me. I wouldn’t even consider going out with you. EVER!” I flipped my hair, turned on my heel and started to walk off when he grabbed my wrist.


“Please, Kristen. You’re not going to go back to that Joe dude, are you? This is ridiculous! I can love you so much better than he ever would!”


I slowly turned to face those fathomless black eyes with an expressionless look on my face. I stared into those deep dark eyes that showed a dangerous dark passion in them. It was impossible that this horrible creature in a human’s body could ever love anything or anyone but himself and power. “You . . . can’t . . . love. . . .” I said, spacing each word out for special emphasis. Then I turned and jogged away before he could pull me in with his charming words and alluring voice. The minute I knew I was out of sight and hearing-distance, I broke into a full sprint.


Once I burst through the heavy double doors at the end of the winding hallway, I just ran blindly with tears streaming down my face. I didn’t know where I was going, but I just knew I had to get as far away from that atrocious man. Suddenly, the sirens were blaring and I was standing in the middle of a deserted street. My vision cleared and I ran to the nearest ditch I saw. I dove into the thorns and brush just in time for the giant booms. I curled myself into a ball and just cried and screamed as I listened to the exploding bombs getting closer.


Almost right where I was huddled, a bomb exploded. I screamed even louder and burrowed myself into the ground. Suddenly, strong arms were wrapped around me, making me feel as secure and safe as I could at that moment. I was openly sobbing now but didn’t even care what that person thought of me by that time. Once everything started quieting down except for the shrieks of injured soldiers and the general’s commands. I struggled to even my breathing. Whoever had came rubbed my back soothingly. I took a deep breath, then another. I kept taking deep breaths until I had calmed down a little bit.


“Kristen?” a deep voice said. I froze and my breath caught in my throat. Oh no. It was him. Now I wished I had stayed in my own home that day. I glared into his eyes that were mixed with concern. That surprised me. He was usually so cold with everyone else. “Are you alright?”


I shook my head and tried to stand. My legs were wobbly, and I collapsed, landing in his strong arms. All I could see was the blackness of the back of my eyelids. At first, I thought I had fainted, but unfortunately, I stayed conscious and was fully aware of his arms around me, cradling me against his chest as he carried me away. I didn’t know where. I didn’t really care, as long as it was away from here, away from the world.


I heard him push open the double doors and heard another voice. “What happened to her? Is she alright?” I felt warm fingers caress my cheek. My eyes fluttered open to see Joseph’s face. When he saw that I had woken up, he smiled, making his one dimple appear. Then I was pulled away before I could even open my mouth.


“Why would you care? Where did you even come from anyway? You weren’t here when she really needed help out there.” Malachi turned and walked off. I struggled in his arms. He looked down at me and said, “I’m taking you to the infirmary. Do you feel okay?”


“I’m fine, now put me down!” He faced forward again and acted like he didn’t hear me. I struggled more and his arms tightened around me. “Let me down!” I yelled at him.


Joseph came around the corner. He ran to us and grabbed Malachi’s shoulder, spinning him around. “Let her down, you idiot!” Malachi just glared at Joseph. Then Joseph just blew up, cuss words flying out of his mouth. After he was done, Malachi did the least expected thing: he laughed, a laugh-out-loud kind of laugh. Joseph completely lost control, his fist connected with Malachi’s face before Malachi even knew what had happened. Malachi’s arms gave out and I fell to the hard but carpeted floor. Malachi clutched is nose, but I could see the blood leaking through his fingers. Joseph helped me to my feet and pushed me behind him.


Malachi turned his blazing gaze to Joseph, and if looks could kill, Joseph would have been dead hundreds of times over. My eyes widened, and I clutched Joseph’s arm, trying to pull him back with me as Malachi started toward us. Of course, his target wasn’t me; it was most definitely Joseph. I jumped in front of Joseph and put my hands on Malachi’s chest, holding him back. “Malachi, please, don’t do this,” I pleaded.


“Why not?” he growled menacingly, still glaring at Joseph.


“Because . . . it will hurt me if you hurt him. If you love me, let him go.” I stared into his eyes and they switched their glare from him to me.


My eyes began to fill again and his expression softened but took on a mischievous undertone. “Fine, but on one condition will I do absolutely nothing about this moron.”


I narrowed my eyes at him. “What’s the condition.”


He leaned toward me and murmured into my ear so only I could hear, “Kiss me.” I stumbled away from him.


“No,” I whispered.


“Fine, I’ll just . . .” He took a step toward me, toward Joseph, who was behind me.


“Okay,” I replied quickly, closing my eyes. I took a steadying breath and opened my eyes to see that he was closer.


“You have to be willing,” he murmured softly. “And he can leave without a scratch . . . or a black eye.” I looked down and nodded. “Look at me.” My gaze moved to his face, and it was so tender, so passionate. He took my face gently between his hands. I took a breath and his lips met mine. I gasped at the feeling I experienced. His touch was like fire and ice, it burned like fire but was freezing cold like ice.


I stood stiff for a second before I responded. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him back. Everything rushed through me at the same time: anger, lust, hatred, embarrassment, passion, tenderness toward this cold man. All of these emotions jumbled into one big mess, making me so confused for a few seconds that I didn’t have any idea what I was doing. I could feel Joseph’s stare burning a whole into my back, but for once, I didn’t care.


After a few moments, I pulled away, out of breath. That was when I got my senses back. Then I spun around to find Joseph staring at us, especially me, like we were the most messed up thing since goths. I was about to take a step toward him when Malachi’s arm wound around my waist, and he laughed at Joseph, a deep mocking laugh. Joseph stared, horrified, for amoment more; then he turned his back on us, on me, and strode away with a straight tense back.


I pushed Malachi away and ran after him. I caught his arm just outside the doors. He spun around to face me with so much hatred in his eyes that I was speechless. “I-I —“ I stammered, then regained my composure. “I’m sorry, but that was the only way he’d let us go.” It didn’t seem as if he had heard me. His cold stare shifted from my face to the ground.


“Need a ride?” he asked in a deep, cold, hard voice. I nodded, knowing he could see. He led me to his car. I got in and waited.


It was a silent ride home mostly. Every time I tried to start a conversation, or just say how sorry I was, his grip on the steering wheel would tighten and he would start to glare through the windshield, so I would eventually give up.


He pulled up into my driveway and stopped. I was about to say sorry again, but stopped myself. “Thanks for the ride. I’ll, uh . . . I’ll see you at school tomorrow.” I saw him nod slightly, just to let me know that he had heard. I sighed heavily and hopped out into the rain that as now falling. I glared up into the sky for a second before I shuffle up to my front porch.


Once I had unlocked the door with one foot inside, I turned to see that he was already driving off, making a point not to look at me by glaring out the windshield straight ahead. I didn’t bother waving. I just stared as he sped away, and walked into my home, feeling more alone than ever. I closed the door and was shrouded in darkness and loneliness.