Take Me Back to That Night | Teen Ink

Take Me Back to That Night

By meganj SILVER, South Amboy, New Jersey
meganj SILVER, South Amboy, New Jersey

"You're going to come across people in your life who will say all the right words at all the right times. But in the end, it's always their actions you should judge them by. It's actions, not words, that matter." -Nicholas Sparks

As I sit here tonight, thinking about how this could have possibly happened and where things went wrong, my mind wanders back to that one night. That night you promised me forever. That night you told me you’d always be here. That night you held me tight and told me that you loved me. What happened? Was there something I didn’t see? Was it all a lie? Did I ever really mean something to you?

Thomas and I were taking a walk by the lake on a warm, August night. August 4th 2008 to be exact; I remember it perfectly. Things between Thomas and I had been a little shaky lately. We were both working through our trust issues. I was willing to work through anything for him, though. I cared about him deeply. I wanted us to work.

We walked along the pathway surrounding the lake, hand in hand. We strolled in silence, but not an uncomfortable silence. We were just content to be together. I was gazing at the moonlight against the lake when Thomas broke the silence. “Do you want to go sit down? We could go on the swings if you’d like,” he said. I answered, “Sure. Let’s go on the swings.” We walked over to the little playground next to the lake.

I propped myself up on one of the swings and Thomas did the same. I was still staring at the lake, when I sensed Thomas staring at me. I glanced at him and saw him smile. Not his usual giant grin, but his innocent half-smile. The way he smiles when he gazes at me intently. I blushed and cracked a slight smile.
“What are you thinking about?” I asked Thomas.
“I’m trying to figure out how to tell you the things I want to tell you.”
“You’re good with words. Just say it.”

Thomas hopped of his swing and stood in front of me. He grabbed a hold of my hands and I looked up at him. My heart was racing and I had loads of butterflies in my stomach. I didn’t know what to expect. But then he cracked his special smile and I took a deep breath and listened. Thomas began, “Megan, I know things between us haven’t been going so smooth lately, but I want to change that. You are the most important person in my life and I don’t want to mess that up. When I tell you I love you, I mean it with all of my heart. Megan, I promise you that this is forever, you and me. I’m never going to hurt you or break your heart. I’ll always be here, no matter what.” He held me tight and promised he would never let go.

I believed you. I put my trust in you.

Now, it is one year and seven months later. You’re gone. You walked out of my life. You shattered my heart into a countless amount of pieces. I honestly loved you with all of my heart, but that doesn’t matter anymore. You’re not coming back. You’ve moved forward and left me behind. You told me you would never leave. You promised forever, remember?

This is a true story and it is very special to me.

OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

Thank you:)

meganj SILVER said...
meganj SILVER, South Amboy, New Jersey

thank you so much and yes i will :)

meganj SILVER said...
meganj SILVER, South Amboy, New Jersey

thank you:)

and yes i willll.

meganj SILVER said...
meganj SILVER, South Amboy, New Jersey

thanks for your feedback:)

Chinadoll BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

I'm sorry this happened to you. This was a sweet story. Good Job!! Keep writing!!

Also could you look at some of my work? Thanks!

on Jun. 23 2010 at 10:42 am
_Lia_Aqua_ SILVER, Moorhead, Minnesota
Yeah. If you wanted to continue it you could make it fiction if you wanted to and continue it that way, or you could leave it at that, or you could add on what really happened. Either way, your writing is fantastic.

meganj SILVER said...
meganj SILVER, South Amboy, New Jersey

yes, this really happened to me lol. i never though about adding to it, but i might. it would probably be about how i'm still not over it, but i'm managing and even though i've had other boyfriends since him, they just don't compare.

_Lia_Aqua_ SILVER, Moorhead, Minnesota
This is an amazing story and I don't know if it happened to you but this is some really good writing. Please keep going if that's what you plan to do. I want to know what happens.

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
-Randy Pausch

This was so sad and sweet, and I feel really bad if this is what happened to you!  You wrote it perfectly!  Excellent job! Keep writing!

Btw, will you check out and comment on my work?