The Collector This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I used to collect things, did you know that?
I used to collect your smiles. I would tuck them away and keep them for days when the rain beat down on the world.

I used to collect your kisses. Each one was so gentle and tender; I would keep them in my pockets and relive the moments, cherishing the fact that I had them.

I used to collect your hugs. I would neatly hang them in my closet, where they would stay until one of those dreadful nights when I woke up scared of the dark and craving you. I would just pluck one out of the closet and wrap it around myself, relishing its warmth and comfort.

I used to collect your wishes. They were so shiny and beautiful, almost as gorgeous as you. Every night I would add my own – only mine weren't for grandeur or fame, but rather for all of yours to come true.

I used to collect your sighs. I would catch them in a bottle as they drifted from your mouth while we sat on the couch, just admiring each other.

I used to collect your touches. Whether it was a little brush of the arm or a timid caress, I would keep it and store it away in a drawer so I could always have you close at hand, even when you were miles away.

Yes, I used to be quite the collector, but not anymore. Not since you left me alone with nothing new to collect.

Now the smiles have cracked, and the kisses are meaningless. The hugs are wrinkled and eaten away by moths. Your wishes have grown dim and are covered with dust. The sighs have gone stale, and the touches have faded.

I used to collect things, but now I just keep them cluttered together in the bottom of my closet. Sometimes I still take them out and turn them over in my hands, remembering days that are no more – but not often.

I used to collect things, you know. But not anymore. Now I'm just a pack rat, with drawers and closets stuffed with useless mementos.

chrisfree.firebolts This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow... that was beautiful. The imagery is amazing.. please do not stop writing, this was really unique.

hollowfirefly said...
That was incredible. I shed a tear at it... It was a beautiful thing... An amazing writer. Don't stop writing :)

KeepLivingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 31, 2012 at 10:46 am:
I love how it's written like the person was keeping all the carreses and kisses as if they were items. It's inspirational. Beautiful beyond words.

otherpoet said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 9:50 pm:
I didn't even feel like I was reading this! I could really SEE what was going on, super impressive! This is an excellent story!

FakesmileThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 3:27 pm:
This is BRILLIANT! Great job, it makes me want to read a lot more of your writing. Which i think i'll do :D

ElkieLion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 16, 2012 at 9:38 pm:
I love it!!!

purpleink26 said...
wow, this is really beautifully written!! well done :D

alibi said...
This is very good! It's kind of sad, but in a really good way!

billgamesh11 said...

Oh wow!

I love the metaphors and just the way you wrote this!!! I know break ups are bad, but it was written so beautifully, i can't help but love this!!! Great Job and Keep Writing!!! :):):);)

redeemed_love said...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 10:34 am:
Mmhmm, so true. Awesome job - you put everything so clearly!

TheHannahHop said...

Hey, first I want to say that at first I wanted to roll my eyes.  I personally do not like "break up" stories, I know break ups are hard but stories have been retold so many times that they lose their magic.

With that said, this piece is brilliant.  You take a new spin on it and the writing is just so good and clever!  I just do not know how to praise this well enough.  Have nothing to suggest to do. 

So even though I hate break up stories, yours is just... (more »)

ChocoMint said...
love the metaphors!  Perfect for the tone and subject.  Great job.  Could you check my story out please?  <><

AllanaCal said...
Very impressive! I absolutely loved it. I've saved it to my phone, that's how much I like it!

LazyDaisyTheWriter said...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 7:51 am:
i love the metaphors!! great job and keep writing

inkblot13 said...

This was really beautiful, there's really no other way to put it.

(PS- will you check out some of my stuff??)

FreedomIsMyVirtue said...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 6:59 am:
You know what? I like this article so much! :))) Keep writing!

YAYwritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 1:38 am:
this is completely and undebatably beautiful.

Jane3 said...
May 10, 2011 at 9:35 pm:

This was insanely amazing!!!  You are a wonderful writer, this was just terrific!!! I loved the personification and metaphors, and the way you described everything, I managed to picture a girl in a cold, plain empty room with wooden flooring and gray walls, and all she found was comfort out of the things she collected.  Then the collection of things slowly became old and there was just a bit of light from a window in the corner of the room.  Maybe...she didn't need him anymore.... (more »)

morethanunusual said...
love love love love love it! :D

lmd_4994 said...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 1:11 pm:
I love it!