The Collector | Teen Ink

The Collector MAG

By doyoulove SILVER, Laingsburg, Michigan
doyoulove SILVER, Laingsburg, Michigan

"Book are a uniquely portable magic." -Stephen King

I used to collect things, did you know that?
I used to collect your smiles. I would tuck them away and keep them for days when the rain beat down on the world.

I used to collect your kisses. Each one was so gentle and tender; I would keep them in my pockets and relive the moments, cherishing the fact that I had them.

I used to collect your hugs. I would neatly hang them in my closet, where they would stay until one of those dreadful nights when I woke up scared of the dark and craving you. I would just pluck one out of the closet and wrap it around myself, relishing its warmth and comfort.

I used to collect your wishes. They were so shiny and beautiful, almost as gorgeous as you. Every night I would add my own – only mine weren't for grandeur or fame, but rather for all of yours to come true.

I used to collect your sighs. I would catch them in a bottle as they drifted from your mouth while we sat on the couch, just admiring each other.

I used to collect your touches. Whether it was a little brush of the arm or a timid caress, I would keep it and store it away in a drawer so I could always have you close at hand, even when you were miles away.

Yes, I used to be quite the collector, but not anymore. Not since you left me alone with nothing new to collect.

Now the smiles have cracked, and the kisses are meaningless. The hugs are wrinkled and eaten away by moths. Your wishes have grown dim and are covered with dust. The sighs have gone stale, and the touches have faded.

I used to collect things, but now I just keep them cluttered together in the bottom of my closet. Sometimes I still take them out and turn them over in my hands, remembering days that are no more – but not often.

I used to collect things, you know. But not anymore. Now I'm just a pack rat, with drawers and closets stuffed with useless mementos.

Dani_Higareda PLATINUM, Hanahan, South Carolina

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
- Winnie the Pooh

You have talent! I totally love this!

Breezette DIAMOND, Uniontown, Arkansas

Every Time I even think of you, all those bad memories just fade away, 'cause your smile's enough, you're enough...

This, is probably the most, truthfully accurate, article i've read since i joined. I love the details, and the meaningful, thoughts. It's just amazing. You should be proud of your self

interestingchoiceofwords, Holyoke, Massachusetts

"Tie a noose around your mind, loose enough to be fine..." Twenty One Pilots, Holding On To You

Amazing. I loved this, so much. I've always been a fan of repetitive sentences like yours, but this is one of the only stories that has truly nailed it.

micshea99 PLATINUM, Matthews, North Carolina
So creative!

ladywave23 said...
ladywave23, Easley, South Carolina

Nothing is impossible as long as you believe

This is such a beautiful piece! I really enjoyed reading this! Never stop writing!

chrisvfree PLATINUM, N/A, Florida

I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face. - Johnny Depp

Wow... that was beautiful. The imagery is amazing.. please do not stop writing, this was really unique.

hollowfirefly PLATINUM, Tampa, Florida

Music is the only thing I've ever believed in as a constant. It's my religion.
-Brendon Urie

That was incredible. I shed a tear at it... It was a beautiful thing... An amazing writer. Don't stop writing :)

on Aug. 31 2012 at 10:46 am
HeatherOlivia GOLD, Solothurn, Other

"All things truly wicked start from innocence." - Ernest Hemingway

I love how it's written like the person was keeping all the carreses and kisses as if they were items. It's inspirational. Beautiful beyond words.

otherpoet SILVER, Wayland, Massachusetts

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

I didn't even feel like I was reading this! I could really SEE what was going on, super impressive! This is an excellent story!

AndSoItGoes01 SILVER, Reno, Nevada

"The winter I told you icicles are magic, you stole an enormous icicle from my neighbors shingle, and gave it to me as a gift, I kept it in my freezer for seven months. Love isn't always magic, sometimes it's melting." -Andrea Gibson

This is BRILLIANT! Great job, it makes me want to read a lot more of your writing. Which i think i'll do :D

Amyelisee BRONZE, Lake Bluff, Illinois
I love it!!!

purpleink26 BRONZE, Liverpool, Other

How can something as fragile as a word build a whole world?

wow, this is really beautifully written!! well done :D

alibi SILVER said...
alibi SILVER, Corry, Pennsylvania

"I'm always positive, except when I'm not."

This is very good! It's kind of sad, but in a really good way!

billgamesh11 BRONZE, Grafton, Massachusetts

"It's always darkest before the dawn." ~Florence and the Machine

Oh wow!

I love the metaphors and just the way you wrote this!!! I know break ups are bad, but it was written so beautifully, i can't help but love this!!! Great Job and Keep Writing!!! :):):);)

on Nov. 25 2011 at 10:34 am
redeemed_love GOLD, Houghton, Michigan

"I do not sit down at my desk to put into verse something that is already clear in my mind. If it were clear in my mind, I should have incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood. We write to understand." C.S Lewis

Mmhmm, so true. Awesome job - you put everything so clearly!

HannahHop said...
HannahHop, Fort Thomas, Kentucky

Hey, first I want to say that at first I wanted to roll my eyes.  I personally do not like "break up" stories, I know break ups are hard but stories have been retold so many times that they lose their magic.

With that said, this piece is brilliant.  You take a new spin on it and the writing is just so good and clever!  I just do not know how to praise this well enough.  Have nothing to suggest to do. 

So even though I hate break up stories, yours is just so clever and good, I loved every word of it:)

ChocoMint SILVER, Bloomington, Indiana

"Love is like swallowing hot chocolate before it has cooled off. It takes you by surprise at first, but keeps you warm for a long time." - Anonymous

"Love starts with a smile, grows with a kiss and ends with a tear." - Anonymous

love the metaphors!  Perfect for the tone and subject.  Great job.  Could you check my story out please?  <><

AllanaCal SILVER, Stillwater, Oklahoma

"There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream." -Author Unkown

Very impressive! I absolutely loved it. I've saved it to my phone, that's how much I like it!

on Aug. 29 2011 at 7:51 am
ThePeaceDaisy BRONZE, Albany, New York

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.” - Unknown
I will change this every week!

i love the metaphors!! great job and keep writing

inkblot13 PLATINUM, Auburn, New York

"If I knew where poems came from, I'd go there"

- Michael Langley, 'Staying Alive'

This was really beautiful, there's really no other way to put it.

(PS- will you check out some of my stuff??)