Aging Love

I smiled at him, his forest-green eyes boring into mine, and an involuntary smile sprang to my face. I used to never smile. I reached to set a long raven lock behind his ear, and as I placed it there delicately, thin, slanting red lines on the back of his neck caught my eye and pain flashed across my face.

Caif saw my alarm, and he reached out to stroke my cheek, eyes twinkling when he saw my face smooth. 'It's ok,' he told me gently, and gave that soft, sweet smile reserved for me and me alone. "I don't feel it anymore, Jules. It doesn't hurt. Don't fret." Don't fret. I loved when he talked like that, so different from everyone around us. Then again, he was different-and so was I.

I stared at his eyes and into their mesmerizing depths, at his perfectly chiseled face just inches from my own, and I acted impulsively. My mother had always told me I was impulsive. Here was the proof.

It wasn't like we'd never kissed before. I remembered that first kiss well. But this time, as my lips crushed his passionately, it was different. My hands twisted in his long black hair so like my own, and his arms wrapped around my waste and pulled me closer, closer. Our hips ground together and our breathing was loud, hearts pounding. We weren't acting like two responsible high school kids. We were acting like two kids about to do something very irresponsible.

Caif was the one to finally break away. His eyes shone with excitement, but, as I looked on in disappointment, gradually dimmed. "Well," he murmured, brows raised. "What brought that on?"

"What brought that on?" I asked, expression defiant. And then I sang. It seemed so clichéd to do that in real life, but Caif always told me that he loved to hear me sing more than anything else in the world, so occasionally, as if I were my own High School Musical, I sang to express my feelings.
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days

I stopped mid-verse and gave him a pointed stare which he ignored. "It's happening, Caif," I told him. "I won't be with you forever. I want to enjoy the time I have." Seeing him start to protest, I interrupted. "I know," I said wearily. "I'm only fifteen. Some people would say I could be with you forever. I know better. Your age process has already started to slow. How am I supposed to be with you when I'm ninety and you don't like a day over thirty?" I was embarrassed to be blinking away sudden tears. I hardly ever cried, either.

Looking at Caif, I saw his face, so full of concern and care, and I knew I never wanted to see another face. None could replace him.

"Sweet," he whispered. "Julia. I love you and I will always love you. And...somehow...I'll find a way. I'll make you live like I do. I won't lose you, Jules. I won't." By the end of Caif's speech, his face had approached mine again. But now it was his move.

Gently, lovingly, he pressed his lips against mine. This kiss was more loving, more...meaningful. Feeling his lips against mine, my fears calmed, replaced with assurance. He wouldn't let me grow old and withered while he stayed young and fresh. He would save me, somehow.

As one we reclined on the wide sofa, our heads resting inches apart, identical midnight-black hair mingling. I was almost asleep when I felt him brush a stray strand of hair back into its' place. "I love you, Julia," he said softly.

"I know," I replied sleepily, and the warmth of his smile lulled me back to rest.

ChelseaKW said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 5:59 pm:
I love it! Great writing style. I can definitely see what is being described in my head. Nice job!

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 6:11 pm :
Thanks!  I'm glad you liked it:)

InkAngel said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 1:01 pm:
all i can say is the truth and the truth is...this is amazing! it dims in comparasion to my writing! lol well keep on! i read that you are working on a book so am i...i finished it but it still needs work done...edit edit edit! lol hope to see more of your work! and i hope to post more for you to see!

Jun. 23, 2010 at 4:38 pm :
Thank you!  And if you post more, tell me, I'll read it:)

ImaginationStation said...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 6:05 pm:

This was great!

I could really feel the emotion in this piece(:

You're doing a great job!

Jun. 22, 2010 at 6:10 pm :
Thank you!:)

DarkPoetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 11:08 pm:
this is really good. and i saw that you were writing a book? thats awesome! I am too. I actually have posted a chaper here. I finished the whole body of it, and Im adding the details now. Its around 345 pages, and im hopping too make it more. Would you look at some of my stuff?

Jun. 22, 2010 at 6:59 am :
Thanks!  Of course I'll read your stuff!

TuffGurl said...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 5:23 am:
I read the "Julia: Chapter One" and I loved it and I love this! And I was so excited because I know the song "Sunrise Sunset" from "The Fiddler on the Roof." I've never seen the play but the song was in my dance recital hahahaha

Jun. 21, 2010 at 7:49 am :
Haha that is funny!  Ya, I like that song, and it fit the story.  I'm glad you like my work:)

JiNXx said...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 11:03 pm:
I love it! It made you think and try to picture what was happening. Can't wait for the next part in the story=)

Jun. 20, 2010 at 11:05 pm :
Thanks!  Although actually, this is the novel that is mostly in my head.  The only other typed part is Julia Chapter 1.  But I'm really glad you like it:)

islandofhope13 said...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 10:14 pm:
Great story, very sweet!!

Jun. 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm :
Thank you:)

Stargirl212 said...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 8:52 pm:
I love it! It does have a twilight-esque feel, but I loved how you really made it your own. Keep it up!

Jun. 20, 2010 at 9:15 pm :
Thank you!  Yes, a lot of people have commented that it seems a bit like Twilight, and I agree, but this is only one part of a much larger story.

fairytaledreamer said...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 11:02 am:
This piece was really good... A little liKE twilight.... I like the way your characters are though and how they are together, and I liked the description too

Jun. 20, 2010 at 5:51 pm :
Thank you!  Yeah, I know it seems a bit Twilight-y, but the rest of the story isn't.  And thanks alot for commenting:)

Aelia said...
Jun. 19, 2010 at 8:34 am:
Very nice story! Reminds me a lot of Twilight, though...

Jun. 19, 2010 at 8:37 am :
I know this excerpt might seem a bit Twilight-y, but read my reply to Maya.  It'll make more sense then.

Aelia replied...
Jun. 19, 2010 at 10:01 am :
Oh, I see, well, I get it now...But, I have to ask, what is a fayeri? Is it a mythical creature you made up...or is it known to everyone but me...?