Aging Love

I smiled at him, his forest-green eyes boring into mine, and an involuntary smile sprang to my face. I used to never smile. I reached to set a long raven lock behind his ear, and as I placed it there delicately, thin, slanting red lines on the back of his neck caught my eye and pain flashed across my face.

Caif saw my alarm, and he reached out to stroke my cheek, eyes twinkling when he saw my face smooth. 'It's ok,' he told me gently, and gave that soft, sweet smile reserved for me and me alone. "I don't feel it anymore, Jules. It doesn't hurt. Don't fret." Don't fret. I loved when he talked like that, so different from everyone around us. Then again, he was different-and so was I.

I stared at his eyes and into their mesmerizing depths, at his perfectly chiseled face just inches from my own, and I acted impulsively. My mother had always told me I was impulsive. Here was the proof.

It wasn't like we'd never kissed before. I remembered that first kiss well. But this time, as my lips crushed his passionately, it was different. My hands twisted in his long black hair so like my own, and his arms wrapped around my waste and pulled me closer, closer. Our hips ground together and our breathing was loud, hearts pounding. We weren't acting like two responsible high school kids. We were acting like two kids about to do something very irresponsible.

Caif was the one to finally break away. His eyes shone with excitement, but, as I looked on in disappointment, gradually dimmed. "Well," he murmured, brows raised. "What brought that on?"

"What brought that on?" I asked, expression defiant. And then I sang. It seemed so clichéd to do that in real life, but Caif always told me that he loved to hear me sing more than anything else in the world, so occasionally, as if I were my own High School Musical, I sang to express my feelings.
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days

I stopped mid-verse and gave him a pointed stare which he ignored. "It's happening, Caif," I told him. "I won't be with you forever. I want to enjoy the time I have." Seeing him start to protest, I interrupted. "I know," I said wearily. "I'm only fifteen. Some people would say I could be with you forever. I know better. Your age process has already started to slow. How am I supposed to be with you when I'm ninety and you don't like a day over thirty?" I was embarrassed to be blinking away sudden tears. I hardly ever cried, either.

Looking at Caif, I saw his face, so full of concern and care, and I knew I never wanted to see another face. None could replace him.

"Sweet," he whispered. "Julia. I love you and I will always love you. And...somehow...I'll find a way. I'll make you live like I do. I won't lose you, Jules. I won't." By the end of Caif's speech, his face had approached mine again. But now it was his move.

Gently, lovingly, he pressed his lips against mine. This kiss was more loving, more...meaningful. Feeling his lips against mine, my fears calmed, replaced with assurance. He wouldn't let me grow old and withered while he stayed young and fresh. He would save me, somehow.

As one we reclined on the wide sofa, our heads resting inches apart, identical midnight-black hair mingling. I was almost asleep when I felt him brush a stray strand of hair back into its' place. "I love you, Julia," he said softly.

"I know," I replied sleepily, and the warmth of his smile lulled me back to rest.

XxDream_in_ColorxX said...
I love your writing.  I hope we'll get to see more of this; I've read the other part, Julia Chapter 1, too.  I also loved your novel.  It's so amazing!  You have a very creative imagination. =]

dreamer said...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 1:19 pm:
I loved this! It was beautifully written and very sweet. :)

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 3:34 pm :
Thanks:D  

Lorelei said...
Jul. 11, 2010 at 8:45 pm:
you need to write more of this!

Jul. 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm :
Thanks!  This is an excerpt from the same story as Julia Chapter 1.

EverLastingLuv said...
Jul. 11, 2010 at 2:25 pm:
I luv it! It is so romantic!! XD

Jul. 11, 2010 at 4:00 pm :
Thanks!:) 

PorcelainShadow said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 10:34 pm:
this made my heart sing! i think i might have just found one of my favorites(:

Jul. 10, 2010 at 8:55 am :
Thank you so much!:)

Emilia901 said...
Jul. 6, 2010 at 12:33 pm:
This reminds me of the book Chaos Code by Justin Richards ( the girl was like 300 but she looked like maybe 12) except yours is more romantic and mysterious in a sense =^_^=

Jul. 6, 2010 at 3:18 pm :
Thanks!  Yeah, the boy is a fayeri, and they have what I guess you could call long-term aging, once they reach their teens they start aging at one fifth the rate of humans.  The girl doesn't yet realize that she is half fayeri too:)

Emilia901 replied...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 1:59 pm :
Cool! let me know when part 2 comes =^_^=

Jul. 7, 2010 at 3:27 pm :
Actually, this is an excerpt from the story, if you want to read the beginning, I posted Julia Chapter 1, that's how it's labeled, and sometime soon I'll probably post chapter 1 part 2.

Emilia901 replied...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 5:26 pm :
O yeah I remember now. Ok then until Julia 2! =^_^+

Jul. 7, 2010 at 5:32 pm :
Haha thanks:)I'm probably going to post the rest of that very soon.

serendipitous615This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 5, 2010 at 5:53 pm:

wow i really liked that! :) it was very discriptive and made a clear picture. love. it.

thanks for commenting on my work!

Jul. 5, 2010 at 6:19 pm :

No problem, it was my pleasure.  Your work was fun to comment on.  And thanks:)

Just a question--I'll check out more of your work, will you check out some of what I've posted of my novel, Red as Coals, Black as Night?

serendipitous615This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 6, 2010 at 2:37 pm :
well thanks! and yes i will i think i read half of the first chapter but i had to get off...but ill finish it!

Jul. 6, 2010 at 3:17 pm :
Thanks!  I can use all the feedback I can get:)

i.ll_be_fine_899This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 10:45 pm:
awwww that was really romantic:))) made me smile. it was very cute, i loved itt!! i could easily imagine it happening in my head and the love in the story felt real reaal^^