Come Find Me, I'm Right Here

By HLFelix GOLD, Teaneck, New Jersey
HLFelix GOLD, Teaneck, New Jersey

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I force the angry response, along with the tears to the back. They would be no use here. They would only cause more trouble.
Instead I look out at the crowded party hall. Music is pounding against the walls and ceilings, making it practically impossible to think. Which most of the people here, wasted or on their way to being wasted college students, don’t really mind. Every face is a blur. They dance together, they drink together, they do idiotic things together. All in all, they do a pretty darn good impression of a bunch of moronic apes on crack.
I don’t get the appeal of getting drunk and wasted and not being able to remember my first name, let alone the night before. I stand off to the sides, along the wall of the hall, a can of ginger ale in my hands.
The people standing next to me ignore me now. They had talked to me a minute ago, just to rub it in my face what a loner I was. Why wasn’t I having fun on the dance floor? Why don’t I loosen up? Maybe then, people would see just how wonderful I was. When I didn’t answer, they just sniggered and moved on, perfectly content to ignore me once more.
I wonder, Am I the only sane one here? The only one who doesn’t want to wind up in someone else’s bed in the morning? The only one who has a sense of self and worth?
I shake my head and look up out at the hall again. The blur of moving humans and strobe lights are just confusing and irritating. I contemplate leaving, when one figure stands out in the crowd. I see him clearly through the blur of the party.
He is tall, dark, and handsome, from what I can tell in my secluded corner. He is looking about him, like he is lost. Like he is searching for someone. That’s when he turns his head and looks straight at me.
I freeze. I suddenly feel like I can’t breathe. Everything in the hall seemingly goes quiet. I get this feeling that I’ve known this person for all of my life.
I push off the wall and walk into the thick of the crowd. I never take my eyes from his. He doesn’t move though. He keeps his eyes locked on mine, like he’d never want to look away.
I make my way to him. I stand in front of him. He towers over me. His hair is a dark chocolate color, though I can’t be positive with the flashing lights. He is wearing jeans and a t-shirt and necklace that fell into his shirt. His eyes are a piercing electric blue. A scar slashes through on his right eye.
I put my hand up to touch his scar. He continues to stare at me, his eyes boring into mine. I feel as though he is reading my soul.
“Gideon.”
“Chloe.”
I start to smile. “I thought I’d never find you.”

on Oct. 30 2010 at 3:49 pm
UndiscoveredSweets PLATINUM, Holly Springs, North Carolina

We keep moving forward, opening new doors and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths- Walt Disney

i seriously agree.  it was like i didn't want it too end. you are amazingly good 

on Jun. 16 2010 at 9:48 pm
PussnBoots GOLD, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

"When life hands you lemons, make apple juice. Then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it." -Unknown
"The world is my pineapple. I just have to figure out a way past the prickly parts." -Me

This is really cool. I love it. It's a little familiar to me, but then there are differences that make it so much more interresting. You have some great talent. ;) Keep writing!

on Jun. 13 2010 at 3:03 pm
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

That's a great story, really interesting, love the comments about the other college kids, lol.  But seriously, you've got talent.

Btw, could you guys check out my work and comment on it?

on Jun. 12 2010 at 8:54 pm
thoughtfulsoul PLATINUM, El Cajon, California
wow that really drew me in. I wish there was more, because it was so good. your a great writer :)

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!