Flirting With Fractions This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

One-eighth of me, or maybe a tenth, is acutely aware of the approximately 22 inches that separate your shoulder and mine. One casual shift later, I'm four inches closer. I can always just blame it on your magnetic force pulling me in.

One or two-fifths of me is analyzing your body language subtly. Have you inched closer to me, or is it just wishful thinking? I'm simply an academically inclined girl, dull next to your golden shine. The odds are not in my favor.

At least one-fourth of me is wishing something would happen already. There's a fair probability that all this waiting will amount to nothing. Is this all just a waste of time? I hesitate to hypothesize.

A good third of me is now close to hyperventilating. Your arm is brushing mine. Either you moved closer or I did, subconsciously. It could be both.

One-half to three-fourths of me is now debating what to do next. My options are laid out, and for once I have no clue. Why don't they teach us this in school, rather than theorems and formulas and all those facts that I so studiously memorize? There is no logical decision. Logic has gone out the window. What a scary world this is.

It turns out I don't have to decide because suddenly you reach for my hand. Or maybe I reach for yours. The details are unclear at this point.

But 100 percent of me likes it.

Robsessed said...

Very creative! Your story just inspired me with the missing link that I was needing for this story I'm working on ~thanks :-)

keep writing

havingfunwriting said...
awww this is so cute! i like how you did it with fractions and stuff. and that girls right! they should teach you how do deal with those emotions instead of fractions in school! :P

topschoolauthor15 said...

wish my guy friend did that when we walked next to each other in the mall we both like each other, but our parents say we can't date till we're a little older, oh well.

great idea love all of the inches stuff (^-^) fav is that he keeps moving closer to her

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was great!  It was unconventional, well-written, and fun to read.  Never stop writing! ~AsIAm

lizzymwrites said...
Very good!! I really liked the way she relates everything to math.

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this!  Both my parents are college math teachers, so I'm pretty into math, and I love how you incorporated the fractions into your piece.  It was very flowing and smooth, nice and sweet.  Great job.

Manders said...
interesting lol. i liked it.

sleeplessdreamer said...
This is cute. Good idea too. Very different. I would just take out that part about "logic". Everything was very quirky and straightforward until that. Kind of broke the hidden rhythm behind the story. Very nice job. I liked it a lot.

taylorf463 said...
I <3 this! The fractions that continue throughout the entire writing are a great idea. They keep the writing exciting and the writing is great, too! This is an excellent piece! :)

Megaphone1927 said...
Jun. 24, 2010 at 4:51 am
Aw, that was cute! The ending was a little cheesy, but the rest of it was really fun and quirky!

GoodmorningSweetheart said...

I really enjoyed this piece Banangela. It flowed really nicely despite the use of tedious fractions. However, this seemly flow was broken for me just once.

"Turns out I don't have to decide because suddenly"

This piece is rather like poetry and I feel "Turns out" is a bit too slang-like for the rest of it. I feel the whole part I quoted can be simply removed.

Otherwise this was lovely.

roxymutt said...
Jun. 19, 2010 at 10:12 am
hha yet again you make me love ur writing! this was probably the coolest way to describe things we all go through...i dont do theroms but i sure do try to figure out the subtle details of the guy i like :) that was great i loved the emotions keep it up

banangela29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 19, 2010 at 10:34 am
Thanks so much for the encouragement !

Spectacles said...
Jun. 19, 2010 at 9:45 am
Really really good, It was sweet and shy and adventurous, and very well written.

Jun. 19, 2010 at 10:33 am
Thank you for commenting on my work, I appreciate it ! :)

Soccergirl1418 said...
This is really good and interesting! Good job!

DanceAwayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is amazing. The whole idea I never would have thought of, and the flow is great. really good job.

--LoveHappens-- said...
I really like this piece. I find it funny yet cute and its great how you incorporated the fractions and I love the story line

katie-cat said...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 8:38 am
I liked this piece.  It was a new twist on the same story.  That's the only thing I thought, that the whole girl-likes-boy-but-doesn't-think-she's-good-enough-for-him thing is a little over done.  But you managed to take this and make it your own.  Well done :)

EllieK. said...
I LIKED THE USE OF FRACTIONS. IT MADE THE STORY REALLY UNIQUE AND ENHANCED THE EMOTION A LOT. THIS WAS REALLY GOOD. KEEP WRITING.