Forever

It was warm but we were in the shade of the cotton wood trees, little clumps of the white fluff blowing past. Leaves crinkled on the ground even though it was the middle of August. He was standing, his back to me carving something into a tree. Even though he was ignoring me, he was still something to look at. Dirty blonde hair just long enough to make him look older, his black t-shirt and worn in blue jeans just looked right on him. I never wanted him to change. His tanned arms continued to etch and stab the tree until a cold breeze shuffled the clouds over the bright sun and a gust of wind made me shiver. I wrapped my arms around my purple dinosaur shirt and my hair fell into my face. I wiggled my bare toes as twigs past over them.

“Are you okay?” He asked, turning quickly.
I don’t think I’ll ever get used to that face. No not flawless perfection, but amazing in the way that I always smiled as soon as I saw those eyes.

“I’m fine.” I rolled my own eyes at his concern. It was hardly necessary.
Then he smiled a wide beaming smile that would have made angels hide their face in shame. He stepped aside and let me see what he was working on. It was a messy, dilapidated heart with our names etched inside it. I smiled and stepped closer to get a better look. I reached out my hand and ran my fingers over the engraved bark as if holding it would make it stay with me always.

“I love you.” I said to him.
He covered my short fingers with his hand. His skin was rough, and much darker than mine. Little Mermaid to his Pocahontas. His palm was warm on my fingers, sending shivers down my spine.
He stole the words right out of my mouth.

“Forever.”

sparkofheart said...
awe :) really cute!

jesusfreakgirl said...
May 22, 2010 at 11:44 am
Awww!!! I loved this! I think I liked it mostly because I could relate to it almost perfectly, and that's always a treat. But it made me smile. Good job :)