Famous Last Words | Teen Ink

Famous Last Words

By B-Rain BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
B-Rain BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida

1 Corinthians 13:8
"Love never fails"

As the church bell struck twelve, the pastor began, “Today we gather to celebrate life at its fullest. Jake Harris was one of the people who always looked on the bright side of life, and never left a stone unturned.” As the pastor continued, Jake’s best friend, Kent Stevens, was standing next to him, just as Jake had always wanted it. “He always kept his friends close...”
Kent Stevens and Jake Harris had been friends for as long as they could remember. Their mothers used to joke and say they were really twins separated at birth. Kent and Jake spent their whole childhoods together. You had never seen two closer friends. They were with each other so often that they were practically brothers. When Kent and Jake were little, they were terrified of thunderstorms. They would always build a fort in Jake’s room out of blankets and towels. As they sat in the fort, they would be huddled close together trying to comfort one another.

As the two went into elementary school, they couldn’t see each other as much, but they continued to be best friends. On Kent’s ninth birthday, Jake and Kent were both in Kent’s backyard. As they were sitting on the ground looking at the stars, Jake said, “Hey Kenny?” “Yeah?” “Have you ever thought that we might not be friends when we’re old?” “No way, dude, we’re brothers, remember? Separated at birth just like mom said.” “Well, yeah, but...” “Brothers.” As Kent said this he held out his hand as they performed their secret handshake.

Kent and Jake had now reached high school. They continued their friendship just as they had promised. As they got older, they could only see each other every once in a while, but when they did, they made the best of it. One thing that comes with high school is the girls. Kent had no problem with this and was getting as much as he could. As for Jake, not so much. Jake liked one girl in particular a lot and was taking it more serious than Kent. Her name was Erin Graham. There was just one problem...Erin didn’t like Jake. This let Jake down, but Kent was there for him. Kent was a great distraction for Jake to get his mind off of Erin.
One night as the two were in Kent’s backyard, again Jake asked, “Kenny, why does God punish me? What did I do wrong?” “What are you talking about?” “I mean, why does He make me go through all of this pain over Erin? I must’ve done something wrong.” “Listen. You didn’t do anything wrong, and God doesn’t punish people, that’s not the way God works. Stop acting so glum about it. I know it hurts, but I can’t stand seeing my best friend depressed all the time.” “Thanks man.” After this they both stuck their fists in and said simultaneously, “Brothers.”

*

*

*

*

*

*

“Brothers” Kent thought to himself, “Forever.” As Jake’s mother was escorted to the front of the church with tears going down her checks, Kent’s eyes began to water. “Jake always protected those who were close to him...” As the pastor spoke, Emily Davidson walked down the middle aisle to the front of the church.

Emily and Jake first met in the third grade. Although Emily won’t admit it, they both had a crush on one another. That was when a long-lasting friendship began. Emily and Jake spent the rest of elementary school liking each other and sending notes on Valentine’s Day. After fifth grade was over, Emily and Jake both went their separate ways and didn’t see each other for years.

When Emily and Jake began high school, they saw each other for the first time in four years. Jake was volunteering at his church to help with the bible school for children. Jake was helping with recreation and Emily and Erin walked in leading first graders. Man, Emily sure had changed since fifth grade. “Emily!” Jake shouted across the gymnasium. He started running over to her. A she turned around and saw him running she beamed. When he got there he realized how pretty she was, he had forgotten over the long four years. Panting, Jake managed to say, “So how have you been?” As they caught up, Emily invited him to a game night with the church youth group. That night was when Jake fell in love with Erin Graham. Jake was new to this whole love thing so he confided in Emily. Emily had known Erin for a long time and she helped Jake get through his problems. Telling Emily about Erin allowed them to have trust and they became great friends.

Later that year, Emily and Jake were eating dinner with a big group of people. One of the guys next to Jake starts hitting on Emily. She ignores him and he starts to call Emily some very inappropriate names. “Hey, whore, listen to me” the guy says. Jake stands up and says, “Don’t you ever talk to her that way.” “Oh yeah? Who are you, the whore’s boyfr--” Jake couldn’t take it anymore. He tackled him and started punching him in the face. “Jake! Stop it!” Emily was pulling him off of the other guy, whose face was now red. She pulled Jake outside and asked with tears in her eyes, “Why did you do that?” “Em, you don’t deserve to be talked to like that, no girl does.” At this Emily lost control and started crying. “Em, why are you crying? I’ve always felt protective of you, almost like you’re my sister.” He hugged her as she cried. Then Emily said, “I know. Jake, I’m not crying because I’m sad, I’m so happy I know there’s someone to protect me like you.” At this even Jake had a tear roll down is check and he whispered in Emily’s ear, “Don’t worry, I am with you always.”

*

*

*

*

*

*

“I am with you always” Emily thought as she reached the front of the church. She faked a smile as she went past Kent, but lost control after she passed. In the back of the church stood the beautiful Erin Graham, Jake’s fiancée. As she walked down the aisle she had a specific time stuck in her head. “Jake never gave up on anything, especially love...”

Erin Graham was a tall, beautiful girl who could knock a guy out by looking at them. Her green eyes were what Jake loved the most, how they sparkled when she looked at him. When Erin saw Jake back in high school, she thought he was another dumb, goofy teenager. When she found out Jake liked her, she didn’t know what to think, and she had a boyfriend and barely even knew Jake. Erin never knew how much pain Jake went through, especially when she ignored him. Jake had started going to his youth group more often, mainly to see Erin, but he never spoke to her. Erin didn’t have a boyfriend anymore, but she thought Jake had moved on and liked Emily. Erin didn’t know what to do, so she stayed friends. Months passed, and Jake thought he should tell Erin he hasn’t moved on. Erin still didn’t like him, she thought of him as a friend. This killed Jake and he fell into a depression. Jake hung in there and pretended like it didn’t even affect him. A month later, Erin’s grandmother died of cancer and she was devastated. This made Jake feel terrible, he couldn’t bear to see her cry. He tried comforting her and let her know he was there for her.

As Jake, Erin, Emily, and Kent graduated high school, things changed. Erin went to the University of Florida, Emily, being as smart as she is, got into Virginia. Jake and Kent both got scholarships to play football for the University of South Florida. The group re-united on their Christmas Break freshman year. When Jake saw Erin he was stunned, she looked prettier than ever. The four sat together at the Christmas Eve service at the church. Jake thought he would give it one more go, he was going to ask Erin out. The whole service he prayed, pleading God to give him a chance. When the service was over at twelve, Jake pulled Erin outside to talk to her. “I know I’ve tried this before, and it didn’t work. But I like you a lot, Erin, and I wanted to know if you wanted to--” He didn’t get to finish, she kissed him.

Four years passed, and the two were still together and happy. One night, Jake and Erin were out to dinner together. Jake got on one knee and said, “Erin Graham, I love you, I love everything about you. I love your personality, you’re beautiful, and you make me feel like I could fly.” A single tear ran down Erin’s cheek. Jake pulled out a ring. “Erin, will you marry me?” “Oh yes, Jake, yes!”

*

*

*

*

*

*

When Erin made it to the front of the church her eyes were watery. A tear ran down her cheek and a finger dried it up. Erin looked up and there stood Jake, smiling. As she smiled back, Jake whispered, “I love you.”

B-Rain BRONZE said...
B-Rain BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida

1 Corinthians 13:8
"Love never fails"

thanks, it really means a lot. I'm usually not that big of a writer but i just had a good idea i had to get on paper!

N.Sweet GOLD said...
on May. 17 2010 at 7:42 am
N.Sweet GOLD, Roslyn Heights, New York

"I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes to you, to make each day count." -- Jack Dawson, Titanic

This was really, really great! Keep writing!