Innocent Kiss; Chapter 3

“So, we stopped contact after his last letter,” I concluded as we paused outside of my cabin.

“That is such a tragic, love story,” Sarah said dramatically. I laughed; it was a low nervous sound, unusual for me.

“Well, welcome to my suite,” I changed the subject as I opened my door and led Sarah inside.

“Wow.” Sarah started to explore every inch. “My room is just a bathroom and a bed. I’m not kidding. You even have a balcony.” I smiled at my new friend’s enthusiasm.

“Its 2 o’clock and we have to get ready to go shopping. You can pick out any of my outfits. You are a size 3 right?” I flew open my closet doors with a flourish.

“Yeah, but what size shoe are you?”

“I’m a 7, why?” I turned to look at Sarah’s feet. They looked smaller than mine.

“Because, I’m a 5,” Sarah said sheepishly. I frowned in concentration.

“Don’t worry; we will figure it out.” I went back to look at my clothes. “Come on and pick something out Sarah.”

-------------------

We both ended up in short flowing skirts (hers was black and mine was white), red button-down shirts, and sandals. Sarah had to borrow my sister’s shoes; Monica is a size 5 too. I had a family of small feet. It felt good to get my feet on solid ground again.

As we started to walk around Havana we caught a lot of boys’ eyes. Suddenly, Sarah stopped dead in her tracks. I went back to her and followed her stare. She was looking at a huge store that was full of perfumes and jewelry. I gaped too. It was having a 50% off sale. I turned to Sarah just as she was turning to me.

“Sale!” we shouted together. We ran inside and went straight to the jewelry. While Sarah was looking at earrings, I noticed a sign that said Free Piercings. A girl was behind the counter smiling at me. She had piercings all over her face and a tattoo of a dragon on her arm.

“Can I get my belly button pierced?” I smiled at the girl and she nodded.

“Sure. Look at these and tell me which one you want. I have a diamond stub but I think that this one would look good on you.” She pointed to a piercing of a dolphin that seemed to wrap around the navel. I loved it. I looked up expectantly just to see the girl holding consent forms. “Are you younger than 18?” I nodded and she frowned.

“I turn 18 in four days,” I offered.

“Well, don’t tell anyone but I will let you get it by yourself if you put the date of your birthday on it. I will say you got it on that day.” She handed me the sheets and I quickly filled them out. I handed them back to the girl and she led me into a back room. I finally noticed her nametag; it read Stacey. I watched Stacey with curiosity as she got the piercing ready.

“Will it hurt?” I wiped the sweat off my hands on my shirt.

“Just a little. You’ll feel a slight pinch and then it’s over. It’s just like getting your ear pierced. You just bleed a little,” Stacey reassured me as she bent to eye level with my belly button. “Ready?” I nodded and closed my eyes. There was a hard pinch and then she was wiping off the blood with an alcohol wipe. I opened my eyes and inspected the ring. It looked good.

“I love it,” I said when Stacey faced me to the mirror.

“Good. Now you just have to clean it with this solution,” she handed me a bottle, “twice a day. I won’t charge you for it considering you did very well and this was your first body piercing.” I smiled my thanks and pulled my shirt back down. I walked out of the room, held up my shirt and pivoted in every direction. Sarah stared at me wide-eyed; she was holding a bag filled with her jewelry.

“You look amazing. I want one,” Sarah turned to look at the selection while I walked over to the other jewelry. I could hear Sarah and Stacey discussing the types of rings when I saw a display of men’s toe rings. I grabbed one, remembering Cody talking about how girls spend time discussing toe rings. I also bought a couple of pairs of earrings and a small bracelet I could add trinkets on.

“Jen, what do you think?” I turned and glanced at Sarah. She pirouetted in every angle showing off her new piercing; it was a small vine that circled the navel. I grinned in approval.

“I love it,” I said and walked over to her. “You want to check out the perfumes on the other side of the store?”

“You know it,” Sarah picked up her bag and joined me. “Let’s go.”

When we walked out of the door Forever Elisabeth by Elisabeth Taylor adorned my bag while Sarah’s held Very Irresistible by Givenchy. I took a glimpse at my watch and smiled. It was almost six o’clock. We were meeting Cody at El Patio in 15 minutes. As we were strolling down the street watching all the street vendors my phone started buzzing. It was a text from Cody.

Do u think u could come a little earlier?

I laughed and texted back.

Sure. Y?

Cuz I just got us an awsme table,

Ok. See u in 5.

I looked up at Sarah.

“We gotta go; Cody just got us a table.” I seized her wrist and hauled her in the direction of the restaurant.

------------

“That was delicious.” I leaned back in my chair and patted my stomach. Cody, who was beside me, did the same.

“Dang Jen, you still know how to pick good restaurants.” He turned to smile at me. I felt my cheeks redden.

“Yeah Jen, this was really good. And cheap,” Sarah added to remind us she was still there. I twisted my body to her with a small apologetic smile. I stood up and placed a twenty dollar bill on the table. Sarah and Cody followed and we all went outside.

“Hey Jen,” a voice in the crowd called out. I looked around and noticed Cameron and his friends heading our way. I grinned and turned to Cody.

“Those are some people we met earlier,” I explained and he nodded.

“Well, let’s get going.” Sarah clapped her hands together. We all glanced in her direction.

“Yeah guys, come on,” Cameron headed out in the direction of the night clubs settled on the island. As we walked along the sidewalk, we paired off until I was sandwiched between Cameron and Cody, not that I minded. We strode up to one of the clubs which had pop music pouring out of the doors. Sarah bounced in step to the beat.

“Is this not totally rad?” she giggled and grabbed a guy’s hand. “Marc and I are going in.” Marc smiled in triumph as Sarah tugged him along. I started to follow but I felt a hand wrap around my wrist.

“Let’s go for a walk on the beach.” Cody’s voice was low in my ear. I nodded; my voice was caught in my throat. He turned to Cameron. “You guys go on. I’ll make sure Jen gets back to the boat.” I chuckled lowly and let myself be pulled away from the guys. Suddenly I was blinded.

“What happened?” I thrust my hands out and searched for a solid object.

“Just trust me.” Cody kept his voice low. I laughed again and walked in the direction he told me to. When my toes finally touched sand, Cody took his hands away. We took our shoes off and left them by the road. I walked up to the sea and closed my eyes as the water lapped at my feet. Cody eased up and stood beside me.

“What are you thinking about?” he murmured. A tingle ran up my spine as I answered.

“I’m thinking about the time we first met,” I whispered back.

“Do you remember that long ago?”

“Yeah,” I admitted. “Didn’t it go like…?”

----------------

I set out my peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the napkin beside my chocolate pudding. I was just about to take a bite when I heard footsteps come up behind me.

“Move. I want that seat.” I turned to see the boy who just spoke to me. He was tall for his age and had shaggy black hair that hung down in front of eyes. He flipped the hair out of his face so I could see his eyes. They were a dark green. I glared at him.

“No,” I commented. I went back to eating my sandwich. Suddenly, I felt a shove and I fell on the ground. My mom always said I was a strong, independent girl; so I pushed myself up and swung around to face him. “Get. Out. Of. My. Seat.”

“No,” he repeated, so I pushed him back. He fell on his face and I slid back into my seat. As he pulled himself up I glanced at him. He stared at me for a moment and then smiled. “You’re okay kid. I’m Cody.”

“I’m Jennifer but you can call me Jen.” I grinned at him as he sat down beside me. I handed him half of my sandwich.

“I think we are going to be best friends Jen,” he laughed and bit into his sandwich.

---------------------------------------------

“I still can’t believe that was first grade,” Cody sat down beside me as I dragged my knees up to my chest.

“I know right?” I took a glance at him. He was staring out at the sea with a thoughtful look on his face. “What are you thinking about?” He smiled at me; his eyes were gleaming.

“Do you really want to know?” When I nodded he looked back at the ocean. “I was remembering our first kiss.” I giggled remembering too.

“Wasn’t it in sixth grade?” I turned to him.

“Yeah,” he said. “We were…”

-------------------------------------------

We were still best friends. Even though Jen and I had a lot of fights, we never stopped being friends. There was just one big problem. Everyone in our class was kissing but us. Neither one of us has had a special person to share that moment with. Jen came to me one day at lunch.

“Everyone is giving me crap about having virgin lips,” she complained sitting down on the lawn beside me.

“Virgin lips?” I chuckled. She glared at me and I stopped, looking back at my friends on the playground.

“It gets so annoying,” She wailed and buried her face in her arms. I sighed dramatically and put my hand on her shoulder.

“Jen,” I poked her but she didn’t budge. “Jen,” I said even louder. She looked up and I could see tears streaming down her face. Her mascara was ruined; she had just begun to use a little makeup-her mom only allowed lip gloss and mascara- so she looked like a raccoon.

“What?” her voice broke and I put my hand on her cheek. She froze in place. I hesitated in the way a man hesitates before a kiss. Then I leaned in and pressed my lips to her frozen ones. As I slowly pulled back I could feel the eyes of the entire sixth grade on us. Jen stared at me wide-eyed and I took my hand away awkwardly. I stood up and got ready to go play basketball when I heard her whisper, “Thanks.”

----------------------------------------------

“Let’s go; it’s getting late.” My voice broke on the last word. I wiped my tears on my arm but they kept coming down.

“Jen, are you crying?” I could hear Cody’s voice, frantic as he reached out to me. I pulled back, scared.

“No, I’m fine,” I quickly answered but a sob escaped me, giving me away. I crumpled to the ground and cried. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” Cody’s voice was right beside me now. “Sit up Jen.” I obeyed and he sat up beside me.

“It’s just been so long.” I leaned against his strong shoulder fitting into him like I always belonged.

“I know,” he whispered and I looked out onto the horizon. The colors of the sunset popped out at me. The vibrant oranges, purples, yellows, and reds didn’t seem to fit my mood. Suddenly, I sat up alarmed. “What’s wrong?”

“I have to go.” I felt a rush of déjà-vu as I seized my purse and ran away. I ran away from him, the memories, and the love I used to have.

-----------------------

I watched her run away with graceful movements, some that I cannot even manage. Her dark brown hair flew out from behind her as she rounded the corner and moved towards the boat. I felt broken inside. It felt just like the day I left her at the airport. I realized that she had taken half of me with her. But I couldn’t love her; I love Emily. I stalked off in concentration towards the boat.

On my way there I was seized by small arms that didn’t quite fit around my waist. I turned to look at Emily who had a huge smile on her face. I contrasted her with Jen. Emily was short in all her features; her height was five foot even, her blonde hair hung straight, cut at her chin, every day, and her hands can barely reach my cheek. Jen was totally different. She was a tall 5’9”, she had long lithe arms and legs, and her eyes shined with excitement every time I laugh or smile at her. I leaned down to Emily’s level to hear her voice.

“I love you,” her wind chime voice declared.

“I love you too,” I said back before I kissed her. But there was something in the back of my mind telling me that I didn’t.

-------------------------------------
The tears stung my eyes as I neared the boat. I swiped my hand over my face only to see it had become black with my mascara. I hesitated at the entrance, wondering if I made the right choice. I left the most important person in my life.
I shrugged to myself and moved towards my room. When I got into my suite, I glanced at the clock against my better judgment. It was only nine. Sighing, I snatched a book from my side table and was soon lost in the magic of wizards, magnificent beasts, and castles.

undefined_passion said...
Please write more! I know it's been a year, and you're probably not on here anymore, but PLEASE write more! If you are, I really need more. pleeeeeeease? :)

Kev-Girl said...
Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:19 am:
This is realyyyyyyyyy good! I wanna read more! Wont you please please please with cherries on top write more? This is so good!

vanessasandra said...
please please please please please please please please please write more of this story? I AM IN LOVE WITH YOUR WRITING. I always seem to fall in love with the guys you make up myself ;)

jacksonbaby2010 said...
Jan. 22, 2011 at 6:16 am:
omg please keep writing!!! i really want to read the whole book! and that is saying something for me! please!!!!

fallenangel18k said...
Aug. 10, 2010 at 11:06 am:
i dont just WANT more i NEED more........this is soooo great and if u dnt write more i will be left hanging and this is not a story that can leave me hanging lol

LiveLife2theMax said...
Jun. 30, 2010 at 2:44 pm:

awesome! i loved the flasback bit.
but when you write more (because obviously you have to write more) please don't let Jen get back with that Cody guy. he's a tool :(
okay..

well make sure that more comes quickly.
like super quickly

please?

unwrittenloveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 8:28 am :
Just wondering...why don't you like Cody? When I wrote it I planned on letting them fall in love....

LiveLife2theMax replied...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 2:54 pm :

he hurt her.. really badly
she should forgive him but not too quickly, make him work for it ;)
but she deserves better (i think)

let her have some fun with that cameron guy or the guy she went on the date with :)

but dude, its your story, and i'm gonna read it and probably love it anyway :L

Jul. 2, 2010 at 12:25 pm :
haha. That was the plan. :) COdy will most probably have to beg for her forgivness. :) Sorry I haven't posted more yet. :P It's summer and I've been too lazy. ;)

pinkypromise23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 2, 2010 at 6:21 am:
this is soo good!! write more!!

pinkypromise23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:42 pm :
please write more!

TheSummoningFreak said...
May 25, 2010 at 3:02 pm:
this is so freaking good, i want more!!!!!!!!!

TheReader said...
May 16, 2010 at 2:37 am:
Please write more to this story!

SmileyFace94 said...
May 13, 2010 at 1:18 pm:
i love it! when i read the part when they look back when they were younger, i knew it sounded fimilar. i love how u took one of your short stories and made a bigger story to it. cant wait to see what happens next

melodeess said...
May 12, 2010 at 10:05 am:
PLEASE keep on wriiting!! IM HOOKED :D