Soul-Mate | Teen Ink

Soul-Mate

By a7xangel SILVER, East Hampton, New York
a7xangel SILVER, East Hampton, New York

My heart still aches in sadness, and secret tears still flow. What it meant to lose you, no one will ever know.

My name is Meredith Lester...I'm 17, and I've been told my life is almost over. "I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but we've found a rapidly growing tumor in your brain, and there's not much we can do about it. All we can do is pray for a miracle." Wonderful. I have no idea what to expect these next few months, other then many doctors appointments, MRI's, and prescription drugs. I was 14 when I first fell in love. 3 years later, I still am.

I met Brad Coleman one sunny November afternoon. We hung out a lot, but seeing as he was quite a bit older then me, we didn't want to make anything official. It wasn't until after I turned 15 that I ended up realizing I wanted so much more. We got into a huge fight, because I wanted more, and he just didn't want to jeopardize anything. We ended up going about 2 and a half months without talking. One day we saw eachother in town. I wanted to make it right. Turned out he'd been missing me the same amount. Here it was the end of April, and I was with my best friend again. May 7th was the day he asked me to be his girlfriend. From then on, it was like I had the most perfect relationship ever. I loved Brad with all my heart. Our relationship continued until May of next year...May 2nd to be exact. It was 1 AM when he picked me up from my house that morning. "Where are we supposed to be going?" I said, puzzled as to why he'd wake me up for any reason whatsoever. "Taking you to Montauk," he said with a smirk on his face. Oh he was so cute when he had that smirk. "I have a surprise for you." I was pretty excited. I knew he was going to take me to our favorite spot out on Napeague beach. God how I loved him. About halfway there, it started to pour. "Aw damn," he said under his breathe. I chuckled to myself, thinking how cute it was when he swore to himself. It was almost 1:30 when we got onto the stretch that leaded to Montauk. Brad hated driving on it, but I knew he was doing it just for me. He started speeding; this wasn't anything new to me. It was kind of ironic, how when he switched on the car radio that night, our song started to play. "Gotta Be Somebody," was the song we had picked to describe our love for eachother. The song was coming to its chorus when mine and Brad's relationship all flashed before my eyes. My world went black.

I awoke in a hospital bed 5 days later, May 7th. It would've been mine and Brad's one year anniversary. I remember thinking to myself, "Get me out of this damn hospital and let me see my baby!" Of course I didn't say that out loud. I saw my mother sitting in a chair next to my bed. She had fall asleep on my legs. At the moment I was going to wake her up, a nurse walked in and gladly exlaimed, "Oh sweetheart! You're awake!" I mumbled, "Barely," but I don't think she heard me. I gave her a grim smile. My mother then jerked up her head and stared into my eyes. A smile popped up on her face and she said, "I'm so glad you're okay." I yawned and asked, "What happend?" The smile quickly vanished off her face. "Well..." she started, but I quickly interuppted her with, "Where's Brad?" He was the only one I could be thinking about at this moment. My mom glanced away for a quick few seconds, and looked back. "Well...Meredith, honey..." "What happend?!" I yelled, started to panick now. "You and Brad were in a car accident a few nights ago...and...well I'm sorry sweetheart...but he didn't make it." I stared blankly at her for a few seconds, and then started to laugh. "Ha ha, very funny...now really, what happend?" I said. My mother just looked at me, with that look on her face that she always gives me when she's about to tell me bad news. "I'm sorry, Meredith." I sat there in pure disbelief. Was she serious? I thought to myself. Next thing I knew tears were flowing from my eyes. I started screaming and crying and asking God "Why?!" over and over and over again. It's just not fair. My mother just sat there at the edge of my bed, holding my hand and trying to get me to calm down. I wasn't going to calm down. Never ever! I wanted just him back.

Within the next few minutes, my screaming and crying had turned into silent, slow dripping tears, and my mind seemed to be wandering off in a million different directions. My mother got up, kissed me gently on the forehead, and said, "I'll be right back, I'm going downstairs to get your father and brother. And somebody else wants to see you." I hoarsly whispered, "Okay." I layed there, looking up at the plain, white ceiling. My God it was ugly...Brad hated the color white. Just then, my mother entered the room, along with my father, brother...and Martha? What the hell was Martha doing here?! Martha was Brad's mother. She was a very beautiful woman, always very nice. I still can't believe she committed suicide within months of the accident. My father came over to me and kissed me on the cheek. "Glad to see you're okay," he said. My brother just came up to me, gave my arm a tight squeeze, and told me he loved me. Martha came closer and sat on the edge of the bed. She politley smiled, and said, "How are you?" I gathered up as much of a smile that I could, and said, "I could be better...but the real question is, how are you?" I saw her eyes start to water. "You know Brad would've wanted both of us to say that we're okay..." she paused, "So I'm okay." I could see her lips quivering. She quickly glanced down to her pocket. "I have something for you..." she said.

Brad was planning on proposing to me that night. Within a week I was back home, completley ignoring the fact that my leg was broken from the accident. Constantly thinking that all of it would've never happened if he had never met me. I never gathered enough strength to get up and go to school for the rest of the year, so I just did in summer school. Each night before curling up in my bed, I'd cup the beautiful cushion-cut diamond ring in my hands, and whisper sweet nothings to it as I did to him.

It's been almost a year since I lost him. And now that I'm dying, I actually believe in what they call soul-mates. Within the past month, I've felt him with me everywhere I go. He knows that my time is coming, and he knows I still love him, and always want to be with him. In less than 6 months, I will be with my baby, and my soul that was crushed into a million little pieces when I lost him, will finally be free. When I die, I will have found my soul-mate again.

It's scary yet exciting that when I die my soul will, hopefully, be with him again.

on Apr. 9 2010 at 11:15 am
AlexMariexx BRONZE, Florissant, Missouri
 this is really good! i liked it. maybe go over it to fix some minor spellings and grammar things but very good. keep it up (: