More Than a Fling This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

It is nearing twilight. The sun is hanging low in the sky, hesitating above the horizon as if contemplating whether or not it wants to go down.
Holding a martini glass of blackberry lemonade in my left hand, I slide open one of the big glass doors that make up the entire back wall of our summer home, and step out into the night. Soft, warm sand fills the spaces between my toes as I walk slowly down toward the beach, savoring the summer evening ambiance.
Looking through a few of the pine trees that stand between me and the lake, I see the silhouette of a man sitting on the end of my favorite dock. I make my way down the set of rickety wooden steps that separates the beach from the cabins, and walk to the end of the dock, sitting down next to him.
“Hey, Jude.” I say casually, dangling my feet into the slightly chilly water below.
“Hey,” he replies softly.
I take a sip of my lemonade and then set it behind me, turning to face him.
“What’s up?”
“What do you mean?”
“You’re staring meaningfully off into the distance, sitting on a dock and watching the water at twilight... something’s up.”
He laughs quietly and smiles at me, mocking me. “I can’t enjoy nature without something being ‘up’?”
“Not you. Not at twilight, and not with that look on your face. Are you contemplating the universe?” I ask, winking at him.
“Not the universe... just contemplating you.”
I try not to let him know that I am surprised by this, but apparently the expression on my face betrays me.
“Is that weird?” He asks.
“No, I suppose you have permission to contemplate me,” I joke, “but why tonight?”
“It’s as good a time as any.” Jude replies, nonchalant. Then suddenly, his features harden and his tone becomes more serious. “And besides, we’re going home tomorrow. I wish I could stay here, but I can’t. What’s going to happen to us?”
I study his translucent blue eyes, caught off guard. I hadn’t put a lot of thought into how this was going to end.
“Jude, we’ve only known each other for three weeks.”
“It feels so much longer than that.”
“I know,” I say gently, taking his warm hands in mine. “You’re a sweet guy. You’re great. Really. But this... this was a summer fling. I had the time of my life, but we both have our own lives to get back to, outside of here.”
Jude’s face has softened, and he moves his gaze from me, back to the still water in front of us.
“So you’re saying we should just break it off right here and now?” He sounds dejected. Crushed.
“I don’t want to, but I don’t see how we have a choice.”
“But we do have a choice, we can make it work!” Jude says with a new resolve, trying hard to convince me. “Long distance relationships aren’t all doomed. We can make it work.”
I let out a long sigh, thinking. I’m not typically an optimistic person. But Jude... there’s something special there. There’s something different with us.
He shifts, turning so that he is facing me instead of the lake.
“Anne Marie Miller. You are cynical. You hate children, asparagus, and country music. You want nothing more than to explore the world and become an artist. You want a pet chameleon named Gustav, your favorite color is chartreuse because it has a funny name, you are terrified of dragonflies, and you can’t sleep at night without listening to classical music. You’re beautiful. You have made these three weeks the best that I have had in a very long time. I’ve learned a lot about you, but there are even more things that I don’t know, and I want more than anything to find them out. I know that this is more than just a summer fling. There is something between us – something stronger. And I know that I’m not willing to give that up so easily.”
I stare back at Jude with my mouth slightly open, stunned.
I don’t get much of a chance to respond, however, considering that he is suddenly a lot closer to me.
By this time, the sun has finally slipped beneath the horizon, and the moon is beginning to show its face. We are bathed in starlight, and the atmosphere seems so perfect that it’s almost unreal.
My eyes are locked to his, and he is slowly drawing closer. I, impatient as I am, don’t wait for him to close the distance between us. Leaning forward, I press my lips firmly to his, and close my eyes.
The moment is sincere – meaningful. Loving. I allow myself to forget about the world around me, and suddenly, Jude and I are the only ones left in the universe.
I start to pull away, but quickly think better of it and pull him back to me, winding my fingers through his curly brown hair.
When we finally break apart, I can’t think of what to say. Or even if I should say anything. I feel amazing. Content and joyful. Jude’s eyes are lit by the stars overhead, and I can’t look away from them. They’re entrancing.
In that moment, I decide to put my logic aside. To ignore my better judgement, and follow my heart instead. It may sound poetic and cliche, but I feel it. That sense that nothing matters more than being with another person. And right now... Jude is that person.
“Okay. Yes.” I say, my voice still light and gentle.
“Okay, we can stay together?”
“Yes.” I say, my voice growing stronger, along with my resolve. I am grinning now, nearly to the point of laughing.
Jude stands and pulls me up with him. “Really?” He laughs with joy.
“Yes!”
Jude pulls me into a tight hug, and whispers, “This is great! You’re great.”
I giggle excitedly into his shoulder. Shortly thereafter, however, I realize how late it is and that I need to be getting back to the cabin.
I pull away and take a step back from him, but slide my hand into his at the last second.
“We’ll make it work?” I ask sincerely, searching his eyes.
“We’ll make it work.”
I grin, kiss him lightly on the cheek, and step back out onto the warm sand.

SweetTart said...
simply beautiful in every way, You are a truely talented writer & I love all your work. It's a lot better than A lot of the stuff on this website that gets more attention haha but amazing job, loved every word, keep writing:)

Maverick2217 said...
Ok, that was pretty amazing. You should definitely write a book because I want more to happen:)

Someone_Who_Is_Loved said...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 8:33 pm:
I love ur stories.... :) They're so true, and heart warming. I think ur my fave writer on this site... Check out my work?

feirce said...
that was lovely.

burningembersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love your writing style.  I felt like I was really there.  Keep up the great work! 

xLoVeLyCuTiEe428x said...
Apr. 8, 2010 at 9:46 am:
That's so cute. I loved it. Keep writing; you've got too much talent to waste it. Good job! Plz write more.

luvdance said...
Omg that was adorable!! It was soo cute. That sounds kindof like something that happened to me recently. There was a guy that I kindof had something going on with him but he moved all the way across the country and we text every now and then but I've had to move  on. This story hit close to home for me. anyways awesome writing!!! That was so sweet

BookFreak14 replied...
May 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm :
LOVE your stories... They are intancing and I even loose myself in them. Keep it up!