One of The Guys (Chapter One)

“You’re Ty Love?!” The admissions director questioned.
I stood there, confused with her sudden concern.
“Uh. Yes. That’s me.” I spoke softly. This was bad enough having to attend some brand new high school half way across the world for the first time, but now she was questioning my identity. This day was not going well.
“Oh my! Pardon me Miss but I believe we should bring your father in. It appears we have a bit of a problem on our hands.”
My military clad father showed up soon after. He walked right past me on his way to the office. No “Hey Honey.” Or “What’s up?” He didn’t even notice me as he marched up to the head of admissions to shake her hand.
“Good Morning Mr. Love, You can call me Nadine.”
“And you can call me General.” My father spoke bluntly. He made sure everyone called him General, including me.
“Oh. Well. It’s a pleasure. It turns out we have quite an interesting situation.” She said, trying to make the most of his rude manner.
“I believe my lawyers and I were assured during the admission process that there would be no trouble. I was under the impression that my hefty donation would take care of any trouble.” My father threw money around to take of minor problems; I guess my education was one of them.
“I apologize General but it appears there was some miscommunication on your part. Did you even look into the school your daughter would be attending?” She questioned.
“I have a military to take of Nadine, my lawyers and assistants were in close contact during the process. If you don’t mind could you please make the point of this meeting apparent?”
“General, it appears we have admitted your daughter to an all boys academy.” She said with a slight laugh.
My heart stopped for a moment. Was my father that oblivious to the importance of choosing a high school? He paid so little attention to the school that he had me accepted into a boy’s prep school. The sad part was that he was so willing to ship me off to a school he knew so little about. If I ever confronted him on this matter he would just tell me “My military is important as well.”
The problem with that statement is that his military is the only thing important. My mother died two years ago and since then he has thrown himself into his career so that he doesn’t have to look at me. I’m practically an exact replica of my mother. He can’t stand to even look at me so I’ve been sent to boarding school after boarding school while he finds the one that takes away the most of my time at home. This school was perfect. It didn’t require me to go home over Christmas, or any other holiday at that matter.
“You signed a legal document implying that you would accept her, regardless of appearance. You realize I could sew for this?” He threatened.
“Yes, but we didn’t realize she was a girl! You must admit, her name is quite deceiving.” Nadine pointed out.
“Well I can’t just take back my large donation; you could build a new school with that money.”
My family was always very well off, finance wise. My father made quite a bit as a General through all of his traveling and endless time at work. My mother on the other hand was an artist. She made so little money she could barely afford art supplies with her earnings. But she didn’t care. She told me that as long as you’re doing what you love, money wouldn’t seem important. I guess that’s easy to say when you have a husband making money left and right but I always admired her drive.
Nadine and my father talked for a while longer, although it sounded more like an argument. I sort of just spaced out then, imagining my next school. Would this teach him a lesson, or would this somehow end up as my fault. Or maybe we’d never discuss it.
“Tyler!” My father spoke harshly. He only occasionally called me by my full name of Tyler. It was my mother’s maiden name.
“Yes. Sorry, won’t happen again General.” I said, sitting up straight.
Nadine watched with sympathy in her eyes.
“Darling, we have a question for you.” She said softly.
“Ty, would you like to be the first women to ever attend Prescott Academy?”
My heart skipped a beat. What kind of question was that? Being the only girl in a boy’s high school? Despite the obvious troubles, that is every girls dream. Sure I may not have that group of best girl friends but I was always better friends with guys anyway. This was a weird, amazing, troublesome, and tempting situation. I went with my gut on this one though and spoke with total confidence.
“What an honor.” I smiled.
My father turned his head sharply toward my direction. His eyes said it all but he spoke anyway, “What a brave decision Tyler.” He said, still in amazement. I don’t think he anticipated my answer. I was always the shy girl so to accept such a scenario must have taken him off guard.
Just when I thought a hug was in order, he stuck out his hand for me to shake.
“I will see you this summer.”
He left the office then, leaving Nadine and I to react. That was an all-time low for him. He left me with a handshake.
I turned to Nadine who gave me a small sympathetic smile.
“I apologize on my father’s behalf.” I said to Nadine, but my face was directed toward the floor.
“Don’t be. He’s hardly a father.” She said.
No one had ever understood that he was no longer a father, but more of a guardian. He paid for my expenses and gave me a home but never showed that he loved me. Nadine was able to get that and I respected her now, for at least grasping the situation.
“Well, let’s go meet the boys.” She smiled.

M.S.S. said...
Keep me interested throughout the entire time....great work!!! Ready for Chapter 2

justbe-3 replied...
Apr. 18, 2010 at 10:33 am :
Thank you so much! I submitted the second chapter, i'm just waiting for the approval now. I hope you like Chapter two just as much!

justbe-3 said...
Mar. 28, 2010 at 2:45 pm:
I'm going  to submit Chapter Two soon!

agsmiley888 said...
Mar. 23, 2010 at 5:38 pm:
this is awesome i cant wait for the next chapter

justbe-3 replied...
Mar. 23, 2010 at 8:04 pm :
you totally made my day with that comment. thanks a ton! i'm going to start writing chapter two tomorrow. thanks for the support!

TheReader said...
Mar. 22, 2010 at 11:52 pm:
I totally loved it. Your writing was well writen and I could just picture the rest of this story. Can't wait for part 2

justbe-3 replied...
Mar. 23, 2010 at 5:04 pm :
Wow thanks, I really appreicate it. I'll start writing part two soon, once I figure out where I want to go with this story. Thanks again.