The Art of Love

Saturday morning. Composition class.

I think that was when I first admitted it to myself: I was in love with him. It was almost unfair. I didn’t have a say in the matter at all. I had fallen for him, whether I liked it or not.

The room was filled with the beautiful noise of thirteen young composers fighting with their pianos to make music. I wanted to write something incredible for him, but I was having trouble. Nothing I composed was good enough.

I thought back to when we first met. I saw him drawing in the hallway at school — a half-finished black and white portrait that was vivid even without color. I couldn’t look away. I also wasn’t watching where I was going and collided with a tall senior. The collision made me release the composition notebook in my hand. Sheet music that I had composed flew everywhere. To my horror, he picked up a few sheets, scrutinizing the music before returning them to me. He must have thought I was some sort of freak.

I shook myself out of the memory. I had to focus on this music. Taking a deep breath, I picked up my pencil with my left hand and placed my right hand on the piano in front of me. And, to my surprise, the music came. He inspired me to find the melody in my heart, and I let it flow onto the page.

You could say I am a hopeless romantic, because I like to imagine that he can hear the music I wrote. In my mind, he thinks it is achingly beautiful and, in return, he draws my portrait.

Sometimes when I play his piece I imagine what the portrait looks like. It’s perfect.

I’ve always been able to draw anyone I want. Portraits are my forte. But for some reason, I can’t draw her. I know exactly what she looks like — yet I can’t get her portrait to look right. Every stroke is a mistake.

One day, I saw her walking down the hallway. I was trying my best not to look at her. She was frustrating me. What was different about her that was causing me strife? Sure, she was beautiful and I had no chance with her. She must have thought I was an anti-social weirdo, just sitting by myself and drawing all the time. That was a little discouraging.

But the point was that I couldn’t draw her. This was killing me.

While she was walking down the hallway that day, someone crashed into her. Her face turned horror-struck when she dropped her composition notebook and paper flew all over the hallway. I picked a few sheets up for her, gazing at them for a moment. I was reluctant to give the sheets back. I knew that the sooner I returned the music, the sooner she would be gone.

I think that was when I realized that I was in love with her. Like some sort of lovesick Romeo, I was in love with her.

After she had collected her music and left, I flipped to a new page in my sketchbook. I finally trusted myself and drew her. No mistakes this time. The right pencil strokes came to me fluidly — almost like music.

SilverLuna said...

Fan-flippin'-tastic!(: 12 thumbs up!

elizabethlaura replied...
thank you!! :)

malibuloveschanel said...
one word:GREAT:)

JacobC said...
GREAT.    

DanceAwayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this. The story is really interesting and clever. The only thing was I was a little unclear at first when they switched places. but really awesome awesome job!!

elizabethlaura replied...
thank you very much :)

eRiCa153 said...
reaallly good storyyy :)

SandyC said...
very cute..i luv the POV switches..and everything about this story, the fact that both are artists, both love each other, both are trying to use their talent to create something for the other, but it doesn't work until they imagine the first time the met....the list goes on and on....great job:)

andreag said...
awesome! made me smile :)

SUPERMANDwightHoward said...
May 10, 2010 at 8:38 am
At first I thought it was a typical romance but reading through I saw it get much better. Very good writing

DHgirl said...
Apr. 6, 2010 at 1:41 am
one of the BEST peices ive read very vvery good

elizabethlaura replied...
thank you so much :)

dakotagirl12 said...
you have a good writing style, good job

SageSin said...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:00 am

This is a cherishing piece i wish i could write romanctic sections so well ! and i love that they are both so creative and so into their work that they connect adn believe that they are each others muse's

///,..,^ <-----this is fang he says HI!

P.s.. yes i know im weird adn i enjoy every minute!

DHgirl replied...
Apr. 6, 2010 at 1:42 am
hi fang :)

kirby~bug replied...
hi fang!!!;):)

forever_his1993 said...
this is so amazing! beautifully written. i loved it.

Saysh said...
Mar. 29, 2010 at 8:17 am
Awwww! :) i loved it! it was very cute and I like how you switched the perspectives! really great job!

elizabethlaura replied...
aw thanks :)

Angie.O said...
this was very cute! i expected a bit more though. nice work! :)

enchanted4yu said...
Mar. 28, 2010 at 2:18 am
I love how you do the story from both the boy and girl's point of view! This was fun to read