The Art of Love

Saturday morning. Composition class.

I think that was when I first admitted it to myself: I was in love with him. It was almost unfair. I didn’t have a say in the matter at all. I had fallen for him, whether I liked it or not.

The room was filled with the beautiful noise of thirteen young composers fighting with their pianos to make music. I wanted to write something incredible for him, but I was having trouble. Nothing I composed was good enough.

I thought back to when we first met. I saw him drawing in the hallway at school — a half-finished black and white portrait that was vivid even without color. I couldn’t look away. I also wasn’t watching where I was going and collided with a tall senior. The collision made me release the composition notebook in my hand. Sheet music that I had composed flew everywhere. To my horror, he picked up a few sheets, scrutinizing the music before returning them to me. He must have thought I was some sort of freak.

I shook myself out of the memory. I had to focus on this music. Taking a deep breath, I picked up my pencil with my left hand and placed my right hand on the piano in front of me. And, to my surprise, the music came. He inspired me to find the melody in my heart, and I let it flow onto the page.

You could say I am a hopeless romantic, because I like to imagine that he can hear the music I wrote. In my mind, he thinks it is achingly beautiful and, in return, he draws my portrait.

Sometimes when I play his piece I imagine what the portrait looks like. It’s perfect.

I’ve always been able to draw anyone I want. Portraits are my forte. But for some reason, I can’t draw her. I know exactly what she looks like — yet I can’t get her portrait to look right. Every stroke is a mistake.

One day, I saw her walking down the hallway. I was trying my best not to look at her. She was frustrating me. What was different about her that was causing me strife? Sure, she was beautiful and I had no chance with her. She must have thought I was an anti-social weirdo, just sitting by myself and drawing all the time. That was a little discouraging.

But the point was that I couldn’t draw her. This was killing me.

While she was walking down the hallway that day, someone crashed into her. Her face turned horror-struck when she dropped her composition notebook and paper flew all over the hallway. I picked a few sheets up for her, gazing at them for a moment. I was reluctant to give the sheets back. I knew that the sooner I returned the music, the sooner she would be gone.

I think that was when I realized that I was in love with her. Like some sort of lovesick Romeo, I was in love with her.

After she had collected her music and left, I flipped to a new page in my sketchbook. I finally trusted myself and drew her. No mistakes this time. The right pencil strokes came to me fluidly — almost like music.

krzykrys said...
Aug. 1, 2010 at 5:42 am
i love how you told both sides of the story it made it perfect but also sad because you dont know if they will ever tell eachother. good work. keep writing!

A_Dreamer said...

Aweee, this is so sweeeeet! <3333

I like how even though it wasn't that long, you still told the whole story.

I love how they believe that each of them doesn't like the other, but they do. :)

cantfindascreename said...
Wow! well like everybody else, i think that this is incredible! I loved the change in perspectives, and i think that, even withinh the short amount you wrote, the characters came across very well and very real.  It could have been cheesy or whatever, but the way you wrote it was just really amazing! soo good!

elizabethlaura replied...
thank you so much! :)

MedievalMouse94 said...
This is amazing. I can hear both of the character's passion for what they do, and their frustration when one person makes it difficult. I love it! :3 

sleeplessdreamer said...
Ok, I think I just fell in love with your male lead. Watch out, I just might steal him from you. Haha, seriously though. Nice job. I really like this. You have a really easy-going writing style that makes the emotions front and center. Love it. 5 stars.

brennamarie said...
I absolutely love your imagery.
You have painted a picture in my mind's eye of this situation.
That is exactly what writer's struggle to do. :)
Amazing job. Keep it up.

i.ll_be_fine_899 said...
OMGG THIS IS SO ROMANTICALLY BEAUTIFUL!! THIS IS AMAZING! OMG I LOVEE HOW U SWITCHED FROM HER PERSPECTIVE TO HIS AND U MADE THEIR STORIES SOUND KINDA SIMILAR:DDDDD *sigh* :)) good job!!! ur a very talented writer!!

elizabethlaura replied...
thank you very much :)

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 10:21 am

I totally love this it's completely amazing!  GREAT job!  I LOVE how you did the two points of view, and how they were thinking the same thing.  Amazing!  Keep writing!

Btw, anyone who sees this, will you check out my work and comment on it?

roxymutt said...
HOLY **** that was amazing i really loved it your words were beautiful and the story is amazing... this always happens ppl think that others dont even know they exist when in realitiy they feel the exact same way...people need to figure out the other loves them back!!! :D

toflyaway said...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 1:17 am
Fabulous! I love the two point of views, and the pretty honest capturing of thoughts that can be related to, when you really love someone :)

. replied...
Wow this is great!!! I love the ending too... but I want to know what happens next...

banangela29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Very, extremely good. We get a lot of...average writers on this website, and ive gotten usedf to expecting that out of articles I give feedback on. But this was an extremely pleasant surprise. The only things I can complain about is when you switch Point of Views, its a little confusing whats going on at first and I had to go back and read it a couple times to realize that the point of view had switched. And, when she says she collided with a tall seior, I didnt connect it with the fact that ... (more »)

lisagirlll said...
Jun. 2, 2010 at 11:24 am
nice writing style !

EllieK. said...
Sigh! I cannot tell you how much i wish life could be this sweet. I know the feeling in this story though. I liked the idea and will there be more?

burnt-toast said...
ohh, i loved this so much. I wish life could be like this too :( ahh, your story just stirred up a whole bunch of emotions i've been trying to repress! thanks for posting it though, because i'm glad it was there to be read :)

Lost-In-Life said...

Wow! Amazing! We all wish life was like this. Girl likes boy, thinks he hates her. Boy likes girl, think she hates him. Only thing is I've read so many stories like this one. But this one sure is up there!

crazy_on_the_inside said...
i'm speechless. i love it so much. =D

SilverLuna said...

Fan-flippin'-tastic!(: 12 thumbs up!