Best Friends | Teen Ink

Best Friends

By JohnnyDeppLover123 DIAMOND, Holyoke, Massachusetts
JohnnyDeppLover123 DIAMOND, Holyoke, Massachusetts

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.
William Shakespeare

I was four when I met John. It was kindergarten. We had our lunch together because everyone else ignored us. We took out our matching spider-man lunch boxes and took out the lunch our mother’s packed for us. We both hated fruit punch (say our mothers) and had our apple juice boxes. We had our crunchy peanut butter with small pieces of banana inside. We both looked really funny because our peanut butter was really sticky. We sat next to each other for the rest of the day and snuggled with each other with the stuffed animals they gave us. This was the day I made my new best-friend.
I went home really exited to tell my mom about my new friend. But I did really fast and messed up quite a bit because I had just recently learned how to talk full sentences. She simply laughed and said “Good-job!” I couldn’t sleep thought I didn’t know why because I was only four years old. Every time I saw John a smile would spread across my face. We were friends every year and our relationship got stronger every year. I was always at what us kids called the “bottom of the food chain”. But John wasn’t, especially in High School. He always had my back no matter what. When he had chances to go to major High School parties he would skip them and spend time with me because I wasn’t invited.
At home by myself it would always be boring until John would walk home with me and stay there for the rest of the day and make my day so much better from the lamest day at school. He always knew what to say when I was down or blue. John would always make me laugh. But weirdly in High School and practically through all the years of school he never had a girl friend. I always thought he wanted one but never showed it to anyone. All the girls would walk up to him and he would just ignore them and focus on me. As I got older I had a theory of why he was doing that but I couldn’t believe it. One day as he walked me to my house I stopped him and said to sit on the bench that was nearby. It was our senior year in High School and still no girl. I guess it really wasn’t that important except that he only gave me attention. I sat there and looked him straight in the eyes. But before I could say anything he put both his hands on my shoulders and said “I love you.” My mouth simply dropped open. I just thought he maybe liked me but LOVE me! I had no clue. I didn’t know what I was supposed to say. But my heart spoke for me in a way I never would have thought existed. I smiled at him and said “I love you, too.” He smiled his crooked smile and hugged me. Before we were the bestest of friends but now we loved each other and he was now my John, forever to keep.