Chapter 5 (fixed)

By the time Olivia got back to her house and said goodbye to James, it was already past ten o’clock. She opened her front door and walked in, hardly noticing Holly, who was still stationed on the couch. Holly, seeing the monumental grin plastered on Olivia’s face, gave her a knowing, yet mischievous smile.

“Well, well, well, look who finally decided to turn up,” she said mockingly.

“Sorry... I got a little held up...” Olivia said distractedly, still beaming.

“I see. Sit, sit.” Holly patted the couch beside her, and Olivia floated over and sat down. “So....?” She said, drawing out the word questioningly and raising an eyebrow.

“He kissed me.”

“He did what now?!”

“Kissed me.”

“I heard you the first time. Details, my dear, details!”

“We went out and talked about our lives, the sort of thing people talk about when they have grown apart, just what we’ve been doing lately, all that. Then we started talking about back when we were best friends, trading stories, and it just lead on like that...”

“And he kissed you?”

“He did.”

“Wow.”

Olivia said nothing, just sank into the couch, grinning at the ceiling.

“So, now what?”

“Now what? I don’t know, really. He works at the university.”

“And?”

“I don’t know. Thought that might be relevant to you somehow.”

Holly laughed quietly at Olivia’s absentmindedness, and then continued to bombard her with questions.

“Do you have feelings for him?”

“I sure did tonight. But I’m not entirely sure.”

“Did you kiss him back?”

“Of course.” Olivia replied easily, smile returning to her face.

“Well that’s something, isn’t it?”

“Indeed it is.”

“So what are you going to do about it?”

Olivia sat up, looked at Holly, looking a bit more clear-headed than before, and said, “I’ll tell you what I’m going to do. I am going to make myself some apple cider, and then go to bed.”

“That’s not an answer!” Holly cried, throwing her hands up in disgust, as Olivia stood up and walked determinedly to the kitchen. “Hang on, so does that mean I can stay?” Holly added as an afterthought. Olivia waved her hand above her head submissively, and Holly smiled contentedly and skipped off to the music room/library for a book.

When Olivia awoke the next morning, she had a brief memory lapse and couldn’t remember anything that had happened the night before. But a moment later, it all came rushing back. Holly, Andrew... James. It had a very strange feeling to it, remembering everything that had taken place. It was like recalling a very vivid dream.

Remembering that she had to be at work before long, Olivia rolled reluctantly out of bed and got ready for the day.

Simply because her brain was more scattered than usual, she spent a full ten minutes staring at her closet before realizing what she was doing and pulling out pinstripe dress pants and a form-fitting red and silver top.

After getting dressed and pulling her hair up in a lot longer than it usually took her, Olivia grabbed a yogurt and headed out the door.

As usual, Alexa was already at the shop, early bird as she was. Right on cue, she was at the front door right as Olivia walked in, holding out a steaming cup of Starbucks.

“Thanks,” Olivia said, always grateful for a cup of what she considered to be the sole reason that she had survived life up to that point. She took the cup and took a long, indulgent sip of the scalding liquid, relishing the sweet bitterness of it.

“This is why I love you, Alexa.” Olivia said, gesturing to the coffee cup before setting it down on the counter.

“I know,” Alexa replied with a laugh.

Olivia grabbed a broom from behind the counter and began to sweep the floors.

“So how was your night?” Alexa asked as she re-alphabetized a row of books that had been carelessly shuffled around by a customer.

“It was good,” Olivia said with a forced nonchalance, purposely trying to be as vague as possible. Although Alexa was not nearly as hyperactive as Holly, she still enjoyed a good interrogation, and at that hour of the morning, Olivia was simply not feeling up to it.

Her attempt at nonchalance, however, failed.

“Oh my,” Alexa gasped suddenly, looking at Olivia with an astonished and strangely delighted expression, “You met a guy.”

“What makes you say that?” Olivia said, not looking up from her sweeping and keeping up her charade, futile as it was.

“Don’t lie! It’s all over your face!”

Olivia sighed in submission. “Okay, yes. I met a guy. Well, not really met him... not for the first time, anyway...”

“Tell me, tell me!”

Olivia laughed, half amused and half annoyed by Alexa’s eternal need to be completely filled in on every detail at all times.

Nevertheless, she gave in and proceeded to tell Alexa the whole story. Starting with elementary school, and ending with the kiss(es).

Alexa was practically swooning by the time Olivia finished her explanation.

“So what are you going to do?” she asked excitedly.

Olivia sighed. “You’re not the first to have asked me that. But honestly,

I have no idea what I’m going to do about it. Probably nothing.”

Alexa, horrified, walked over to where Olivia was sweeping, and grabbed the broom from her hand.

“Nothing? You’re going to do nothing? Your incredibly good looking childhood sweetheart and high school best friend just walks back into your life from out of nowhere and kisses you, and you’re planning on going about your business as usual and doing nothing about it?”

“I don’t know.”

“Are you kidding me? When was the last time someone that good looking showed any interest in you?”

Olivia shot Alexa a dirty look and went back to sweeping.

“You know what I mean,” Alexa said, “come on! Carpe diem!”

Olivia swept the last of the dirt into the dustpan and dumped it into the trash.

“You’re right,” she said, walking back toward Alexa, “he is good looking.”

“That’s it...” Alexa said with a smile, as if coaxing a child into eating his vegetables.

“And he’s very sweet. So easy to talk to.”

“You like him,” Alexa teased, drawing out the word ‘like’ in an almost comically juvenile fashion.

“Okay fine. So I like him. But we live in completely separate worlds. When would our paths even cross, aside from the occasional chance meeting at the store?”

“Ask him out.”

Olivia stared at Alexa for a moment, processing what had just been suggested.

“Isn’t that supposed to be his job?”

“Maybe, but what if he doesn’t do it? You don’t want to wait too long. Honey, he could be The One!”

“No no no no, you’re not pulling that card on me.”

“Oh, but I am. I’ll pull that card and I will wave it in front of your face all day long until you admit that it’s possible. It’s fate! It has to be! Think about it. You two were inseparable all through school, weren’t you? Then you went years without seeing each other, and now he just happens to be living exactly where you are? Fate, my friend.”

“Okay, yeah, he could be The One. But so could... that guy.” She said, pointing at a pedestrian on the other side of the street. “For all I know, the next guy that walks into this store could be The One.”

No more than a few seconds after the words left Olivia’s lips, the bells on the front door of the bookshop jingled, and James walked in.

Alexa’s jaw immediately dropped, and Olivia let out a surprised shout of laughter.

“Is that the greeting I get? Are you laughing at me?” James teased with a gentle chuckle.

“No, no of course not,” Olivia said nervously, trying to compose herself.

James laughed and walked to the front counter, where Olivia was standing. Alexa took this as her cue to leave them alone, and turned to retreat into the back of the store. As she was passing Olivia, she whispered, not very quietly, “Fate.”

Aduke9This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 7, 2012 at 5:09 pm:
MORE PLEASE!!! Thank you :)

M_IMLThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Please, please try to find the time to continue this! I read all 5 chapters in one go and would have finished novel-length material if I could have. Please write more of it!

ashleee <3 said...
Jan. 10, 2012 at 2:34 am:
totally get the busy life and all that, but i must say that i think im gonna go crazy if i dont get more of this XD it is soo amazing! the romance and humor work together perfectly! you should get this published some day! write fast please! :D

enigma99 said...
I am still working on chapter 6... I have been SUPER busy lately so it might be a while :( I would say this story is on an official hiatus until my life calms down a bit.

PenPaperAddiction said...
WHERE IS CHAPTER SIX?!?! I will be the first to tell you that I am a very impatient person- especially when it comes to waiting for another chapter of a brilliantly written story to come out! The humor and charisma and details and romance are intertwined so efficiently to really create the unique realm that is your story. Please write more!! :)

practicallyquixotic said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 2:28 pm:
Your stories are soooo incredible, I love them!! Keep it up, I'm so impatient for chapter six :)

BookFreak14 said...
May 27, 2011 at 4:17 pm:
I Love your Writing and stories. They are so realistic and inticing. I am kinda new to the web site. Still trying to get my story published... Any idea how long that will take? I can't wait for Chapter 6!!!!

samantha9441 said...
I read all of your stuff. You are an amazing writer!!! I love how you write everything so it is so easy to relate to! I would love to email you or something to get writing tips :) I just love love your stuff and can't wait for chapter six!!!

enigma99 replied...
Aug. 25, 2010 at 11:07 pm :
I would love to chat with you!! :)

samantha9441 replied...
Aug. 26, 2010 at 6:54 pm :
Great! Thanks! I'm kind of new to the website... so I'm not sure how it all works...

Shananagains17 said...
May 9, 2010 at 1:59 pm:
This is so good! I can't wait for chapter 6!

Mspi18 said...
It's really good so far. I love how you leave off the end of every chapter. Amazing. I'm loving all your work. Can't wait 'till chapter six!

softballfreak42This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 26, 2010 at 6:12 pm :

i totally agree... RITE FAST!!!! XD

LiveLife2theMax said...

wow, i really like this. waiting patiently for chapter six ;)

you should be seriously proud of this, its an amazing story... so far

only joking :)

enigma99 said...
Mar. 10, 2010 at 12:08 am:
FYI - I don't know what's up with the big huge gap in the middle. I didn't put it there, it's not for dramatic effect or anything, it's just some weird editing mistake.
Ignore it :)

omgggggggggggggggggg replied...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 2:33 pm :
i loveeee it!!!! please please please write more! please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is so totally awesome! :DD