Would You Rather | Teen Ink

Would You Rather

By its_me GOLD, San Mateo, California
its_me GOLD, San Mateo, California

James and I lay in his enormous backyard watching planes glide across the black sky. The night is warm. Every night on the weekend, I’d drive over to his house and we would talk the night away about anything and everything.
James is my best friend. We’ve known each other ever since our freshman year. This year, we’re going to graduate from Ryder High School.

“So, you still plan on going to the Academy of Art University in Cali?” James asks me.

“Most definitely. Once I learn more about photography, it’ll help me with my modeling career.” I say. “What are you going to do?”

“I’m still deciding. It all depends.” He rests his blond shaved head behind his hands.

“Oh, okay.” The thing I’m definitely looking forward to is getting to be on my own without much help of my parents. We go on about our future plans for another ten minutes. Then it goes quiet.

“Let’s play Would You Rather.” I suggest.

“Aw man, Elizabeth! I haven’t played that since freshman year with you! Okay, you start.” James says.

“Um, would you rather…eat 5 Big Macs in a row or eat nothing for 5 days?” I prop myself up on my elbow and face him.
“Psh, us guys need our grub! 5 Big Macs definitely.” He declares. I laugh. “Would you rather sing a soprano in a library or be completely mute for 2 whole weeks.” He knows I couldn’t stop talking for more than twenty minutes at a time, so I say, “Sing soprano.”
“Would you rather go to Death Valley for 2 minutes or Antarctica for 2 minutes?” James totally cannot stand the cold. That’s why we live here in Arizona.
“Could I bring water?”
“No way!”

“Why not?”

“Well… it wasn’t stated in the question!” I have trouble thinking of a reason.

“Ha-ha. Okay, fine. Death Valley.” He says. I knew it.

“Would you rather fly that airplane,” he points to the sky. “all the way across the country or run all the way?”

I’m afraid of heights. I wouldn’t even ride on a plane, much less fly one.

“Run all the way, without a doubt.” I’m feeling sick just thinking about the plane. James wipes the beading sweat off of my forehead. He’s always there for me. I thank him and use an elastic on my wrist to tie up my blond hair.

“No prob.” He flashes a sincere white smile.

“Uh…I can’t think of another question to ask you.” I chuckle. James gets up and stretches his arms, yawning in the process. I get up and brush the grass off of my shorts. His watch reads 1:00 a.m.

“Oh! I got one.” He exclaims. “Would you rather go to The Academy of Art University right after graduation,” he gets down on one knee. “or, marry me first?” James pulls a ring out of his pocket of his khaki shorts.
I gasp.

hey Virginia A!:D I LOVEEDDD it also!! just as much:D

eeeeeeeek! i LOVELOVELOVE this!!!!! :D:D and hi kendyll!

on Feb. 20 2010 at 11:46 am
Bonus_Weetee67 GOLD, Pelham, Alabama

"Gentlemen, we are going to chase perfection, knowing full well, we will not catch it."

"Hope is a waking dream."

"I'm not made of glass, you can't just clean off the bruises."

ahh! this was AWESOME! I was literally jumping up and down in my bed when I read the ending:) I love how you can picture James in your head without any description, that I saw, besides his white teeth, and somehow you can form your own Mr. Right:) keep it up! you are an exquisite writer!

JohnnyDeppLover123 DIAMOND, Holyoke, Massachusetts

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.
William Shakespeare

Oh my gosh!!! I LOVED the ending!!! That was just too cute...awesome job so keep up the good work!!!

P.S.: What does she say??? =)

E.Lee GOLD said...
on Feb. 16 2010 at 10:10 am
E.Lee GOLD, Akron, Ohio
aww the ending gave me chills:) lol what does she say??

ClockworkLightbulb SILVER, Nottingham, Other
This is really good, I didnt expect the ending. What does she say? (:

katie-cat GOLD said...
katie-cat GOLD, McClellandtown, Pennsylvania

"Look after my heart, I've left it with you."- Edward Cullen
"To love another person is to see the face of God . . ."- Les Miserables
"Don't say the old lady screamed. Bring her out and let her scream." - Mark Twain

I thought this was really cute. I liked the whole would-you-rather concept that led into the proposal. Are you going to write more?

MariahMundi said...
i agree with little miss sunshine, i thought it was more like they were just friends, as opposed to being serious boyfriend-girlfriend, but i disagree with dallysgirl, i think it's pretty good on it's own... i think it was a nice conclusion, and it's hard to write something like that, a conclusion, i mean, sometimes. so yah... pretty brilliant. although i didn't like how she was so dramatic about the plane- i dunno if it's just me, being one of the calmest people that i know, or if it really does sound kind of cheesy. nice job, though.

on Feb. 13 2010 at 10:23 am
DallysGrrl PLATINUM, Middlesex, New Jersey
Wow this is great!! U REALLY need 2 continue it!!!! its awesome!! its so sweet and honest and humble. No 12 red roses or going out 2 dinner at some 100000000 dollar resturant. Its humble and believable. Very good very good!!

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

This is really cute although I found it a little rushed. You don't get to know much about anything and then he's proposing, but it definitely has potential.

emily23 BRONZE said...
on Feb. 12 2010 at 10:38 am
emily23 BRONZE, Solon, Maine

Every story has an end, but in life every end is just a new beginning.

omg!!! U have to keep going u can't just leave us hanging haha get it cliff hanger!