Romeo and Juliet scene rewrite: Act ll Scene 2 | Teen Ink

Romeo and Juliet scene rewrite: Act ll Scene 2

January 18, 2010
By dreamyface77 SILVER, New London, Connecticut
dreamyface77 SILVER, New London, Connecticut
8 articles 70 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.

There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other

people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of
God that is within us.

It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people
permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others.

—Marianne Williamson


[Sophia enters journal and pen in hand.]
Sophia:





December 18th 2016
I haven’t written in a while, ‘cause I haven’t been in the best state of mind these last couple of days. Man has it been hell, but then again my world has been turned upside down with love, hope, and pure happiness. It’s hard to know where to start, but I guess I’ll start at the beginning, which is where it all began.

So my pa made me go to his annual Christmas party, you know for his work. It happens every year and it’s always the same old boring party. Year after year he insists I go. I try to decline the offer, but it never works. Well this year was no different than any other, same old food same old people. Oh, wait! The new family from out of state, they are definitely new, and they have a son about my age! His name is Theon, and he is such a beast! We didn’t get to talk much, but he did give me a hug and kiss goodbye.

I was really falling for him, but on the way home when I mentioned him to my pa he totally flipped out on me. “You don’t know who those people are” he repeated over and over again. He went on for the whole ride home, “they are from another big firm and are trying to get me kicked off my job so they can get the big ones away from me,” “they aren’t good people,” “and Soph, you are way too young for a boyfriend.” Little did he know I am already 15, but it’s not worth fighting with my pa, he is a lawyer and nobody wins except him. So now I’m utterly in love with this guy and not only does my pa disapprove of him he also thinks I’m too young. This is when I started to break down; I went up stairs and flopped on my bed. Tears started to seep from my eyes, and there was about twenty-one different emotions stabbing their way through my body.

Hours passed and things just wouldn’t get better. I couldn’t go to sleep; I couldn’t stop thinking of him. “What is wrong with me,” I repeatedly asked myself, “I met this guy once and now I’m obsessed? I’m so juvenile! Uh, maybe pa’s right, but argh he can’t be. He just can’t be,” I said helplessly, feeding my mood. I flipped over and wiped the tears off my face. I took a couple of deep breaths hoping it would all go away, but all the feelings just cut deeper and I resumed my unaided weeping.

Trying to retreat from my anger, I clenched my fists and started to grind my teeth. I made myself into a ball, and then without any warning my whole body went limp and my mind went blank. I don’t exactly know what happened next or what order it all happened in, but this is what I do recall, and what Theon has told me about it.

I was in some sort of trance. Far away from where we are now. It was really beautiful, but had an eerie sort of glow to the atmosphere. The air was bitterly cold and moist, as if it was about to snow. There was nothing but a road that faded into darkness. I walked along the road, and, as I walked, light illuminated the street before me. The scenery changed as I walked, but I couldn’t see very far in any direction. I was always under a street light and I could only see what the street light lit up. Or was it the moon that lit the stuff up? Oh, and the sky! The sky was a wonder of its own. The endless navy blue canvas was splattered with twinkling stars and swirls of pink, gold, and silver. I never saw that many stars in my life, and the moon was larger than ever. I didn’t know where I was going, but I seemed to be looking for something. I kept looking into the sky, as if it was a map, as if the stars led the way. It all seemed to understand how I felt; it knew how I was feeling. The sky seemed to be absorbing all my pain all the sorrow that was overwhelming me.

Every now and then I would see Theon walking ahead of me. Then I would start running after him, running as fast as I could, but before I could get to him he would always vanish. Just like that, vanish into thin air, almost as suddenly as he had appeared. So after a couple of rounds of this cruel game I started feeling helpless again. Then I started talking to the stars. I must have been manic, I mean I was talking to the sky you can’t get any loonier then that, and to top it all off I sounded all poetic and stuff. This is the gist of what I remember saying:
Star light, star bright,
as I walk along a winter’s night
the sky so clear above my head,
children sleep within their beds,
I look to you on a night so clear
hoping that you will hear,
all the things I have to say
I would save them for no other day, or night,
you are my wonder you are my light.
Oh silent night, I come to you and no other
in hope that you will listen to me ponder.
My dream is his he is my dream
the longer we are apart the louder is my scream,
I love him so, my love is true,
without him my mood is colored blue.
Can you, will you tell me the way?
You map the sky in such a way.
If I could be with him right now
and feel his arms around my waist
feel his lips graze my face,
like the other night in the coat room hall
right before my brawl with pa.
Oh please tell me if he is the one,
am I his moon is he my sun?

[Theon enters and finds Sophia asleep.]

With those words said I fell to the ground and started violently shaking. It was only then when I heard his voice, Theon’s voice, he was calling my name.

[Theon shakes Sophia.]
Theon:

Sophia, Sophia…

Sophia:

He enquired? Slowly coming to my senses I opened my eyes revealing his gorgeous face. I blinked once then twice.


Sophia 2:

Is it really you?


Sophia:

I asked with a crack in my voice.

Sophia 2:

Theon?


Sophia:

Theon chuckled and squeezed my hand.

Theon:


Yes.

Sophia:

He said.

Theon:


It’s me.

Sophia 2:

How did you get in here?


Sophia:

I asked.

Theon:


I went in the front door silly.

Sophia:

His sweet voice replied.

Theon:


I was worried about you and I couldn’t sleep, so I walked over here and found you lying on your bed deeply spun within a dream. You laid there like an angel, so beautiful and full of peace. I could have sworn I saw a halo right here above your head.

Sophia:

He said smiling. Then he leaned in a bit closer. His eyes gazing into mine then they meandered toward my lips. We laid there motionless for a few seconds. Every nerve in my body was going wild. I could feel his warm breath against my skin. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in, inhaling the smell that was Theon. The sound of his voice startled me then. He said I was talking in my sleep and that I sounded peaceful and full of heart. I told him I was because I was speaking of him. With this he smiled, put his thumb on my chin, and kissed me once again. My stomach flipped with the thrill, a kiss at my very own will? I liked this idea so I kissed his sweet lips, being careful not to take any risks, I ran my fingers through his thick hair, and took a breath of well needed air. After this he told me out right that he loved me then gave me one last kiss. He drew away, but patted my hip.

Theon:


I’ll see you tomorrow at one p.m. sharp we need to talk about your dream and our future plans.

Sophia:

I nodded my head, and said,


Sophia 2:

I’ll see you tomorrow; I’ll meet you at the park.


Sophia:

He smiled, turned, and then tip toed out.


Sophia:

Good night.


Sophia:

I whispered through the dark.

[Theon exits.]