Take a Chance | Teen Ink

Take a Chance

December 26, 2009
By its_me GOLD, San Mateo, California
its_me GOLD, San Mateo, California
19 articles 1 photo 19 comments

Bubba Gump Shrimp Company was the best seafood place to eat at in Pier 39 in San Francisco , California . This restaurant was based on the movie, Forrest Gump. The walls were decorated with pictures of the movie, fish nets hung on the ceiling, bright colors splashed all around, and televisions played the movie as well. Everybody who was anybody attending Ellington High School was at the boardwalk before Fall took over Summer.
Shelby, Noelle, and Andrea planned to have a girl’s night out. The three best friends were seated at a corner booth, by the beautiful and popular, Karen Wong. She worked here as a waitress. She and her pin-straight black hair ruled the school and everyone in it.
“So, what’ll it be girls? May I suggest the ‘No One Wants You Here’? Oh, how about the ‘Only Popular People Eat This Stuff’?” Karen said sarcastically.
She was territorial about everything. The lunch room at school, the place she worked, and her boyfriend, Elijah Scott. Eli was every girl’s fantasy boyfriend. He is the captain of the baseball team, he gets straight A’s on his report card, he’s hot, and works at a vintage clothing store on Haight Street . He and a couple of his buddies were sitting across the restaurant.
“I don’t believe we’ll need that crap food or your attitude.” Noelle said, angered. Noelle was the strong one of their group.
The girls took a few minutes still looking at their menus.
“I’ll take Captain’s Fish and Chips.” Andrea ordered, ignoring Karen’s rude comments. She was the happy one of the group.
“ Bourbon Street Mahi Mahi for me.” Noelle said.
“Umm, give me another minute.” Shelby was having a hard time picking what to eat. Karen shifted her weight onto one leg, tapping her foot impatiently.
“Okay, I guess I’ll have the Cajun Shrimp.”
Karen wrote down the girls’ orders and stomped away.
“God, what is her problem?” Noelle said rhetorically.
“Okay, never mind her,” Andrea tried to calm her. “Shelby! Now is your chance to talk to Eli!”
Like every other girl, Shelby liked Eli. But she was the one who liked him the most. She’s just too shy to make any move.
“Umm, I don’t know guys. He’s with his friends. I don’t think I should interrupt them.” Shelby was nervous.
“Shell,” Andrea reached out and grabbed her hand. “You can do this. Aren’t you the one who complains all the time about how you want Eli?”
“Yeah, but-” Shelby said.
“Aren’t you the one who constantly looks at him during Health class?”
“Well, that was only-”
“And aren’t you the one who keeps Noelle’s lip gloss in your purse?”
“What does that have to do with Eli?” Shelby asked.
“Oh, nothing. She just needs it now.”


Andrea whispered something into Noelle’s ear. Noelle smiled. Shelby took the raspberry flavored lip gloss out of her purse and handed it to Noelle.
“Okay, my point is, you have to stop being shy and take a chance on a guy!” Noelle encouraged sliding the lip gloss onto her full lips. Andrea nodded in agreement. “Here, let me show you how it’s done.”
On each of the tables was a stand with two license plates. One said, “Run, Forrest, Run.” The other said, “Stop, Forrest, Stop.” The second license plate calls for a waiter to come and help the table. Noelle flipped the stand so it said “Stop, Forrest, Stop.”
An attractive teenage boy with black, shaggy hair and green eyes stopped at their table.
“Hey, what can I get for you lovely ladies?” he said.
“Well, Tristan,” Noelle looked at his name tag. “We’d like more napkins, another bottle of tar-tar sauce and your phone number.” She said smoothly.
Shelby ’s jaw dropped. Andrea smiled, proud. Tristan chuckled and rubbed his jaw. He took out the pad of paper used for taking orders and began scribbling on it with his pen. He ripped it out and handed it to Noelle.
“I’ll be back with your napkins and tar-tar sauce. Call me anytime.” He winked at Noelle and left.
“Oh my God, Noelle!” Shelby exclaimed. Andrea high-fived Noelle. They all began to giggle.
“Okay, I’ll do it. I’m gonna march straight to Eli, look him right in the eyes and tell him I’m in love with him!” Shelby was feeling confident.
“You do know he’s still with Karen?” Noelle warned her.
“No, I heard she broke up with him two days ago!” Andrea almost screamed. “It’s okay, Shell. Go get him!”
Shelby brushed off her skirt, took a deep breath and got up from the booth Eli was sitting at. She was too nervous to look at him at first so she kept her eyes on her black peep-toe high heels as she walked. Shelby reached his table and looked up to see Karen Wong on Eli’s lap. She kissing him fiercely on the lips, his hand reaching for her breasts.
Shelby immediately froze in terror. Then she turned around, running straight for the women’s restroom. She went inside the first stall she saw and her eyes began to flood with tears of disappointment.
“I guess that’s what happens when you take a chance.” She thought to herself.