Chapter 3

For some elusive reason, grocery shopping had always been very relaxing for Olivia. Of course, nothing was more relaxing than sitting in a bookstore for three hours with a latté, but she liked to think of a good trip to a local supermarket as productive retail therapy. Besides, she had more books than she could finish in the next two years sitting in her own miniature library at home.

Pulling into the parking lot of an Albertson’s, Olivia quickly checked her hair in the rearview mirror and then proceeded to enter the store.

It didn’t take long to whip through half of the things on her shopping list, and soon she was headed for the checkout line. But right as she was passing the produce section, the front of her cart came in sudden, violent contact with a body that hadn’t been there a second ago.

“Oh I am so sorry!” came a male voice from Olivia’s victim as he bent down to retrieve his things, which were scattered across the floor now.

Olivia abandoned her cart and hurried over to help the man.

But as she straightened up to hand him a box of cereal, she caught sight of his face, and did a double take.

“James Wolfe?” she asked in disbelief.

The man looked confused for a moment, and Olivia got a better look at his face. It had to be James. The same strong yet delicate features, the light brown hair and electric blue but nearly translucent eyes. It had to be him.

And her suspicions were confirmed when his features rearranged themselves into a joyful expression.

“Olivia? Olivia Hadley!”

“What are you doing here?” Olivia laughed as they embraced.

“I actually just moved here a few weeks back, how long have you lived here?”

“Going on five years, I think... wow!” Olivia laughed again. “What are the odds we’d both end up here after all these years?”

“Small world, I guess,” James replied, smiling.

The two of them caught up for a good ten minutes, still standing by the produce section, but the joyous reunion ended when James realized he was running late for a commitment.

“Well it was really nice seeing you again, Olivia,” James said sincerely as he gathered his things again, “We should get together sometime.”

“Definitely,” Olivia replied warmly, “I’ll see you later.”

“Until then,” James said with a crooked smile and a casual salute as he turned to leave.

Olivia spent the entire trip home thinking about her unlikely encounter with James. She found it an incredible coincidence that they both would have ended up in the same small town after years of no communication. Small world, indeed.

James and Olivia had known each other since grade school. They had been childhood sweethearts from about 2nd to 5th grade, and then they were best friends from middle school all they way up through most of high school. Their junior and senior years were when they began to grow apart. Nothing intentional, they simply changed and made other friends. Olivia found it amazing that they hadn’t kept in touch at all after graduation, but they had gone their separate ways, and that had been that.

He didn’t look all that different. He had a little more muscle than he did in high school, his hair was slightly lighter, but he was still the same old James.

When Olivia reached the front door of her house and turned the key in the lock, she had a strange, unexplainable feeling that something was off.

As the doorknob turned slowly underneath her fingers, she peeked cautiously around the edge of the door, not knowing exactly what she was expecting. But the sight that greeted her when she had finally opened the door wide enough was much less menacing than she was prepared for, but it surprised her nonetheless.

Sprawled haphazardly on the burgundy sectional with the TV glowing in front of her was Holly - her increasingly unpredictable best friend.

Olivia let the door swing open and let out a dramatically exasperated sigh.

“What are you doing here, Holly?” she asked, a little testy. She tossed her keys on the coffee table, hung up her coat, and planted herself on the couch a safe distance from Holly.

“I was on my way home from rehearsal, and I decided I needed some ‘girl time’ with you. I had a fight with Andrew.”

“Oh, honey. I’m sorry. But I’ll only offer you my full sympathy after you tell me how you got in here.”

“I find it conveniently stereotypical that everyone in the world has a spare key under the welcome mat,” Holly replied casually, her gaze lingering on an image on the television screen.

Olivia rolled her eyes with a slight smile and decided she would allow that.
“Your violin is very out of tune, by the way.” Holly continued equally casually, her eyes still on the TV.

“Good to know. Now what was this fight about?”

Holly flipped her perfectly wild red hair over her shoulder and turned her piercing blue eyes to Olivia.

“He thinks I’m too into my job.”

“No, really?” Olivia said sarcastically, not quite aware of her own insensitivity.

It was no secret that Holly took her musical career extremely seriously. It seemed like she was constantly running from one rehearsal to another, performing, organizing, or otherwise.

“Really.” Holly replied, also not aware of Olivia’s insensitivity.

“Well have you thought about it at all? Maybe he has a point.”

“Whose side are you on here?”

“Sorry. I just meant... maybe he just wants to spend more time with you. How often are you really around?”

“I have the occasional evening, we go out to dinner, and sometimes I have part of my Saturdays free. Isn’t that enough?”

“Apparently not for Andrew. And to be honest I don’t think it would be enough for a lot of people. Maybe you should think about cutting back your hours a little?”

“I might be able to, but I’m a musician. Making money in the music business goes hand in hand with working ridiculous hours.”

“Well it’s your call, I won’t tell you what to do. But just talk to Andrew, for now. That can’t hurt.”

“True. Thanks, Liv.”

“Anytime.”

“By the way, you’re out of Pop-Tarts.”

writer24/7/365 said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 2:26 pm:
Haha you know exactly how to slide from intense contemplation to humor! Sooooo funny! I love the random , "By the way, you're out of Pop-Tarts."

BookFreak14 replied...
May 27, 2011 at 4:05 pm :
Totaly...It's like Holly got into Olivia's house then played on her Vilolin and Ate her last pop-tart..... I LOVE IT!!!