Close to my Heart | Teen Ink

Close to my Heart

By pap3rxh3art SILVER, Commack, New York
pap3rxh3art SILVER, Commack, New York

“Well it’s nice to know you’re awake now,” he whispered the words directly in my ear leaving a puff of warm air near my face. His jaw was tense and I could only think that this was something he wasn’t planning nor wanted to do. His eyes were stone cold which didn’t match how the rest of his body felt. I tried to unlatch his arms from my own arms and chest but he just kept me there.

“You can let go of me now,” I hissed through clenched teeth. He was the last person I ever wanted to see on the face of this Earth. “As you said, I’m fine.” I couldn’t help but give him a cold, furious look.

“Hold on there missy, where do you think you’re going? You’re bleeding from the side of your head.” His voice sounded calm but that didn’t make me feel any better. “Just stay here for two seconds; the ambulance is on its way”.

“What? Ambulance? LET GO OF ME! I NEED TO LEAVE, I CAN’T GO TO THE HOSPITAL!” I squirmed to get free but it was no use, his arms restrained me to his rock hard chest. I threw my head back to hit him but he was too fast, he jolted out of the way of my aim.

“Relax Abbey. I’m not going to hurt you, I promise.” He looked at me with warm eyes now. His eyes were the most beautiful things I had ever seen, hazel with brown and green and some tiny hints of blue swirling together to make his eyes irresistible to look at.

“You’re hurting me just by keeping me here for the ambulance to bring me to the hospital, you idiot!” I felt the anger rise from my chest and spew out of my mouth. I had a right to be angry. After all he was the one that hated me when I had done nothing to him. I hadn’t even touched a hair on his head and he still wouldn’t look at me the entire year. “Damn it Hunter let me go!”

“No.” He looked away and that’s when I realized the ambulance as it rounded the corner. The sirens wailed so loudly that I tried to cover my ears, but Hunter took it the wrong way and held my body with one of his arms and my two arms with his other. I couldn’t flinch let alone breathe. I wanted to hit him, hit him so badly that he’d never come back for more.

“I hate you and I hope you go to hell, Hunter!” I shouted so loudly that the EMT snapped his head to look in my direction after he ran out of the back of the large van when it had come to a halt.

“Well thank you for the invitation.” His voice was smug and I could see a slight grin spread across his face.

“You think this is funny don’t you? Huh, you think this is hilarious. Well I’ve got news for you buddy; you won’t see the light of day when I’m through with you! You hear me Hunter Evans!” I craned my neck to turn around and see his whole face but he still had a grin painted across it. The next second he stood up lifting me in his arms and placed me in the ambulance while the EMT got out some bandages for what I could think was for was my head which indeed was bleeding. I could feel the blood running down the side of my face. I shuddered and Hunter held me closer in his arms.

“What is your name Miss?” The EMT looked at me with wide eyes; I must have looked like I was going to kill somebody because he slid away from me that second.

“Her name is Abbey Williams,” Hunter’s deep voice cut in before I could even answer.

“I know what my name is moron! You don’t have to answer for me.” The angry words kept flying out of my mouth and I couldn’t find a way to stop it. I was too angry, too upset and too…in shock.

“Abbey, relax for god sake will you? You just fell and hit your head on the ice, let me take care of you for two seconds!” This time Hunter sounded impatient. He turned to the EMT. “Sorry, the fall must have made her forget her manners.” I didn’t reply to his remark about my rudeness but instead stuck my tongue out at him. I didn’t want to deal with this, with him, not now of all times to deal with something like this.

“Sir, I’m perfectly fine to go home. I fall all the time. I really don’t need to go to the hospital.” I looked at the EMT with pleading eyes but the driver of the monstrous vehicle had slammed the doors shut before I could make my fast getaway.

“Actually Miss, you do. It looks like you’ll need some stitches. Your wound is not only deep but it’s also very wide.” He looked at me insecurely, I’m sure he was preparing himself for what I might do to him. He was a smart man; he could tell I was furious.

“Fine,” I muttered. There was nothing I could do about this. I just had to deal with it. I sat impatiently next to Hunter instead of being held down by him. I guess he trusted me not to run away since the doors were locked and the fact that the vehicle was in motion, and even if I did try to jump out I would most likely kill myself. I looked around the wide van pretending to admire the glossy glass cabinets containing needles and bandages. I tried to distract myself from this unpleasant nightmare. This is not happening, I’m sure if I pinch myself I’ll wake up in my comfortable bed and this would have never happened. The ambulance made a sharp turn and I crashed into Hunter who was staring at me with incredulous eyes.

“What?” I asked as I felt my head, I could feel the gash on the side of my head and it stung at the touch. I took my pale fingers from my hair and stared at them, blood. I felt sick all of a sudden and propped myself against Hunter. He didn’t seem to mind because he wrapped his arm around my back and held me close to him. I was bewildered but it felt immense to be so close to him. I couldn’t help but close my eyes and smile, feeling content as ever. It was ironic though; this was one of the happiest, most embarrassing and most confusing moments of my life. I couldn’t believe I was feeling so blissful when I was being brought to the hospital.
********************************

i was just really inspired to right something like this. i haven't finished it yet but i think it's okay so far. please give me some advice and let me know what you think! :]

MissyNinja:) said...
on Mar. 27 2011 at 8:21 pm
This is really good, I'd love to read more. The only thing I might add would be the part going up to the fall but that is me. Good Job though! :) 

on Mar. 20 2011 at 6:45 pm
scrabblebabble BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
MORE!!  MORE!!  MORE!!

on Mar. 20 2011 at 9:08 am
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin

We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

This is so good! But I want more!

Meli138 said...
on Apr. 1 2010 at 11:19 pm
Meli138, GP, Texas

"Like a bird with broken wings its not how high he flies but the song he sings"
"Everybody live like its the last day you will ever see tell me tell me do you feel the pressure now?"

This was so great i loved it but wheres the rest???? Is there more there has to be more! :) Great job!