Memories | Teen Ink

Memories

By Sarah♥ SILVER, Milford, Connecticut
Sarah♥ SILVER, Milford, Connecticut

The sound of your sneakers slapping against the pavement echoes through the street. I listened to it, committing it to memory, music to my ears. Your eyes glowed with warmth as you looked at me, and I burned the image into my brain. I want to always remember how it felt when you would gently wrap your arms around me, and the smell of the jacket that you draped over my shoulders when it was cold.
I always want to remember the day I got the flu, and then I threw up on your shoes, and I thought you would be mad, but instead you drove me home and brought me chicken soup the next day.
And the day I was trying to write you a poem, but I couldn’t get it to come out right, since there has yet to be a word invented to describe the way I felt about you...(will always feel about you.) And I had my head in my hands, and I was getting really frustrated. I didn’t hear you sneaking up behind me, nor did I notice you quietly reading over my shoulder, and I didn’t even realize you were there until you put your hand on my shoulder. And I turned around. And there were tears in your eyes. And you told me that it was beautiful, and that I was beautiful, and that you’d never want to be with anyone else.
I always want to remember the streaks of gold in your chestnut hair that glinted in the sunlight.
And the time we went to that party, but it was so loud and the people were being obnoxious so we left and went for a walk on the beach instead. The moon was so bright, and the water had a beautiful white glow to it. I’ll probably always remember that you had a nervous look on your face as you skipped a rock, and slowly turned to blurt out “I love you.” And I know I’ll always remember the way I felt when you said that, and how, when I told you I loved you too, I wondered how anyone could be this lucky.
I always want to remember the way you would bite down on your lip when you felt guilty about something.
I don’t really want to remember that fight we had last week. I told you to go away and that I never wanted to see you again, and you said that was fine with you.
Even more than that, I don’t want to remember yesterday, when you were waiting outside of my house as I got home. And I honestly don’t remember exactly what you said to me, but unfortunately I remember what it meant. I remember that you said goodbye, though. And I remember that a single tear rolled down my cheek, and your hand twitched, like you wanted to comfort me, like you used to all the other times that I cried. I remember I thought that maybe you would take it all back and tell me you were sorry and you loved me and that you would always love me. Instead, I remember you turning around and walking away.

mesa98712345 said...
on Jan. 18 2019 at 11:36 am
mesa98712345, Chicago, Illinois
YOU MAKE ME DEPRESSED!!! :'(

on Jan. 16 2019 at 4:41 pm
amazingsquantch, A, Utah
cool!

Bumble-Bee said...
on Aug. 19 2015 at 10:10 am
Bumble-Bee, Somonauk, Illinois

"This is the future, and you are alive." - Owl City

On one hand, I agree with you, but on the other, I think what she wrote is really great. Using simple language such as "How sad I felt" and "My head hurt" is what makes this so relatable. If she were to use a sentence such as what you suggested, it would take away from the personal feel of it.

on Apr. 18 2013 at 5:15 pm
beccalynn1663 GOLD, West Milford, New Jersey

Let your smile change the world. Don't let the world change your smile.

i loved this! i can really relate to it!

on Apr. 11 2013 at 9:39 pm
RomanticPhilosopher SILVER, Hawley, Pennsylvania

"The life given to us by nature is short, but the memory of a life well spent is eternal"
-Unknown

Absolutely wonderful. I don't want to be critical, because the tone and emotion is what makes your writing special. Nonetheless, in the sense of constructive criticism, perhaps in the next spark of genius you have, try to incorporate more emotion and feeling according to the characters. Such as replacing: "How sad I felt" or "My heart hurt" with a slightly more dramatic, but signigicantly more emotional phrase such as: "I could feel my heart sink to the bottom of my chest as I looked back, fighting the tears that welled in my eyes." I look foward to your next article! ~RomanticPhilosopher~

JoshuaChen said...
on Aug. 13 2012 at 11:08 pm
JoshuaChen, Westborough, Massachusetts

"All this philosophy Confucius me"

You need to stick to one tense. Your first sentence is in the present tense, and then you suddenly switch to the past, then eventually you're back to present, then past again... Please make up your mind. :)

KJC1211 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 3 2012 at 3:08 pm
KJC1211 BRONZE, Kempton, Pennsylvania

Trust is like Paper, Once crumbled it can Never be PERFECT Again.

The was really sad, But I really liked it!

vazenitran98 said...
on Mar. 24 2012 at 2:15 pm
vazenitran98, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

"I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street,I met a man who had no feet."

This was exceptionally sad. I was awestrucked at the end of it. -tears-

Archangel94 said...
on Jan. 28 2012 at 4:01 am
Wonderful story.. Keep up the good work.. Write more.. You are innovative :)

on Nov. 23 2011 at 5:12 pm
Jappyalldayeveryday, Detroit, Michigan

They say that good things take time, but really great things happen in the blink of an eye

This is cute.

on Nov. 1 2011 at 11:53 am
rachelwilson SILVER, Paris, Tennessee

"I went thirty minutes without seeing something of remebrance to you.. but then again,.. my eyes were closed.." -Rachel Wilson

It's like you were there. This exact short story. Datail to detail. I lived this. It is so amazing. Keep it up!

on Oct. 10 2011 at 3:54 pm
boomawang63 SILVER, Chicago, Illinois
Oh gosh, so so so sad but an incedible and beautiful story at the same time.

on Oct. 10 2011 at 3:46 pm
I really really really loved this story!!! You need to keep writing more!(: Best story i've read so far on this site! Good job!

on Sep. 18 2011 at 2:37 pm
billgamesh11 BRONZE, Grafton, Massachusetts

"It's always darkest before the dawn." ~Florence and the Machine

WOW!!!

Sad, but beautiful! Is this a true story?

And I can definitely see why the editor's like this article!!! Keep writing!!!:):):);)

-Duckie- GOLD said...
on Aug. 27 2011 at 3:33 pm
-Duckie- GOLD, West Fargo, North Dakota

Your heart is a weapon the size of your fist. Keep fighting. Keep loving.
-Anonymous

Oh my golly phenomenal!!!! I like the way that you don't clutter the story up with names and things, and let the characters' feelings speak for themselves... keep writing!!!!

on Aug. 5 2011 at 7:13 am
Bookworm1998 GOLD, Brampton, Other

Preserve your memories, keep them well; what you forget, you can never retell.

oh. my. goodness. so sad, but still so amazing

on Jul. 14 2011 at 11:19 am
rosaposa BRONZE, Orono, Minnesota

"Slow down, this night's a perfect shade of dark blue" Jack's Mannequin

this was so amazing I loved it! great writing!

on May. 31 2011 at 8:31 pm
BellaPrincipessa SILVER, Green Bay, Wisconsin

Love isn't always fireworks. Sometimes love just comes softly.
-Love comes softly by Jannette Oke

My heart just broke. OMG!!!!

on May. 9 2011 at 8:18 pm
lyric2014 BRONZE, Scotts Mills, Oregon

"it's kinda bruised and beaten. it may be black and blue. kind scarred by my past. it's held together by duct tape. it may not be much but please take care of it. i left my heart with you!"

that is so amazing! i can totally realate to it too :)

on Apr. 17 2011 at 1:32 pm
ClaraRose SILVER, Glasgow, Other

"It's not what we are born, but what we grow to be."

"you think that because I am Poor, Obscure, Plain and little, that I am Soulless and Heartless. I have just as much soul as you and full as much heart"

PLEASE WRITE MORE

p.s can you read some of my stuff