The Day Without A Kiss On The Cheek | Teen Ink

The Day Without A Kiss On The Cheek

By Saysh PLATINUM, Brentwood, California
Saysh PLATINUM, Brentwood, California

"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." ~E.L. Doctorow

It was a Monday on the day that they first saw each other. They could hardly help but to stare at the other on that first day. The way her golden hair fell into her face, hiding her beauty, made him want to go over and say hello. The way his eyes bright green eyes kept falling back to her made her want to turn away. She was shy and this made him smile to himself. He was the guy, she knew, that every girl wanted. The way they all looked at him told her that, even though she had only been in this town for less than a week. He had never noticed her before which let him know that she was new.

The first bell rang and they both walked to class to find the other there. Assigned seats made destiny happen on that day. He was to sit behind her in the back corner. He smiled at her as he walked to his seat. Her brown eyes stared back at him as a smile pulled at her pink lip glossed lips. He sat behind her and without a word between them both their thoughts went haywire. Her mind kept wandering to the strange boy as the class began. His thoughts went to her smile, her lips, the way it would feel for them to be on his.

The teacher told the class to get in partners of two for a one-day class project. It took him only a moment to realize fully what he was doing as he reached his hand out to her shoulder. A gentle tap made was all it took to get her to turn around to him. He smiled at her and introduced himself. She smiled back and said her name; to him it fit her perfectly. He said it as he asked her to be partners with him and he swore that he saw her eyes light up as he spoke. She nodded her head yes and then just like the other partners had done she turned her desk around to face his.

He smiled at her as she opened her book to look inside. She was trying hard not to smile back, but the way he was looking at her made her feel like she could fly. The way he had said her name had made butterflies in her stomach. His uneven brown hair was messy, and she loved every inch of it. She knew what crushes led to though and she didn’t want to go there again. Her last boyfriend had broken her heart, and she didn’t want it to happen a second time.

He opened his book as the teacher gave instruction. They each followed along. Nothing occurred between the two of them. She was twirling the pencil around between her fingers, not knowing what else to do with it. He watched the pencil slide in between each finger and thought of what it would feel like to have his fingers in between them, to hold her hand made him want to smile more. Than unexpectedly the pencil flipped out of her hand. It was sent clanging to the middle of their desks. Each reached for it at the same moment.

His skin on hers was warm. His hand had fallen on hers as she tried to grab for the pencil, and she looked up to him as it did. He looked up to her and as their eyes met a spark seemed to light up inside of her. Her skin felt like it was on fire, but it didn’t burn her, it was the type of warmth you wanted more of. She opened her mouth to speak but seeing that he hadn’t yet pulled back his hand she closed it in slight embarrassment. She pulled her hand back with the pencil. He pulled his away after without looking down from her eyes.

She pulled the hair out from behind her ear and another curtain fell. His focus snapped back to reality and he tried to pay attention to what they were supposed to be doing, but all he could think about was her hand under his. The feeling in him when they had touched was not ignorable. He had never felt this way about a girl before, and he had only known her for an hour.

After an hour of work, silence, and no more hand contact, the bell rang. She stood immediately and as asked pulled her desk back to normal. Without looking back to him she left. She couldn’t get the odd feeling out of her stomach. She had never had that feeling before, but she knew what it meant. She had read the books, seen the movies, and she knew that that feeling was exactly what she didn’t want to feel. She walked to her locker deposited her books into them and made her way to her next class.

Four periods and a million thoughts about the other later the bell rang for lunch. Both made their separate ways to the cafeteria where from across the room they saw each other. She looked away almost as soon as their eyes had met but he moved across the room towards her. As he got closer she turned to him and he smiled at her. She smiled weakly back. He said hi and asked if she wanted to sit with him and his friends. She agreed and then continued to look away as he led her to their table.

The group of four sat waiting for him to arrive, but didn’t expect to see him coming with a girl behind him. Their eyes went over her and she looked away not meeting them. He introduced them, but as their silence overlapped for seconds he sighed and took hold of her hand. She looked up to him in shock as the heat poured through her body. He led her away from the table and to a round empty one across the room. They sat and he apologized for their gawking. He said that they weren’t use to new people. She nodded in understanding and they both began to eat.

Minutes turned quickly while she was with him. He asked her questions and she answered willingly, while also returning the questions to him for his own answers. They knew each other almost too well by the end of that forty-five minute period. They had the next few classes together and both of them walked with the other, talking more. The end of the day approached and by the end of it he knew her. He knew her favorite things to do, he knew her past, he knew what she wanted for her future, and she knew all the same about him. It was like he had met her before, or known her all his life.

She couldn’t believe how much they had in common, or how much was different. Everything was possible when she was with him and she didn’t feel like her normal self. She didn’t hold a thought of her broken heart, but instead felt it mending at an incredible speed. She felt like she knew him so well by the time the last bell rang, signally that they would have to separate until tomorrow. They exchanged email and cell phone numbers. They talked for a few last minutes on the school steps. As the snow began to fall she pulled her jacket tighter around her. Her cheeks were red from the cold but as he couldn’t help but lean into her and kiss her on the cheek, they turned red for a completely other reason.

His kiss had meant nothing, she told herself as he leaned away knowing it was lie only to herself. It had meant everything, and if not to him than to her. They way he had leaned into her felt natural and she wanted not just a kiss on the cheek. He looked her in the eyes and smiled, telling her that he would see her tomorrow. He then simply walked away while she waited for her ride to come. Down the sidewalk and farther away from her he walked going towards home. He called her later that night and they talked for almost an hour before she had to go.

The same events occurred everyday for almost two months. They ate lunch together and walked out onto the front steps of the school after the bell rang. He would kiss her cheek letting her know that he cared and that he would see her tomorrow. Then he would walk away and call later that night. Before they knew it both were in love with the other. They hid it away though letting just that one kiss on the cheek after school be all they would know.

Until it was exactly two months since they had met. He had walked her to front steps and kissed her cheek and said he’d see her tomorrow. She let him walk off once again watching him slowly slip away just like every other day. When out of the blue came her cry. She called out his name and he turned around at the bottom of the steps. She seemed to skip down them and when she stood in front of him he could see the look in her eyes. She opened her mouth slightly in shock that she was standing with him there, breaking their everyday schedule. He only smiled as he reached for her hand and brought her closer to him.

He leaned in and kissed her on the lips and for both of them the world disappeared. The cares drove by, the students walked past them, the rain began to fall down but the only thing that went through their minds was the other. He pulled away from her to find them both soaking wet. The rain had only been pouring down for a few seconds but her hair stuck to her face. She opened her eyes and looked at him for a few seconds before her smile over took her face.

“I’ll call you tonight?” He asked letting go of her hand and her smile seemed to widen as he spoke.

“Yeah. I’ll talk to you then.” She said and he smiled back. He walked off then while she waited for her ride just like every other day before, but this was the day they would both remember for years to come as the day without a kiss on the cheek.

bookworm29 PLATINUM, Rockville, Maryland
Wow. Does this actually happen? Its really well written but it sounds unrealistic... like its too happy. Sorry, I'm a pessimistic person.

TheBug BRONZE said...
TheBug BRONZE, Uniontown, Kentucky

“I see myself as a huge fiery comet, a shooting star. Everyone stops, points up and gasps "Oh look at that!" Then- whoosh, and I'm gone...and they'll never see anything like it ever again... and they won't be able to forget me- ever."- Jim Morrison

I lov how this is written, and it's an adorable story! Don't stop writing!!:)

Ivanaaa said...
on Jul. 15 2010 at 7:04 am
 This is amazing. It reminds me so much of me and my boyfriend when we were still crushing. Its like exact parts from it is the exact parts from my life.

Very detailed and very well written. Bravo!!!!!

ihaveadream said...
this is really really good. one of the best i've read so far. you should definitely keep writing.

choirchic101 SILVER, Norwalk, California

in order for God to use all of you you have to be completely broken

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

BookLOver808 said...
on Sep. 24 2009 at 10:33 am
AWWW. Cute. Sweet and above all AWESOME>>>

udon'tknowme said...
on Sep. 24 2009 at 10:12 am
awwwwwwwww