P.S Remember Me Always

“Remember?” I ask for what seemed the thousandth time.
“I’m sorry, no” Nate answers, sending my heart into hell. This is pointless; he isn’t ever going to remember me.
“Okay,” I sigh, holding back tears. Once upon a time Nate loved me, until he drove into a tree. That made his memory of the last two years to be erased. Sadly, I met him only a year before the accident, so he doesn’t remember me. Whoever said love conquers all never had to deal with memory loss.

“I’m sorry, really. But it’s all just a blank,” I looked into his chocolate brown eyes. Oh, how I wanted for him to hold me close. A sharp pain ran through my chest just at the thought of lying in his arms. A single tear escaped my eyes, rolling down my cheek onto the ground below.

“I guess this is goodbye then,” I whisper. Pain crossed his features. He may not remember our love, but we somehow managed to become close friends through everything. I was the only one who hadn’t given up on him, but I just couldn’t take it no more.

“Please don’t say that,” He breathed. I watch tears spill over his eyes. I raised my hand and wiped away his liquid pain, and then I leaned in and kissed his cheek. Finally, I walked away from my lost true love.

Will I love again? Maybe. Will I ever love someone as much as Nate? Never.

**********4 years later************

“Nate!” I run across the green grass into his arms.
“Lora,” He whispers in my ear. I could stay in his arms forever. But the tug on my skirt causes me to pull away and crouch down. Two big blue eyes stared back at me, the same colour as my own eyes.

“Melody, I want you to meet Nate.” My daughter of two and a half years reached for my hand. Then I watched as she looked up at the man above her.
“Hwello,” She said. I giggled at how she always pronounced her words with an extra W.
I looked up towards a smiling Nate. I had never told him that I had a child after I left him behind.
“Hi there,” I felt my heart leap when I looked at his wonderful smile. A smile he had once gave me when we had been in love. But that was the past.

“Melody, why don’t you go play while Nate and Mommy talk?” Melody smiled at me, then rushed towards the playground, brown hair flying behind her the whole way. I let out a sigh and headed towards a nearby bench.

“I’ve missed you,” Nate reached for my hand.
“How can you miss something you can’t even remember?” I mutter thinking foolishly that he can’t hear. But then I felt his hand pull away. I turned to see he had placed his face within both hands.

“That’s just the thing,” Nate raised his head and looked intently at me.
“Huh?”
“I called you here for two reasons, Lora. One, I missed you. Two, I think I remeb-
“Don’t,” I whisper, tears filling my eyes.
“Don’t?”
“Please, just don’t. Don’t say it,” Tears began flowing, with no hope of stopping.
“Why?”

“Because I don’t love you anymore.” I breathe. I could hear my heart breaking, but it had to be said.

“I’m sorry,”
“I’m not,” I lied.
“Please don’t leave!” He cried. My heart told me to turn back and run to him. But my brain knew better. I knew he would hurt now, but if I stayed he would be worse later.

“Melody lets go home!” I called to her. She ran over and took my hand. Then she turned back towards Nate. Then she turned back to look at me.
“But mommy, you said daddy was coming with us,” She whined.

“Daddy doesn’t remember.” I lied for hopefully the last time.

*********10 years later************

“Nate Stone?” I ask a tall man standing in the open doorway.
“Yes,” I couldn’t help but gasp.
“Dad!” I ran into his arms. He was surprised, I could tell. I pulled back slightly, tears of both pain and happiness running down my cheeks. “It’s me, Melody!”

“Melody?” He said, shocked.

“Wait, I got something.” I began to search through my backpack. Finally, I found the thick envelope with Nate written across it.

“Here, it’s from mom.” I say while handing him the heavy letter. I watch as he ripped it open, and tears forming in his brown eyes while he read my mother’s heart spilled on a piece of paper.

Dear Nate,

If you are reading this it mean I have passed away. I’m sorry that I never told you I was dying. Soon after Melody was born I was diagnosed with a form of cancer. I was then given four more years to live. So the last time I saw you I promised myself that even if you remembered by then I would leave. I didn’t want you to go through the pain of my death, so I let you believe that I had forgotten our love. Which was a lie; I never have stopped loving you. But I loved you so much that I couldn’t let you suffer such heartbreak. When I die, Melody will be sent away to live with my sister until she is thirteen. Then I will send her out to deliever my letter, and find you. After that the choice is yours, if you wish to keep her. Her father left us before she was even born, but I have said you were always he dad. Please forgive me. I hope that your life will be a good one without me. I’ll always love you.
Your lost love,
Lora
P.S Remember me always

He finally looked up after many minutes of silence.

“When?” He breathed.
“The doctors were off by about a year and a half. She died two months after we came to visit you,”

“You have her eyes,” Nate whispered before embracing Melody, the daughter of his long lost love.

JuliaRubyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 22, 2012 at 7:00 am:
Im sobbing. Beautiful writing x

angel_of_silenceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this story was amazing. the ending totally caught me off guard

SilverSun said...
May 11, 2012 at 8:17 pm:
O this is so amazing. I think I started crying! Sooo beautiful!!

MistrBrighterside said...
Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:17 am:
omg words cannot even begin to describe how well this was written.

laurensoccer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 3:37 pm:
This is one of the most beautifully stories ever. Iam speechless and cried throughout the story. Thank you for writing. This story ....... is amazing

IT_WILL_RAIN said...
that was beautifull i cant say anything else

MyBlue. said...
Im crying...That was beautiful.

Kat4ever333 said...
OMG i just cried! soooo cute and adorable and...and...and idk it was just sooooooo AMAZING

angelica.pgvtexas said...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 10:09 am:
i love it  !

ZebraDiva said...
it was so amazing i feel that everone should have a love story when the are about to die i cryed but it was beautiful =)

LilLover5-15 said...

Love it but so sad

NeverSayNever said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 5:11 pm:
Hi, thank you for all the comments, this is very old, rough work but it is nice to see people still see a beauty to it :) The thing is, I no longer intend to post any work on this website, though more of my work can be found at inkpop.com under the username Confused Emotion. Thank you for anyone who takes the time to read this!

ashlove01 said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 9:19 pm:
omg! u are truly good i started cyying when i read it and my famliy thought i was crazzy!

singingwriter14 said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm:
Wow. This was truly heart breaking. Nice work. You are a very gifted writer :-)

NKsunshine said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 2:18 pm:
Tears are still dripping down my face....<3

MzKayDIVA said...
Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm:
i was about 2 cry 2 OMG!!!

Hammi replied...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 5:43 am :
I like that you have structered your story to show different persepectives in different time frames, but you have sone it skillfully not done a botched job. All I would say is give some background information on your characters so we can related more with them. 
Well Done:)

Ashley1995 said...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 2:26 pm:
Its such an amazing story... I loveverything about it... please keep writing love to here more :)

booklover104 said...
May 14, 2011 at 1:14 am:

awww...this is so sappy! i cried =) nice job

ninfis9 said...
May 13, 2011 at 9:41 pm:
I really enjoyed reading your story. It is very well developed and I have to admit my heart cried as I read it. I'd like to read more of your writing and you should turn it into a whole novel, like others said. Keep it up.