What Matters Most

I didn’t care. Really, and truly, if you had asked if I cared, I might have said “Do what you want; I’m not your Boy Scout leader. I don’t care”. And maybe, maybe you would have gently pulled my face up to yours and read the lie that was plainly written all over my face. And maybe you would have been able to see the heart wrenching pain in my eyes; bursting with tears that refused to be shed. And maybe you would have said “Butterfly, don’t cry I will always be there. I promise.” And lift me up so I could kiss you, because, of course, I can’t reach all the way up those basketball legs. The kiss would be brief and sweet, your way of reassuring me that all would be right in the world. You’ll see.

Of course, you didn’t do any of those things before you went off to “serve your country” and “be a man” and give everyone “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” But what about my happiness? What about that? Didn’t that matter to you at all? But I suppose that I should try to be fair. You did write a note to me. It has a lot of letters from the alphabet that piece together a message about why you did this. But I don’t care about that part- I care about the part that reads “I love you; you are my angel from heaven above.”

And the part about this that makes me want to hide from my grief and pain, is how I’ll never get to say it back to you.

atimm2013 said...
i love how you kept this sort but loaded with all the emotion needed. i also love how when someone begins reading this they have no clue what is truely about at first, they'd just think it was another story about a teenage fight. great job!

Nightprawler said...
Oct. 26, 2011 at 10:23 am:
I don't even cry, but this article almost got me to that point. Wonderful job :)

Bookworm1998 said...
you did a wondeful job with this! i really liked this and how you ended it. in my opinion, it should be in the TeenInk magazine :)

inkblot13 said...
Jul. 30, 2011 at 8:17 am:

I really liked, you did a wonderful job showing mainly the feelings of the girl, but also some of the guys' feelings as well. Really well written!

(PS- check out some of my stuff maybe??)

Ocean-Rider said...
This was strongly written. It was wonderful.

heiwagirl said...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 11:25 pm:
it was so powerful and it really pulled me into all of her emotions like a wild ride I loved it.

The~crayon~in~my~heart replied...
Mar. 29, 2011 at 3:45 pm :
Thanks you guys!

dancer4life said...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!!!!

this was so awesome

JatiaE. said...
i liked this b/c it was really good, short , beautiful and strong .

The~crayon~in~my~heart replied...
Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:01 am :
thanks! anyone else have any ides for more short pieces? im not very good at long so you know....

RoseAmongThorns This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like this - it's really powerful.  I can relate to how both of them feel, because I am both the one left behind and the one who wants to go.  Very well written.  If you want to read it, I wrote a poem called 'Conundrum' which is a lot like this, but it would be more like how the guy felt... :)

The~crayon~in~my~heart replied...
Nov. 17, 2010 at 12:34 pm :
thanks! i would love to read your poem!

Annabelle294 said...
Aug. 12, 2010 at 11:01 am:
This is amazing. Short, sweet, and so powerful.

YellowStar24 said...
Jul. 22, 2010 at 10:32 am:
omg! this is so sad! but.. i loved it!!!

chains said...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 4:01 pm:
i like this poem and please look at mine

The~crayon~in~my~heart replied...
Nov. 30, 2010 at 4:54 pm :
love to! also, you live in colorado? me too!

Still_Waters26 said...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 8:11 pm:
It was really good but I think you could've made it longer, got more into the relationship and all.  Other than than, I liked it.

The~crayon~in~my~heart replied...
Jun. 9, 2010 at 9:17 am :
you know, i would have liked to, but im not very good at long pieces. im good at short with lots of feeling,  so i guess thats what i did ;)

Iluvmybff said...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 7:53 pm:
I love it! It's amazing, you can just feel the tension and emotions between them. It's so amazing.

idkitsmicah said...
May 1, 2010 at 4:35 pm:
that was actually beautiful. i read a lot of stories on this site and i didn't prefer any, but that was pretty amazing.