Kiss Me One Last Time...

I’m pouring raspberry iced tea into wine glasses; we’re out of wine and I’m feeling an urge to be sophisticated.

Three ice cubes for me, none for Daniel. Inexplicably, he has never liked ice in his drinks.

I look up, my gaze falling on Daniel. We are in the middle of watching The Bourne Identity, since apparently it’s a crime that I hadn’t yet seen it. It is entertaining, but really, I’m only watching it for Daniel. He lives vicariously through Jason Bourne, I think.

I take the wine glasses in my hands and close the short distance between our tiny kitchen and the couch, setting the drinks on the coffee table. In my absence, Daniel has stretched out to occupy the entire length of the couch, which gives me no choice but to lie down on top of him. I am more than happy to do so.

As I gently climb over him, his arm comes up around my shoulders, pulling me down next to him. His head turns and his stunning green eyes meet mine. He smiles and I momentarily forget how to breathe.

We have been married for a year and a half now, and we see each other constantly, but somehow I am still blown away by his looks. He is easily the most attractive man I have ever seen, and I can’t help but notice that every time I look at him. On top of that, I am hopelessly in love with him. So things have worked out pretty well.

My hand is resting on his, and my head falls onto his chest as he strokes my hair.

Jason Bourne is now sprinting dramatically from whoever is pursuing him. Daniel is watching intently. I hate to distract him, but he’s seen this before and I can’t help myself. I press myself firmly against him and kiss him.

He looks at me, grinning sweetly. “What was that for?”

“Do I need a reason?” I ask softly, and kiss him again.

The look in his eyes is incredible, and makes me remember the first time he looked at me like that.

We had been dating for six months, and Daniel had just driven me home from an amazing dinner. We were standing outside the door to my apartment, trying to find the willpower to tear ourselves away from each other. I thanked him for the date, he complimented my dress for about the twentieth time, and then he kissed me. Now, we had kissed before that, but there was something else in that one. Something that made it... intoxicating. We pulled away, and then I kissed him back, knowing it was late and I needed to say goodnight. Three fantastic kisses later, I managed to pry myself away from him and unlock the door. We said goodnight, and right as I was stepping through the doorway, I turned and said,

“Kiss me one last time.”

And that was when this breathtaking expression graced his features. A mixture of surprise, utter delight, and one other thing. I didn’t recognize it then, but I know it well now.

It was love. Pure and honest love.

And that’s the look he’s giving me right now. It’s absolutely glorious.

He kisses me one more time, and then his gaze falls back on the glowing television screen. I don’t mind. His thumb is tracing tiny circles on my arm. I would be content to stay like this for days.

However, before I know it, and much too soon, the movie is over. It is close to midnight and we should both be getting to bed so we can get up for work in the morning.

I start to lift myself off Daniel, but he pulls me back down and envelops me in his arms. I smile into his chest. He smells like rain.

We stay like that for a while, and then he stands up.

“All right hon, I’m going to bed,” he says in his sultry baritone, turning off the TV and placing the untouched wine glasses back on the kitchen counter.

“I’ll be right behind you,” I reply as he comes over to kiss me goodnight. “Love you.” I mean it with every fiber of my being.

He smiles broadly. “I love you, too.” he says, then turns in the direction of our bedroom.

I sit for a moment, watching him. Then,

“Daniel?” I say.

He turns back to me.

“Kiss me one last time.”

He does.

sillygirl880 said...
Dec. 18, 2010 at 8:49 am:
that was amazing its inspiring PLEASE KEEP WRITING:)

BookFreak14 replied...
May 27, 2011 at 3:36 pm :
WONDERFUL.... So Romantic. Please keep Writing.

XxMyLove4MusicxX said...
<333333

AlisaG101 said...
Dec. 16, 2010 at 11:41 am:
That was the most beautiful story I've heard in a long time....I love your story keep writing

TorioT4 said...
Dec. 16, 2010 at 11:07 am:
sooo sweett i loved ittt!

Kendyllis_creative said...
that is such an amazing story! You are such a great writer, please, keep working! :)

waterloogirl said...
This is a really cool story! I liked how it tied up nicely at the end.

Medina D. said...

THIS STORY GAVE ME A WARM AND COZY FEELING INSIDE :)

BUT I STILL DONT WANT TO GET MARRIED

xprezzionstar replied...
Jan. 4, 2011 at 10:15 am :
lol i like your perspective!

LakeTownGirl said...
Dec. 15, 2010 at 9:01 am:

Wow. I absolutely love this! Such great feeling. I could imagine I was her.

Personally, I like writing in the past tense instead of the present, but you used it well and didn't hop in between. I wish I could come up with stories like these off the top of my head!

Kelli_2011This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 15, 2010 at 8:42 am:
AHHHH I LOVE THIS STORY !!! feels like I was really a book I LOVE IT and it also reminds me of my boyfriend doing that to me :] GREAT WORK!!!

dreamxentertain This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 15, 2010 at 12:33 am:
this is sooo cute!! i really like it!

rachieboo said...
This is adorable. I teared up and smiled at the same time. You have one amazing man <3

SaMiLoVe97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Awhhh this is so adorable. I love the happy ending. Keep writing(:

love, Sami<3:D

silentvocal replied...
Dec. 13, 2010 at 7:32 pm :
I liked reading this a lot, and i was definately glued to every bit. You drew me in but to me, the ending was kind of spoiled when i read that last sentence "He does." -it just kind of pulled me competely out of the story, it was a bit of a disapointement and i truly think the final touch would have been to just have left the ending with the sentence "Kiss me one last time." and that really would have settled it, and finished with the perfect moment. i mean it really did make a huge impact on me... (more »)

Cella000 said...
This was truley heart gushing writing. I Loved it with every aspect of my writing nobilities

RosesAreRen said...

Thank you for making a story that can be romantic without having a breakup or death at the end.....

Its perfect. :)

inside writer said...
I love that you incourperate the title into the beginging and use that line again in the end. Awsome job! You could write a book!

D_Beauty said...
Aww! So cute and romantic! Its great! Keep writing!! 

FutureNovelist said...

that was soo cute. I loved it. The story kept me smiling from the beginning. :D

great job, keep writing.