Kiss Me One Last Time...

I’m pouring raspberry iced tea into wine glasses; we’re out of wine and I’m feeling an urge to be sophisticated.

Three ice cubes for me, none for Daniel. Inexplicably, he has never liked ice in his drinks.

I look up, my gaze falling on Daniel. We are in the middle of watching The Bourne Identity, since apparently it’s a crime that I hadn’t yet seen it. It is entertaining, but really, I’m only watching it for Daniel. He lives vicariously through Jason Bourne, I think.

I take the wine glasses in my hands and close the short distance between our tiny kitchen and the couch, setting the drinks on the coffee table. In my absence, Daniel has stretched out to occupy the entire length of the couch, which gives me no choice but to lie down on top of him. I am more than happy to do so.

As I gently climb over him, his arm comes up around my shoulders, pulling me down next to him. His head turns and his stunning green eyes meet mine. He smiles and I momentarily forget how to breathe.

We have been married for a year and a half now, and we see each other constantly, but somehow I am still blown away by his looks. He is easily the most attractive man I have ever seen, and I can’t help but notice that every time I look at him. On top of that, I am hopelessly in love with him. So things have worked out pretty well.

My hand is resting on his, and my head falls onto his chest as he strokes my hair.

Jason Bourne is now sprinting dramatically from whoever is pursuing him. Daniel is watching intently. I hate to distract him, but he’s seen this before and I can’t help myself. I press myself firmly against him and kiss him.

He looks at me, grinning sweetly. “What was that for?”

“Do I need a reason?” I ask softly, and kiss him again.

The look in his eyes is incredible, and makes me remember the first time he looked at me like that.

We had been dating for six months, and Daniel had just driven me home from an amazing dinner. We were standing outside the door to my apartment, trying to find the willpower to tear ourselves away from each other. I thanked him for the date, he complimented my dress for about the twentieth time, and then he kissed me. Now, we had kissed before that, but there was something else in that one. Something that made it... intoxicating. We pulled away, and then I kissed him back, knowing it was late and I needed to say goodnight. Three fantastic kisses later, I managed to pry myself away from him and unlock the door. We said goodnight, and right as I was stepping through the doorway, I turned and said,

“Kiss me one last time.”

And that was when this breathtaking expression graced his features. A mixture of surprise, utter delight, and one other thing. I didn’t recognize it then, but I know it well now.

It was love. Pure and honest love.

And that’s the look he’s giving me right now. It’s absolutely glorious.

He kisses me one more time, and then his gaze falls back on the glowing television screen. I don’t mind. His thumb is tracing tiny circles on my arm. I would be content to stay like this for days.

However, before I know it, and much too soon, the movie is over. It is close to midnight and we should both be getting to bed so we can get up for work in the morning.

I start to lift myself off Daniel, but he pulls me back down and envelops me in his arms. I smile into his chest. He smells like rain.

We stay like that for a while, and then he stands up.

“All right hon, I’m going to bed,” he says in his sultry baritone, turning off the TV and placing the untouched wine glasses back on the kitchen counter.

“I’ll be right behind you,” I reply as he comes over to kiss me goodnight. “Love you.” I mean it with every fiber of my being.

He smiles broadly. “I love you, too.” he says, then turns in the direction of our bedroom.

I sit for a moment, watching him. Then,

“Daniel?” I say.

He turns back to me.

“Kiss me one last time.”

He does.

sugar lipz said...
Jul. 3, 2011 at 6:58 pm:
this is such a good story roantic!! :)

ritabelle511 said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm:
What a great piece! Makes me smile :)

Hermione700This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 4:39 pm:
Fantastic job!!!! :D Its so sweet and heart warming

monkeyfaceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 8:03 pm :

THis i one m=of my ABSOLUTE favorites out of althe srtoies here. it is touching and romantic and i can easily see myself being there as your charecter or somebody standing and watching it all unfold right in front of me.Its not sloppy and you doont ust lay out words you have a way of saying them...a way of speaking out to people..your readers...WELL DONE GIRLY i also love the begining...5 stars from me

Keep writing ill be waiting to hear more for you and your amazing soficticated way o... (more »)

Little2Feet said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 11:55 am:
Aw :) It's adorable!!! I absolutely love the story! Great job!!!

Dancing2222 said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 11:24 am:
That was so cute!!! I kept waiting for something terrible to happen like they break up or somthing, but they didn't! It made me smile:)

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 9:25 am:
There are no words to describe how good this is!!! I love it! Incredibly adorable :)

asheyknees123 said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 8:43 am:
this was soooo cute. great job :)

K.M.S.Shear said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 7:29 am:

great charters

emmernemmer said...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 6:17 pm:
Super sweet!

InkJetSpirit3 said...
May 16, 2011 at 11:21 pm:
what else to say than...Amazing?

Yaz97 said...
May 16, 2011 at 7:49 pm:
I LOVED IT. WITH MY EVERY FIBRE. I actually read it a few times...fantastic.

jillianinflesh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm:
A-MAZ-ING!

writergirl4ever17 said...
May 16, 2011 at 3:13 pm:
Really cute...short and incrediably sweet!

twizzlerluva97 said...
May 16, 2011 at 12:39 pm:

that was so beautiul i mean really wow plz keep writing u have such a wonderful talent.

Jesse T. said...
May 16, 2011 at 9:56 am:
This was amazing! Keep writing dont let this talent slip away from you. You have it there. Keep it there.

AthenaBook said...
May 16, 2011 at 8:34 am:
Great article!!!!! I loved it!!!!!!! Amazing!!!! And I keep using !!!! but it really was great :)

Victoria_P said...
May 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm:
that was amazing!

kkkkanabelkkkk replied...
May 8, 2011 at 10:02 pm :
uh.... ummmm..... no words to describe it. it was utterly beautifl!!!! i felt it with every fiber of my being!!!!

brookbaker said...
More, this is so unique and beautiful. I cherish this kind of love, I know what it is like.