Kiss Me One Last Time...

I’m pouring raspberry iced tea into wine glasses; we’re out of wine and I’m feeling an urge to be sophisticated.

Three ice cubes for me, none for Daniel. Inexplicably, he has never liked ice in his drinks.

I look up, my gaze falling on Daniel. We are in the middle of watching The Bourne Identity, since apparently it’s a crime that I hadn’t yet seen it. It is entertaining, but really, I’m only watching it for Daniel. He lives vicariously through Jason Bourne, I think.

I take the wine glasses in my hands and close the short distance between our tiny kitchen and the couch, setting the drinks on the coffee table. In my absence, Daniel has stretched out to occupy the entire length of the couch, which gives me no choice but to lie down on top of him. I am more than happy to do so.

As I gently climb over him, his arm comes up around my shoulders, pulling me down next to him. His head turns and his stunning green eyes meet mine. He smiles and I momentarily forget how to breathe.

We have been married for a year and a half now, and we see each other constantly, but somehow I am still blown away by his looks. He is easily the most attractive man I have ever seen, and I can’t help but notice that every time I look at him. On top of that, I am hopelessly in love with him. So things have worked out pretty well.

My hand is resting on his, and my head falls onto his chest as he strokes my hair.

Jason Bourne is now sprinting dramatically from whoever is pursuing him. Daniel is watching intently. I hate to distract him, but he’s seen this before and I can’t help myself. I press myself firmly against him and kiss him.

He looks at me, grinning sweetly. “What was that for?”

“Do I need a reason?” I ask softly, and kiss him again.

The look in his eyes is incredible, and makes me remember the first time he looked at me like that.

We had been dating for six months, and Daniel had just driven me home from an amazing dinner. We were standing outside the door to my apartment, trying to find the willpower to tear ourselves away from each other. I thanked him for the date, he complimented my dress for about the twentieth time, and then he kissed me. Now, we had kissed before that, but there was something else in that one. Something that made it... intoxicating. We pulled away, and then I kissed him back, knowing it was late and I needed to say goodnight. Three fantastic kisses later, I managed to pry myself away from him and unlock the door. We said goodnight, and right as I was stepping through the doorway, I turned and said,

“Kiss me one last time.”

And that was when this breathtaking expression graced his features. A mixture of surprise, utter delight, and one other thing. I didn’t recognize it then, but I know it well now.

It was love. Pure and honest love.

And that’s the look he’s giving me right now. It’s absolutely glorious.

He kisses me one more time, and then his gaze falls back on the glowing television screen. I don’t mind. His thumb is tracing tiny circles on my arm. I would be content to stay like this for days.

However, before I know it, and much too soon, the movie is over. It is close to midnight and we should both be getting to bed so we can get up for work in the morning.

I start to lift myself off Daniel, but he pulls me back down and envelops me in his arms. I smile into his chest. He smells like rain.

We stay like that for a while, and then he stands up.

“All right hon, I’m going to bed,” he says in his sultry baritone, turning off the TV and placing the untouched wine glasses back on the kitchen counter.

“I’ll be right behind you,” I reply as he comes over to kiss me goodnight. “Love you.” I mean it with every fiber of my being.

He smiles broadly. “I love you, too.” he says, then turns in the direction of our bedroom.

I sit for a moment, watching him. Then,

“Daniel?” I say.

He turns back to me.

“Kiss me one last time.”

He does.

Dragonfly_Girl said...
This is so sweet!! There are so many stories about teenage romances (ones that dont usually last), I love how this couple is married, but it isn't any less passionate. It's really well written. Great!

ChocoMint said...
I know a million and one people have commented on this article, but it really is great.  I love how they are married!  It makes it so much sweeter.  I also love the tiny flashback you give; it fits perfectly with the flow.  Keep it up!  <><

kre101 said...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 11:20 am:
This is really good!!

LeahRae<3 said...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 10:43 am:
Beautiful. I love stories like this that...capture little moments in life. It's almost like taking a picture with words, and in my opinion, that's the best kind of writing there is. You can almost feel like you're right there in the story, with all the feelings and thoughts of the character. Continue writing because you are very talented.

mariah22This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This was great! It flowed perfectly! I loved it. Maybe you could read my poem? It's called, My Little Girl! thanks and once again, loved it!

star3033 said...
Very romantic. Like your writing style.

teenwriter101 said...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 9:36 am:
amazing!! :)

writer015 said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:48 pm:
This was amazing!!! :)

Ashley M. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:10 pm:
you should check out my poem Briar Rose if you ever get a chance, its my first poem and i was hoping for some feedback from some more experienced and popular writers!

billgamesh11 said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 7:25 pm:
WOW. I LOVED IT!!! I have read this about 3 times already...I'll read it just one last time...:):):);)

Zaniarah said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:15 pm:
This is so sweet! It's one of those things you read and start feeling so warm inside. I love it.

Zaniarah replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm :
Oh yeah, I need to advertise a bit. Please take a look at my short romance story 'Fishing butterflies'. I need feedback, thank you.

KatrinaCampbell said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 4:22 pm:
Love it :') There's always so much dramatic stuff to read (which is awesome), but it's nice to read some fluff every once and a while :) Gives me hope for happiness!

paperandpen said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 3:57 pm:
i love it so much:) it's so cute!

practicallyquixotic said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm:
This was sooo amazing and well written!! You have such a talent :) I love the whole sweetness of it!

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 17, 2011 at 11:49 am:
I loved the story! and was impressed! Great job! its just so sweet! (Sorry for the advertizing!) If any of u coulld read my two stories called the beast and nightstalker, that would be great! Also please post comments saying if u liked it or not. Thanks! And keep writing! :D

Jul. 16, 2011 at 7:16 pm:
It was really great! Its just so sweet! good job and keep writing! :D (Sorry for advertizing) I just wrote two stories called the beast and nightstalker. If any of u could check them out, that would be appreciated. And please post comments saying if u liked it or not or if i should change anything. Thanks! :)(:

spackle16 said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 6:44 pm:
aww this is so sweet!! it makes me excited for the future, when i'll meet my own "daniel" :)

Tyra96 said...
Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:22 pm:
that was one of the sweetest things i've ever read and it inspires me to write, i just adore your talent and grace in this story

singingwriter14 said...
Jul. 4, 2011 at 9:12 pm:
That is super sweet. I love this story! :-D