Kiss Me One Last Time...

I’m pouring raspberry iced tea into wine glasses; we’re out of wine and I’m feeling an urge to be sophisticated.

Three ice cubes for me, none for Daniel. Inexplicably, he has never liked ice in his drinks.

I look up, my gaze falling on Daniel. We are in the middle of watching The Bourne Identity, since apparently it’s a crime that I hadn’t yet seen it. It is entertaining, but really, I’m only watching it for Daniel. He lives vicariously through Jason Bourne, I think.

I take the wine glasses in my hands and close the short distance between our tiny kitchen and the couch, setting the drinks on the coffee table. In my absence, Daniel has stretched out to occupy the entire length of the couch, which gives me no choice but to lie down on top of him. I am more than happy to do so.

As I gently climb over him, his arm comes up around my shoulders, pulling me down next to him. His head turns and his stunning green eyes meet mine. He smiles and I momentarily forget how to breathe.

We have been married for a year and a half now, and we see each other constantly, but somehow I am still blown away by his looks. He is easily the most attractive man I have ever seen, and I can’t help but notice that every time I look at him. On top of that, I am hopelessly in love with him. So things have worked out pretty well.

My hand is resting on his, and my head falls onto his chest as he strokes my hair.

Jason Bourne is now sprinting dramatically from whoever is pursuing him. Daniel is watching intently. I hate to distract him, but he’s seen this before and I can’t help myself. I press myself firmly against him and kiss him.

He looks at me, grinning sweetly. “What was that for?”

“Do I need a reason?” I ask softly, and kiss him again.

The look in his eyes is incredible, and makes me remember the first time he looked at me like that.

We had been dating for six months, and Daniel had just driven me home from an amazing dinner. We were standing outside the door to my apartment, trying to find the willpower to tear ourselves away from each other. I thanked him for the date, he complimented my dress for about the twentieth time, and then he kissed me. Now, we had kissed before that, but there was something else in that one. Something that made it... intoxicating. We pulled away, and then I kissed him back, knowing it was late and I needed to say goodnight. Three fantastic kisses later, I managed to pry myself away from him and unlock the door. We said goodnight, and right as I was stepping through the doorway, I turned and said,

“Kiss me one last time.”

And that was when this breathtaking expression graced his features. A mixture of surprise, utter delight, and one other thing. I didn’t recognize it then, but I know it well now.

It was love. Pure and honest love.

And that’s the look he’s giving me right now. It’s absolutely glorious.

He kisses me one more time, and then his gaze falls back on the glowing television screen. I don’t mind. His thumb is tracing tiny circles on my arm. I would be content to stay like this for days.

However, before I know it, and much too soon, the movie is over. It is close to midnight and we should both be getting to bed so we can get up for work in the morning.

I start to lift myself off Daniel, but he pulls me back down and envelops me in his arms. I smile into his chest. He smells like rain.

We stay like that for a while, and then he stands up.

“All right hon, I’m going to bed,” he says in his sultry baritone, turning off the TV and placing the untouched wine glasses back on the kitchen counter.

“I’ll be right behind you,” I reply as he comes over to kiss me goodnight. “Love you.” I mean it with every fiber of my being.

He smiles broadly. “I love you, too.” he says, then turns in the direction of our bedroom.

I sit for a moment, watching him. Then,

“Daniel?” I say.

He turns back to me.

“Kiss me one last time.”

He does.

real_me@26,33 said...
Nov. 30, 2011 at 12:07 am:
Aww this was sooo cute :) 

sondheimfreakThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I LOVE THIS

suprgrl_21 said...
Very well written, the description used in this story really made me feel like i was apart of it. Well Done!!

BrokenBreeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Once again, you seem to have amazed me with your writing. Well done.

Knight_ said...
I love this. So sweet and romantic 

AuthorJeanneNolan said...
Nov. 8, 2011 at 9:51 am:
This is REALLY good!

Fia-fia said...
This is really nice, so sweet and calm. Thank you! :)

Art-Writing44This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is one of my favorite stories. Its so relaxed and everything melts into the storyline perfectly. Great work :)

mikkigirl2012 said...
I love it... It's sweet and very well written. 

P@in545 said...
Oct. 18, 2011 at 9:57 am:
Wow thats amazing. It reminds me of me and my love.

clumsyteardropper said...
ooooommyyyygoshhhh!  i fell in love with it!!!  SUPER CUTE!!!

lrshapThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
So insanley amazing! loved it. SWEET like SuRgaR

da swagg queen said...
i loved this.It was so romantic.I could read this over and over again. it is very calming.you guys should stay together 4 ever.Make shure u both always keep god in your relationship.

da realestgirl... said...
THat was so sweet it sounds like you to are wonderfully happy and wish the best for u.. :) Stay encourge and the really motivates me to get a wonderful man like yours!!!

ocean breezes said...
that was simply beautiful

firstsnowfalls This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so sweet.  It is simple, but beautiful.  I don't know much about the characters, but the little things that you sneak in make me love them already.

loveshortstuff11 said...
Awww. Oh my gosh, this is beautiful!

vampiresrock said...

awww...love it

CrystalMarie said...
Sept. 6, 2011 at 11:26 am:
This is really really good!

megglemsm97 said...
I love this! It's so sweet how they're married. And I love the beginning "we're out of wine and i'm feeling an urge to be sophisticated." I already miss the characters! Definitely one of the best short romances I've read so far. Keep writing, you have such an amazing gift!