First Crush | Teen Ink

First Crush

August 16, 2009
By Anonymous

September 8th, 2005

The alarm screamed in her ears. Priya woke up and dreaded that it was the first day of school. She trudged to her bathroom and got ready. She looked in the mirror and studied her reflection. Thick rimmed glasses, dark hair tied back in a messy ponytail, darkish tint on her upper lip, same old style. To be quite honest she was the nerdiest girl in the whole 8th grade. But she didn’t care, I mean what was it to her? She would stick to her friend group and make it day by day in middle school. What could possibly go wrong?

September 15th, 2005

“Come volunteer with me!” Michelle said.
“what? why? Where? I already volunteer in the library!” Priya hastily replied
“Please I don’t want to volunteer for the director alone! I really just want her to like me so that I can get into NHS this year! PLEASE?!”
“fine fine I’ll do it with you “ Priya replied
“Thanks so much! Tomorrow We’re going to start!”


September 16th, 2005


Priya walked to the room where she would be spending 1/2 of her lunch period everyday. She was going to be doing the usual. Sorting out papers blah blah blah. She entered the room and she saw the other volunteer. Evan. She knew him, and remembered that she had once done a class project with him. Whatever she thought. As she was pondering ways to avoid interaction with Evan, Mrs. Beck, the director of the National honor society and the woman the foursome would be working for, walked in the room and started to give instructions.

“ok you guys I want ya to sort through the information and put the papa’s in the folda’s based on subject and teacher listed, she commanded.

The threesome nodded their heads in unison and stared in horror at the mountain of paper worked that dominated the table.

“Ok well I guess Michelle and me will do the math for today and you can do spanish. Is that alright with you?” Priya stated.

“Why do I have to do spanish? The pile is way bigger! You two do it!” Evan protested.

“Um no it’s not. It’s much smaller. Why do you think that I gave it to you?” Priya protested.

“ Whatever I want to sort out the math papers. Evan adamantly stated.


Priya was furious. She decided not to make a scene and let him have the math stack. She started to sort out the spanish papers furiously. She knew that it was going to be tough to get through 1/2 a lunch period every day with him.

November 1st, 2005


“What do you mean you can’t volunteer anymore?” Priya asked in despair.

“well Mrs. Beck told me that since I’m applying to Honor Society I can’t volunteer anymore.” Michelle explained.

“Why? That’ doesn’t make sense!” Priya replied

“It’s because the stuff that you guys are going to be sorting out will be all the Honor Society applications, and she doesn’t want me to see the recommendations.” Michelle replied.

“Now what am I supposed to do? I quit volunteering at the library because we volunteered for Mrs. Beck together!” Priya replied indignantly

“You don’t have to quit”

“But now I’m alone with Evan. Great” Priya sighed and stared at her lunch tray. She disposed the contents and walked slowly to the room. Se finally reached the room and turned the door knob hesitantly.

“Hey Evan, Michelle can’t volunteer anymore, so it’s just you and me”

“Oh...ok.” He replied nonchalantly, “I just got started on the History pile. Go get the container on top of the cabinet. “
Priya climbed the step ladder to get to the top of the cabinet, but she couldn’t quite reach.

“Hey can you help me out Evan?” 
Evan came over but he accidently hit the step ladder that Priya was standing on, and she fell on top of him. Good thing the floor was carpeted because they went down hard. She started to get off of him when they locked eyes. Suddenly she felt super conscious. Are his hands on my back? She thought. “Oh my god how’s my breath? Does he want me to get off? I should probably get up.”
“I’m so sorry” Priya hesitantly said.
She hastily got up. For the remainder of the period they both kept quiet. When the bell rang she ran out as fast as she could. All day all she could think about was him. She couldn’t stop thinking about his dark eyes. She dreamed that they were these chasms she was falling into and at the end she would fall into his arms. She had fallen for him, and she could not help herself.

December 1st, 2005

Priya had spent the last month obsessing over Evan. Instead of doing homework, she wrote long entries about him in her diary. Instead of spending time with her family, she would sit in her bed and listen to love songs and fantasize about him. She would get up extra early in the morning and would spend hours on her outfit and her hair. Her life was all about Evan, and the one special thing they shared, a facade of disgust for one another.

Evan and Priya would bicker all of the time during their service. They would fight over the most mundane of things, such as which baseball team was the best or who had to organize the filing cabinet. Priya saw his constant bickering as flirting. To her, any attention was better than no attention. She would catch him looking at her in math class, and would swoon on the inside. Anytime she had the chance to talk to him she did. She didn’t notice any disdain in his voice. She knew that he liked her too and that her feelings could not have stemmed out of nowhere.


February 13, 2006

Dear Diary,

Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day a.k.a the perfect opportunity to tell Evan how I feel. I need to tell him that his eyes make my heart skip a beat, that his touch makes me forget how to breathe, that the sight of him makes my palms sweaty and my mouth dry. Does he already know? Does he already know that everyday the 1/2 of a lunch period I get to spend with him is the highlight of my day? Does he already know that since that day he is all that I can think of? Does he feel the same way? Wow just the thought of us together makes me heart beat faster. So I’m going to go for now. Bye ! :]
Love Always, Priya


Priya closed her diary and hid it in between her old math and social studies binders. She changed into her pink pajamas and set her alarm for 5:30 AM, an hour earlier than she usually got up. She put a small envelope inside of her backpack and crawled into bed smiling.

February 14th, 2006
5:30 AM

The buzz of the alarm woke Priya up instantly. She hopped out of bed excited and smiling. She stormed to her closet and picked out an outfit consisting of a pink top, a pair of skinny jeans, a heart necklace, and some black flats. She got ready for school and studied her reflection. She had her long dark hair in beautiful curls, there was no more unwanted facial hair or glasses, and her mascara accentuated her beautiful brown eyes. She grabbed her backpack and stormed out of the house.
7:30 AM

Priya had gotten to school early and went to find Evan’s locker. She located locker number 537 and jammed the envelope inside. She breathed a sigh of relief and walked to her first class.
12:30 PM

It was lunchtime and Priya ate her food as fast as she could. Her heart was beating a million miles an hour and her palms were wet with sweat. She had half a mind to skip seeing Evan, but worked up the courage to go. She took a deep breath and started to walk toward the room. She finally got there and saw Evan inside.
“Hey Evan”, she said, “what’s up?”
Evan Stared at her for a good 10 minutes. He finally responded.
“Meet me by the big tree behind the school at 3. I have something to do and it involves you.”
“Ok!” Priya replied. “This is it”, she thought. It’s finally going to be our moment together.”
3:00 PM

The last bell had just rung and Priya rushed out. She went to the bathroom and reapplied her lipgloss and mascara. She sprayed some breath spray into her mouth just in case. She speed walked to the tree smiling and then she saw him.
“Hey Evan! You said you wanted see me here?”
“Yea I wanted to thank you for the 2 box seat Mets tickets you gave me. I also wanted to show you someone.” He gestured to the corner and Priya saw her. She was probably as beautiful as a 13 year old girl could be. She was blonde,blue eyed, tall, and chesty. She walked over to Evan and they started to kiss.

Priya could feel her heart breaking. She could feel the pain engulfing her and the tears coming out. Her brain was screaming at her to run, but somehow her legs stayed frozen. Evan and the girl sopped kissing.
“Why are you still here? Can’t you take a hint that I don’t like you? Why would I like you when I can have someone like Jessica? So I’m going to leave and I would like you to stop following me ok? Oh, and here’s that pathetic note you gave me”
He crumbled and threw the note at her and left with Jessica. She fell to the ground and took the note. She clenched the note in her fist and let her heart break



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 71 comments.


on Aug. 31 2014 at 10:39 pm
TheStarsLaughAlong BRONZE, College Park, Maryland
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Wow, Evan is such a douchebag......but you captured the feeling of rejection perfectly in the story. Great job!

smogle said...
on Oct. 29 2012 at 11:20 am
smogle, Pacolet, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"One measure of pain is worth a lifetime in glory"

AWEEEEEE:(:(:(  this is so sad, but amazing at the same time!:(    i hate the ending....but in a good way though:) its like a good ending , but it ended in such a tragic way:(

on Oct. 29 2012 at 1:12 am
Srija B. BRONZE, Jamshedpur, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
This was a great story. it touched my heart and the ending was really heartbreaking! but very well written. :)

on Oct. 7 2012 at 6:39 pm
Logan_Elizabeth28 BRONZE, Willard, Ohio
4 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
Just Promise Me You'll Think Of Me Everytime You Look Up In The Sky And See A Star
-Eminem
"You're The Beautiful One, It's Society That's Ugly"
-Marilyn Monroe
"Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock!"
-The Big Bang Theory

One Word. Amazing. I mean, this is great, it's written beautifully. Nuff' Said. ~Logan~

on Jul. 11 2012 at 10:56 am
writer3499 GOLD, New Bedford, Massachusetts
11 articles 0 photos 196 comments

Favorite Quote:
"it's impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might has well not have lived at all-in which case you fail by default."
-J.K.Rowling

WOW that was a really devastating ending...you did such an amazing job!!

on Jun. 19 2012 at 8:22 pm
ignorance_is_bliss PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee
27 articles 0 photos 45 comments

Favorite Quote:
"This is what it is, this is who I am
This is where I finally take my stand
I didn't wanna fall but I about to crawl
I met the one with two scarred hands"

-Newsboys, Born Again

wow, i could feel the heart break so beautiful! u got what ever reader wants, a hook! great job!!!!!

on Jun. 19 2012 at 10:44 am
_ella_herondale BRONZE, San Diego, California
4 articles 2 photos 222 comments

Favorite Quote:
"...If the Thames that ran beside them...recalled a night where the moon shone as brightly as a shilling on the same boy and girl... and thought to themselves, 'at last, the wheel comes full circle,' they kept their silence."

The ending was a huge surprise but I did realllllyyyyy lovvvvveeeee this story! Good job!!

on May. 28 2012 at 2:16 pm
angel_of_silence PLATINUM, Cotulla, Texas
24 articles 0 photos 62 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The boy never cried again, and he never forgot what he'd learned: that to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed.” -Jace Wayland City of Bones

im shocked by the ending it was a great story

vazenitran98 said...
on May. 28 2012 at 8:06 am
vazenitran98, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 79 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street,I met a man who had no feet."

Oh my goodness! This is extraordinary! I can feel her heart break in myself. You are an amazing writer. I loved,loved,loved,this story. Keep writing! I look forward for more of what you would need to tell all of us!

on Dec. 14 2011 at 8:37 pm
RaveFire PLATINUM, Vancouver, Washington
32 articles 1 photo 217 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes You Have To Give Up Your Life To Save It." ~some book that i don't remember the name of

"Live Life Like There's No Yesterday" ~ random billboard

"If No One Can Hurt You, Then Nobody Loves You" ` ~ Kerli?

lol i think this is my fav story that ive read oon here so far.. i absolutly love it. :) so good

ILYx3 said...
on Dec. 4 2011 at 8:47 pm
ILYx3, Sydney, Other
0 articles 0 photos 13 comments
Lol is that justin bieber? :L

Megs23 SILVER said...
on Dec. 4 2011 at 7:37 pm
Megs23 SILVER, Lake Katrine, New York
5 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't take the shit that people give you. Throw it back in their faces." -Anonymous <3

I really liked how you wrote this story. I just think that Evan was a little too jerky. I thought that Priya and Evan would end up together in the end and i like how you did it so what we thought would happen didn't.

on Nov. 12 2011 at 2:57 am
Princess2011 BRONZE, New Delhi, Other
2 articles 3 photos 29 comments
it started beautifully! but.. lol evan was soo rude at the end!! nevertheless well wriotten coz it kept u glued  till the climax..btw i have one question to ask you.. why did u chose the name Priya?? no being Indian.. i was a little curious..just that

on Oct. 21 2011 at 5:40 am
Imperfectlife SILVER, Rochester, New York
7 articles 0 photos 74 comments
I agree with her, there were some typos, ( I'm pretty sure that Mrs. Beck's speech isn't a mistake, by the way I like it.) I like how the way you describe her broken heart. It was like you were there.

Ktaylorxo GOLD said...
on Sep. 29 2011 at 2:39 pm
Ktaylorxo GOLD, Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey
13 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everybody in this world will hurt you. You just gotta stick with the ones worth suffering for.

You had some really great ideas and I think the point is strong. You pulled at the reader's heart strings, but make sure you read it through before posting it. There were a lot of grammatical errors and errors in punctuation. Overall good job! (:

on Sep. 29 2011 at 3:28 am
Kat4ever333 GOLD, Orange, California
14 articles 35 photos 104 comments

Favorite Quote:
I make dark things beautiful and beautiful things dark!
-Kerli I.L.U

HEY!!! prettylittlewriter! whats up sophie???? and i agree its a cute story :)

on Aug. 16 2011 at 1:13 pm
bubbagump96 GOLD, Frederick, Maryland
11 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A friend shares their umbrella. A best friend grabs it and yells 'Run, Forrest, run!'".

Wow I had butterflies in my stomach waiting to find out Evan's reaction!!! Great story!! :)

on Jul. 25 2011 at 6:25 pm
billgamesh11 BRONZE, Grafton, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 278 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's always darkest before the dawn." ~Florence and the Machine

W

O

W

That was a really good story! It is the typical Valentine's Day story, but Evan WAS a little harsh. I mean, telling her that her note was pathetic and telling her to go behind the school just to watch him and some other gorgeous girl kiss is really mean, but you really made me feel how much Priya's heart broke! Good story and keep writing, I want to see more creative stories like this!!! :):):);)


on Jul. 3 2011 at 10:22 pm
prettylittlewriter BRONZE, Villa Park, California
2 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
These violent delights have violent ends.

It is a really cute story! Creative. You have a few grammar mistakes, but overall very good story! Maybe you can do a first person version like JelloAngel92 suggested! It would be so much more relatable. 

WriteItOff said...
on Jul. 3 2011 at 2:06 pm
WriteItOff, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 15 comments
Wow, sounds like every girls first crush, she makes a fool outa herself :P the evan guy was extremley harsh that its almost unrealistic, it seemed like u were only to accenturate how much it hurts, good story:)