A Girl

By eva kravette BRONZE, Sharon, Massachusetts
eva kravette BRONZE, Sharon, Massachusetts

I observe the rats scuttling between plastic bags, broken glass, cigarette butts.
The scent of Marlboro reds wafts down to where I stand. That familiar nicotine craving fills me as always. Reminds me of a girl (I love her.)

Oh break my heart why don’t you, my girl school classmate cigarette supplier, you blonde killer Marilyn Monroe curves. Tell me how filthy gays are for the hundredth time, and watch my eyes for the wound you are sure to inflict there. Mock my hair, my faith, my clothing, and my failed attempts of relationships.
But darling I know you want me more than any of your numerous men. Yes, you taunt me mercilessly. Everyone hates you and wonders to know why I put up with you when you treat me so badly. I even defend you when they insult you. They are jealous and you are beautiful, too beautiful for your own good. After school we walk the streets of the city, losing ourselves in the anonymity. We could be anything here, even friends almost falling in love with each other. During these rare blessed afternoons you expose your kindness, honesty and intelligence, the hidden virtuous life within. I could pretend you were innocent, forget the bartenders and drug dealers who frequent your bedroom. If you gave me a chance, I could allow you to become what I know you can be.
But you will never admit that you are anything but a tormenter, not in front of everyone you pretend to care so little about. So I will leave you here. This is goodbye to you, merciless one.

This is the point of departure. My diving board is yellow, the line that no one else should cross. Crumbling gaudy tile yellow, a caution. I bend my knees in preparation. Then fly into the air, a swift thrusting upwards motion of leg and muscle and willpower.

on Nov. 5 2011 at 8:32 pm
NKsunshine BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois

"I don't need easy, I just need possible!" ~Bethany Hamilton

Very well written, the emotion is veery raw and strong! I liked it(;

MissSMS said...
on May. 21 2011 at 10:17 am
MissSMS, Kevil, Kentucky

“-You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
-What mood is that?
-Last-minute panic.” - Calvin and Hobbes

Okay, wow. I didn't see that coming. Its wonderfully written, though it needs some editing. I enjoyed how you left the last paragragh purposely vague, giving readers the chance to decide what may or may not have happened.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!