The Big Three | Teen Ink

The Big Three MAG

July 29, 2009
By protagonist BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
protagonist BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

“What event triggered the Cuban missile crisis?”

My study buddy looked from his paper to me with those eyes – the eyes of Dorian Gray. “I guess Princeton Review doesn't see the irony of putting ‘trigger' and ‘missile crisis' in the same question,” he added.

I answered with a coquettish laugh and, of course, the correct answer: the Bay of Pigs invasion. I knew the answers to all these questions. It's not like I suggested the idea of a study session because I had difficulty remembering the events of the Kennedy administration.

“Who was the Soviet premier during the Cuban missile crisis?” His voice had a curious, musical ring to it like some character in a black and white movie you could never quite place.

“Khrushchev.” You would want to hear more of that voice … like the first ten seconds of a JFK speech, before the whole nasal rasp becomes too much.

“Spell Khrushchev.” Ha! My little Cape Cod golden boy was challenging me.

“The AP exam doesn't take off for spelling.” I looked him straight in the eyes – eyes that happened to be mere inches from mine. Thank you, Aphrodite, for making small tables at coffee houses everywhere.

“I want to see if you know it.”

I stared into the tangoing twirls of blue and silver in his eyes. They should have been strands of cotton candy, but something told me they were the current of an eddy waiting to pull me in. Once you're gone, you're gone.

“K.” But the whites of his eyes were crossed with little red veins.

“H.” Did he have trouble sleeping last night?

“R.” Or was he with her last night?

“U.” No, they broke up. He's single now, but blond boy's out of my league.

“S.” It's a challenge. Does that mean I should go for it?

“C.” I wouldn't know how.

“H.” Won't he just disappear from my life when the semester ends?

“E.” Not if I play this right.

“V.” What the hell, you only live once.

He stared at me for a moment, and I couldn't breathe but didn't care to; who needs oxygen when you have so much adrenalin in your veins there's barely room for blood?

“So close,” he said in a low voice. His voice is even better than his eyes. For a moment I wondered if he would lean in and kiss me. “But you forgot an H.”

Figures I would do something to ruin it. No kiss for me. I guess spelling the names of Soviet premiers isn't something guys consider a turn-on.

“This one's easy,” he said.

Something easy? It must not be kissing me.

“Name the Big Three.”

The Big Three … somehow my mind was clear on this one. It wasn't that the answer was clear, but my mind was clear like the kind of stream some obnoxiously perfect lyrical unicorn would drink from. For a mini-eternity I didn't think about the mounds of work I still had to do, the fact I was manipulating him to spend time with me, or those damn eyes. I thought of nothing … peace. The only three words that came to my head were “I love you.”

“Don't you know the Big Three?”

There were those eyes again. Stalin must have had captivating eyes, but in a different way. In these eyes there was concern … but only concern that I didn't know the answer. In them I saw his dreams, his amazement, his past loves, his cats … but was there anything for me?

“The Big Three are Stalin, Roosevelt, and Churchill.” With each name I couldn't help but feel my words betrayed them all. But it was the correct answer, and logically the only answer. Still, I couldn't look in his eyes.

“Are you sure?” My God, he was teasing me! Of all the questions he decided to make me second guess myself on, he had to pick this one.

Bastard. Blond handsome bastard. He was also playing me.

“Well, what other Big Three is there?” I asked in my most seductive voice. Those years of theater had to pay off sometime. I twirled a bit of curly hair around my finger. He loved my curly hair, so unlike his.

His eyes were staring into mine and I stared right back. Was I FDR and he Stalin, or the other way around? There was a flicker of something in those cotton-candy eyes and I knew he wasn't Stalin.

“I love you.” The words that slipped from his lips were barely audible.

“I love me too.” I bet no one had ever said that to a Kennedy before. But I hadn't won yet. “In fact, I love me almost as much as I love you.”


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 149 comments.


on Mar. 6 2011 at 3:03 pm
LinaCarter BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
-Everybody Dies, But Not Everybody Lives. -Drake, rapper

-While everybody stares, I think that I might take the elevator. -Kid Ink, rapper

This is very well written. I personally don't understand some of it because Im not fimilar with some of the people you talked about, but I love how clever it is. Makes you think.

on Mar. 6 2011 at 3:02 pm
PaRaNoRmAl627 GOLD, Mountainside, New Jersey
15 articles 0 photos 296 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do what you want. If it's something you'll regret in the morning, sleep late."

aww, this is adorable! the "i love you" was so unexpected, but I was so happy he said it!

on Mar. 6 2011 at 10:26 am
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

I love this story! It's really original, I've never heard anything like this before.

on Feb. 17 2011 at 6:22 pm
RedheadAtHeart ELITE, Mountain Home, Idaho
109 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
Love with open hands. - Madeleine L'Engle

Omg so cute! I love how clever she is. Beautifully written. (I loved the Khrushchev part!)

Will you check out some of my work, too? :)


on Feb. 5 2011 at 2:51 pm
Pia_HainzCiavelli SILVER, St.James, Other
5 articles 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
Such is liife :)

story's qute! u should read my stuff sumtime!

on Jan. 21 2011 at 12:09 pm
claudiathewho SILVER, West Tisbury, Massachusetts
8 articles 1 photo 43 comments
This is an excellent story. I love it. And, to be honest, it's something I wish I could have written. Well done.

on Jan. 1 2011 at 10:09 pm
PoetLaureate07 PLATINUM, Aberdeen, Mississippi
32 articles 0 photos 246 comments

Favorite Quote:
To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing..

i love this!! there is no doubt about that!!!

reenay_95 GOLD said...
on Dec. 30 2010 at 9:50 pm
reenay_95 GOLD, West Lafayette, Indiana
16 articles 0 photos 86 comments

Favorite Quote:
You can't see the stars if you are always looking down.

i liked the history motif =]

on Dec. 10 2010 at 10:30 am
SecretSasha SILVER, Cibolo, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 68 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop"

This story was so good! I love the imagery and the emotions. It was so sweet! Are you going to write a second part to it? Like what the boy replys to her comment? Anyways, I loved it!

on Dec. 10 2010 at 2:03 am
taintedannex GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
15 articles 5 photos 166 comments

Favorite Quote:
The truth is that at some point, everyone's going to hurt you. You just have to decide who's worth the pain.

Some say having something to lose is what makes you vulnerable. I believe that having something to lose only makes you stronger.

This is so sweet and very well written!

I especially liked comparing his eyes to Dorian Gray and the bit with the spelling :) 


on Dec. 9 2010 at 10:25 pm
amandajeysing SILVER, Kuala Lumpur, Other
8 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
I am my Beloved's; His desire is for me












Song of Songs 7:10












The Holy Bible

i think it was really good! But, i try to stay away from stories like this for personal reasons...

on Dec. 8 2010 at 9:53 pm
smilesunshine PLATINUM, Puyallup, Washington
34 articles 4 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you're lucky enough to be different from everyone else, don't change to be the same." ~Taylor Swift

I love this. The characters teasing is so great, it's like two best friends when they tease each other and they are too afraid to say a word about their feelings for each other. Wow!! That is so awesome! Great job, keep writing!!! :)

lexicaroline said...
on Dec. 8 2010 at 8:07 pm
lexicaroline, Banner Elk, North Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
Wow. I am jealous. This is awesome. You should definately feel proud. :) Congrats. You have blown my dress up, and I'm not even wearing a dress.

on Dec. 8 2010 at 5:35 pm
SecretlyWriting BRONZE, Keokuk, Iowa
4 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
Say what you want, but I am who I am and thats something you will never be.

I LOVE THIS!

all I can say! One of the best stories ive read on here! It was AMAZING. Pleease keep writting!


on Dec. 8 2010 at 3:26 pm
ErisRose DIAMOND, Ashburn, Virginia
50 articles 1 photo 81 comments

Favorite Quote:
Omnia vincit amor et nos cedamus amori- Love conquers all let us yield to love
Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, Bones Heal, Suck it up and dance!
If they give you ruled paper, write the other way

I loved this story! I want something like this to happen to me. Check out my work if you get a chance

on Dec. 8 2010 at 2:48 pm
TryingToBeNaturallyMe, Allen Park, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments
What a daydream!!! This was very descriptive. It has all those things they tell to do in english; details, description, engaging the audience, and most importantly tone. Good Job! I love the line about JFK's nasal voice..

djwhat5 said...
on Dec. 8 2010 at 10:03 am
this is a very good story and i like it alot

Dayne22 SILVER said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 6:14 pm
Dayne22 SILVER, Las Cruces, New Mexico
6 articles 31 photos 82 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication"- Leonardo DaVinci "Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are" -Markus Zusak "I'm just trying to be me... Whoever that is" Unknown

awwwww how adorable i just LOVE it i mean how cute is that!? so cute awwwwwwwwww

on Nov. 28 2010 at 2:00 pm
Kaylin_Mackenzie GOLD, Tomball, Texas
13 articles 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You might not like me, but Jesus thinks I'm to die for!"
"L.O.V.E's just another word I'll never learn to pronounce...."

I love the last line!!!

on Nov. 20 2010 at 10:08 am
awesomeaugust GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts
10 articles 0 photos 176 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground"
~Theordore Roosevelt

Wow! That was really, really good! I remember reading it in the print magazine and thinking about it later on, but not being able to find it. I couldn't believe it when I clicked on your username. Thanks for commenting on "Defying Love" but only one complaint: Write more!