The Last Love Letter | Teen Ink

The Last Love Letter

May 23, 2009
By Evvyon SILVER, Richardson, Texas
Evvyon SILVER, Richardson, Texas
9 articles 3 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.


"Cry as I may these tears won’t wash you away," it was the note that was left in my locker by one of the gullible girls who thought they could manage to make me fall in love with them. The letter itself was very congruous to the ones that the other girls that I have once dated left, and maybe if they didn't have a dearth of skepticism they would not have taken to rumors about me for granted.

"It's amazing how someone can break your heart and you can still love them with all the little pieces," ugh why is she trying to make me feel bad? Seriously! They were the ones who asked me out! I never once promised them anything in return and yet they all demanded more from me.

"What happens when he's your prince charming, but you're not his Cinderella," this note was really getting on my last nerves. What was with this girl, and all her depressing love quotes? I know she can find someone better!

“When you're in love and you get hurt, it's like a cut, it will heal with time but the scars will never fade, you will always have a piece of my heart... I miss you more than you'll ever know, Thi," finally the note was over, so I crumpled it up and threw it away.

I hope Thi finds happiness, even if I'm not the one to provide it to her. I felt a tear slip out of the corner of my left eye. Knowing that I have hurt someone else made me feel grim, when will I ever be able to return the love that was bestowed upon me? Was I cursed to hurt people who honestly cared about me in Leon High School?
~~~


I witnessed the whole scene play out in front of me. Oliver Olin Olson cried? Why? He was the rumored heart breaker, whom girls couldn't help but fall in love with. A typical rebel, but one who was secretly smart, (he was the second of our class, top for the guys, because no one could beat Acelynn,) girls always flocked around him, begging him to date them, and he never turned anyone down. However, it never lasted over a week with anyone. On the seventh day of dating someone he always broke up with them, not showing the slightest amount of remorse.

Then why were his hazel eyes filled with such furtive pain? Was he really the person I thought he was? Does that mean the rumors weren't true? There was only one way to find out what kind of person he was... and that was to date him and find out for myself.

I, True Harmony, will find if he was really a bad person, because I can not stand to see such beautiful eyes in such pain.
~~~

“Dear Oliver, please go out with me, Love <3 True Harmony,” I burst out with frivolous laughter. True Harmony? What kind of name was that? What kind of person was she? Shouldn't she know better than to go out with me! Girls are gullible, always falling for looks. However, I can't say no, it's against my policy to never turn anyone down unless I had a girlfriend.

“Okay,” I left my one word response in her locker.
~~~

“Yes!”

“What is it True,” asked my best friend Acelynn.

“I'm dating Oliver Olson!”

“What!? Is that really a good thing? He is a womanizer after all!”

“But I think he is deeper than that,” I muttered.

“Well he is stunning, if your into that whole bad boy thing,” Acelynn pondered.

He was just that with messy, bed-head sandy blond hair, and very passionate hazel eyes. Not to mention he towered over the majority of the student body with his bewildering height, but he also seemed like someone I could relate to. Someone who was quiet, and unable to fall in love with just anyone.

“I'm not going to speak to him for seven days,” I said.

“What? But after seven days he always breaks up with his girlfriend!”

“I know, but I'm afraid if I talk to him face to face I'll fall for him.”

“Hellooo... I thought you already liked him!”

“I do, but I don't want him to know that I love him, yet,” I muttered.

“So how will you talk to him,” Acelynn asked.

“Love Letters.”
~~~

The first letter from True showed up the second day we started dating. It read:


Dear Oliver,



I know I'm far to much of a coward to look you in the eyes and tell you how I feel about you. After all I know that after seven days you will probably forget all about me, and looking into your eyes will only make that day hurt more. I used to think you were a heartless player, but then I learned that you and I are much the same... We are both looking for love but unable to find it, well I guess now I'm different from you because I fell for you. I know deep down you are kind and caring person so I hope one day you will care for someone as much as I care for you, even if I am not that person. I want you to know my feelings for you, and I will constantly remind you of these feelings for the week we date. So please reply to this letter.









With devotion,












True Harmony


I never encountered this before. Kind person, me? She must be thinking of someone else. This girl must be really willful. However, I decided to humor her and picked up a pen...

~~~

Oliver left a note in my locker the next day, it read as follows:


True Harmony,


You must have some warped parents to get a name like that. I appreciate your honesty, but if by the end of this week I cannot return your feelings I will move on. You may think I'm a kind person but I must contradict you, I after all am quite the opposite of that. I do however, want to meet you face to face before the seven days come to an end. Please tell me what kind of person you are.











Oliver O. Olson

I replied.

~~~

Her second letter came on the third day, soon after my letter, it read:


Oliver,


Your curiosity makes me so happy! When I read you letter my heart skipped a beat. See you are a caring person! You didn't have to write back but you did! My name True Harmony is because my parents were composers of music, my dad plays the violin, and my mom was a piano composer until she passed away when I was eight. Well I guess I can be describes as a stubborn person, well thats what Acelynn says, she's my best friend! I am the kind of person who finds it easier to convey my feelings when people are not around to see them, but I really want to know about you too! Why do you only date girls for seven days?














True

No one ever asked me why I only dated girls for seven days before.

~~~

His letter arrived on the fourth day.


True,


You are actually the first person who ever asked me that, and the answer is because of my big sister Miranda. She passed away five years ago when I was eleven. She wanted me to fall in love and be happy and she told me, “You know it's love, if you can fall in love in seven days,” because she fell in love with her true love in seven days. He died, and she committed suicide. I never told anyone this before. I feel safe telling you personal things. You remind me of Miranda she was really stubborn too. Although, she was a bully, but I don't think your like that. In fact I think you a good person, and I think I may actually end up falling for you.









Oliver













Does that mean he likes me? That was the last letter I got until the seventh day.
~~~






I never had this feeling for anyone that was besides the people I shared blood relations with. Was it love? Did I love True? I felt such a strong connection to her. It was day seven, but I was doubtful if I wanted to break up with her of not. Did I love her? How was this possible I never even met her face to face. I decided to send her one more letter. It was short and to the point.


True,


I need to meet you face to face. Meet me at the Cafe on the corner of First Street and Lincoln Drive. Don't worry I don't want to see you so we can break up. I want to meet you and continue to date. Write back.











Oliver
~~~

I was ecstatic! I was going to date him! Was this possible? What should I wear? How should I do my make up? I was so happy I almost forgot to write back.

“Acelynn! I'm dating Oliver! He told me he's not going to break up with me!”

“That's great True, but don't shout so loud you don't know who can be eavesdropping,” Acelynn whispered.

“We have a date at the Cafe on the corner of First Street today,” I was so happy I couldn't even control the rigor of my voice! Later I wish I had.

“Well be sure to tell him your coming,” Acelynn muttered.



Dear Oliver,


I am overjoyed! My heart won't stop racing! I can finally say it I love you! I have loved you since the first time I saw you. I will defiantly come and see you.











True Harmony
~~~

I saw her cross the street. The way she looked at me confirmed it was her. She had really long and pretty, curly, black hair that went down to the small of her back, and elegant features that made her look like royalty. So this is True. She really was pretty.

She made it across the street and walked up to my table, with a slight blush on her pale cheeks, and when she stood directly in front of me she stammered in such an adorable way I really wanted to hug her.

“Hi... I'm True... We wrote letters together....”

“Yes, I know who you are, you are the girl who made me fall for her.”

She blushed a deep crimson color.

“OLIVER HOW COULD YOU,” a shrill shriek made my head pivot around. It was Thi. Whose heart I broke.

“Thi I'm sorry I wasn't able to love you, but I met someone I could love.”

“SO YOU FIND IT FUNNY TO PLAY WITH GIRLS FEELINGS? WAS I JUST A TOY!? I EARNESTLY LOVED YOU! HOW COULD YOU?”

She stumbled towards me, and I could smell the rank scent of alcohol on her breath.

“OLIVER YOU WILL REGET HURTING ME!”

“Thi, stop it,” it was True who spoke.

“SHUT UP OR I'LL KILL YOU!”

Thi reached into her pocket, pulled out a gun, and pointed it at True.

“THI STOP,” I ordered.

“IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU NO ONE CAN!”

BANG.

Sharp pain.

An angel's scream.

Darkness.
~~~

It has been six months since the funeral. Six months since I lost the person I thought I could spent my life with. Six months since Thi was sent to jail. Six months since I regretted talking so loudly to Acelynn about our date Six months since I felt anything other then remorse. Six months since the police gave me one last love letter.


My Dearest True,


I love you. You are my first and only love. I want to spend time with you and make you happy, but I know I can't. I'm too afraid to lose you, like I lost everybody else I loved. “When you are in love and you get hurt, it’s like a cut... it will heal, but there will always be a scar,” someone who loved me ones said this. You made the scar of my sister's death disappear. I know that you will object and say you want to be with me, but I'm not breaking up with you.

I'm asking you to wait. Wait until I become a person worthy of you. I will always be there for you, but I want to treat you like a treasure, I want to support you the way you supported me. Please say you will wait for me my precious True. I want to become the perfect person you can be with. I write this with the hopes that we will one day have a life together, and also because I am to much of a coward to say these words, so I must write them. I want you to have all of my heart.











Love,










Oliver



“When you are in love and you get hurt, it’s like a cut... it will heal, but there will always be a scar,” Oliver told me this, but I know that some wounds were never meant to heal.


The author's comments:
It links in with other pieces I wrote.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 237 comments.


on Apr. 1 2016 at 6:26 pm
Aaliyah02 SILVER, Pflugervile, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
" If you can dream it, you can do it"

Oh my goodness... I can't believe Thi did that... Poor True :( They were going to be great for each other

dpurdy said...
on Mar. 16 2016 at 1:30 pm
dpurdy, Craryville Ny, New York
0 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
always love yourself no matter what.

it melt my hearts

dpurdy said...
on Mar. 16 2016 at 1:21 pm
dpurdy, Craryville Ny, New York
0 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
always love yourself no matter what.

omg i love this article

on Aug. 21 2013 at 2:02 am
ElvenGlory GOLD, Pocatello, Idaho
11 articles 3 photos 4 comments
Omg! This was so sweet! It melted my heart, completely and utterly!!!

on Jun. 1 2013 at 4:57 pm
I just wanted to say how I really love you pieces they are so pure and emotional they convey pain, remorse and love all mixed together and really make you think. Keep writing you really have a gift and good luck I expect to see your stories published one day. :)

on Dec. 4 2012 at 11:46 am
wolfexeder BRONZE, Chubbuck, Idaho
1 article 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
the pain will go away but the scares will remain.

i love this its so heart felt

on Oct. 26 2012 at 12:16 am
JuliaRuby SILVER, Melbourne, Other
8 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you will land among the stars
By Les Brown

so beautiful! i love it..

on Oct. 8 2012 at 5:42 pm
iloveyouihateyou GOLD, Lowell, Indiana
11 articles 18 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

WOW. that's all i have to say.

kyyang17 GOLD said...
on Sep. 20 2012 at 5:40 pm
kyyang17 GOLD, Parsippany, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 2 comments
Ohhh wait a minute I'm stupid, Oliver does die doesn't he? Thi eventually point the gun at him..... ///slaps self\\\ 

kyyang17 GOLD said...
on Sep. 20 2012 at 4:28 pm
kyyang17 GOLD, Parsippany, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 2 comments
Love this story... but I'm confused about something. True is the one who died, right? If so, then how did the police give her the letter? And why did it seem like Oliver died when it was her point of view...? Also, if Oliver really did die, then why is it that when it's his POV, Thi is pointing the gun at True, and shoots? ...maybe I'm just being stupid by not understanding... but other than that confusing part, the plot develops quite nicely.... :) good job

on Aug. 21 2012 at 11:42 am
Tarah18 PLATINUM, Brockton, Massachusetts
30 articles 3 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If a man can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl he simply isn't giving the kiss the attention it deserves."
~Albert Einstein

omg best story ever! left me in tears. rosses and air kisses to the writter. hopefully you'll be big one day.

on Jul. 8 2012 at 10:49 am

Hello, I'm frensh but I love reading english stories.I began reading yours out of pure curiosity but I fell in love with it!

Your story means so much! It talk about things that can be difficult like love, jealousy, understanding, misconceptions and suicide...But it was so well written, so beautiful that I could easily understand the message and I was just...Moved, touched.

I really loved it! It was really inspiring and knowing that sometimes you don't need to look at someone to love them, I think it's beautiful!

I really thank you for this story, I have to admit that I cried at the end but sometimes, sad ending are better than happy, because this one means so much more!

Continue writting, you are very talented!

ps: sorry if I made any mistakes but when your french it's difficult!XD


Shadoww GOLD said...
on Jun. 28 2012 at 8:32 pm
Shadoww GOLD, Oak Lawn, Illinois
14 articles 0 photos 3 comments
I absolutely love your article. I showed this to my friends and they also loved it. Your creativity is inspiring. This article should be made into a video. Think about it.

on Jun. 16 2012 at 10:03 pm
writer3499 GOLD, New Bedford, Massachusetts
11 articles 0 photos 196 comments

Favorite Quote:
"it's impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might has well not have lived at all-in which case you fail by default."
-J.K.Rowling

WOW! That was fantastic! It was really sad but amazing! 

on May. 25 2012 at 10:04 am
jones123 BRONZE, Cinnaminson, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
" Time goes by fast, people go in and out of your life. don't miss the opportunity to tell these people how much they mean to you"

this is really good and made me cry this is so amazing

TheMouseWins said...
on Apr. 11 2012 at 5:59 pm
You have a lovely plot here, but I wish that you had added more details. I do not want to rag on you, but I think this story may be going a bit fast... perhaps in the break between the last letter and the one before that True says something to her friend about 'Oliver is taking so long' 'Ugh, when will I get that letter?' etc. I think you did an excellent job, but like all good writing, it needs some work.

on Apr. 11 2012 at 12:43 am
mammothfrk PLATINUM, Mammoth Lakes, California
21 articles 25 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
This is your life, are you who you want to be?

This is amazing, keep up the good work, good story line, and way to not end it like we all thought! The irony was great!

on Mar. 24 2012 at 8:03 pm
Mary2016 SILVER, Cleveland, Texas
9 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When all else fails, simply look up, and remember that you are loved and blessed by the One who created you"-MaryAnna K. Willis

truely amazing. this is something I'll never forget

on Feb. 27 2012 at 8:58 pm
MarissaWhitecloud SILVER, Oskaloosa, Iowa
7 articles 0 photos 84 comments
I loved it! I'm so sad it ended though! Beautiful story.

mollyb SILVER said...
on Feb. 27 2012 at 11:05 am
mollyb SILVER, North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
9 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday."

I loved this:) The part about his sister was great!