Mixtapes | Teen Ink

Mixtapes

November 2, 2019
By anyasaini2006 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
anyasaini2006 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

She pressed play on the cassette loaded with the mix tape her boyfriend had made for her. The first song that played was “Love someone” by Lukas Graham. That was their song. They heard it on the radio as he drove her home from their first date. Her heart's pace quickened from the song just as it does every time she saw him. The song takes her back to all their memories and the good times they have had. It comes to an end with a beaming smile showing off her pearly whites, her heart enveloped in content. She progressed on her way to visit him with a bouquet of roses in the passenger's seat next to her. The reason she chose roses was because it gave off a soft reminder of the fragility of life, almost overwhelmingly alluring but also tragically short. She reaches over to check on her phone to make sure shes driving in the right direction. The next song plays “Missin you crazy” by Russ. Quietly humming to herself she closes her eyes remembering the scent of his cologne on his hoodie he lent her. Suddenly remembering that she was driving she swerves back onto the main road nearly missing a collision. 


She steps out of her car as she pulls over and grabs the flowers alongside of her. The gate creeks open and she enters carefully not to step on any other flowers there. Kneeling down placing the flowers on the head stone and kisses his name as a tear falls down her cheek with the song “This is not goodbye” by sidewalk Prophets still playing through her head phones.


The author's comments:

For my set piece I tried experimenting with metaphors. Instead of using regular clearly stated metaphors I used music as a way to describe how she feels in that moment. My favorite line was “...it gave off a soft reminder of the fragility of life, almost overwhelmingly alluring but also tragically short.” It was used as a metaphor for roses.