Kindergarten Crush | Teen Ink

Kindergarten Crush

March 17, 2019
By clairebecca PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland
clairebecca PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland
40 articles 0 photos 4 comments

The day we learned about shapes was the day I learned the shape of Ryan’s smile, like a crescent moon shining in the night sky. Freckles splattered like apricot paint on his skin, and as he raised his hand, he ruffled his hair of flames. I blushed and quickly looked away.

            “A circle has no edges,” he answered, beaming proudly and shuffling in his yellow square on the carpet. I smiled at him, but he didn’t notice.

            Ms. Wheeler drew a circle on the board. “Great job!” she exclaimed. “Ryan, why don’t you move your name to green on the chart?”

            As Ryan nodded happily and placed his nametag next to a slip of green, I sulked. The girls in the sparkly shoe club giggled when he walked by them, and I knew that my muddy pigtails wouldn’t stand a chance to their blonde ringlets and Hannah Montana makeup kits. Applause filled the classroom as Ryan sat back down.

            “Can someone tell me how many points a square has?” Ms. Wheeler asked next. The entire class shot up their hands, but she chose me. “Sarah?”

            Everyone looked in my direction. “Um, four,” I squeaked, praying that my name, too, would be next to the emerald paper.

            “Great! Move your name slip,” Ms. Wheeler said, and I stood up, glowing. A wave of thunderous applause crashed, and I carefully placed my manuscript nametag next to a piece of green paper on the chart. Across the room, everyone grinned at me, but all I saw was Ryan and his handsome, crescent smile.