Bumping Into a Soulmate | Teen Ink

Bumping Into a Soulmate

It was a beautiful and warm friday morning. The bright sun coming into my room through my blinds and the birds chirping woke me up. When I woke up, I had a weird feeling that today was going to be a very different day. Different in a good way though. College has been going really well the past couple of weeks. I was always happy at school and loving my job as a beginner journalist. Always on the move and exploring different places that I never thought I would be able to see. I had off today though so I planned to spend the day catching up with my friends that I haven’t seen in a while. It was 8:00 am and I was excited to start my day. Going through my usual morning routine; shower, brush my teeth, do my hair and makeup, get dressed, and the rest of the little things that went into getting ready in the morning. Once I was ready, I met up with my friends at my favorite breakfast place in Los Angeles, where I live, Sherman Oaks. It has a beautiful view of the ocean and you can feel the nice breeze while sitting there enjoying a nice cup of iced coffee. My favorite. Time went by which felt like hours, of us at breakfast having a good time together reminiscing on the old times, catching up, and enjoying each others company. Once it was time for us to go, we decided to walk around Los Angeles and explore as tourists would because some of my friends that were with me didn’t live here. We spent our time together looking around, laughing, and talking as usual, to the point where i’m not paying attention to my surroundings, when suddenly I slam shoulders into someone else. “OW!” we both yell out in unison. We make eye contact and the world feels as it stops spinning. It feels as time has completely stopped. After seconds pass by which feel like minutes, I begin to apologize for not paying attention and bumping into him. “I- I’m so sorry. I wasn’t paying attention. I didn’t mean to bump into you.” I say with a hint of worry. “Don’t worry about it. It was all my fault for not looking ahead of me. Totally fine.” he says immediately after. “Well. I should probably get going. My friends are waiting for me.” I say while slowly starting to walk away. “Wait. Could I ask for a name?” he questions. My heart drops. There's no way this guy could be wanting to know my name. It feels unreal. “Soph.” i say shyly. “Short for Sophie. May I ask for yours?” i question. “Danny. Short for Daniel.” I love that name. We continue to talk for a little longer completely ignoring the fact that we both have friends waiting on us. Soon after, we start to go on with our days after exchanging phone numbers. The rest of the day I was in an even better mood than I previously was, which didn’t seem possible. I was so happy nothing could ruin my mood. My friends and I finish off our day together and say our goodbyes. I head home, and the minute I arrive, I hear my phone go off. I look and see, it’s a text from Danny. “hey” it reads. I respond with a simple “hey”. We talk for awhile about our day and ourselves learning more and more about each other. After talking for a while, I begin to get confused. Usually whenever I would talk to guys previously, I would always overthink what to say and constantly worry, but with him, all my words would flow out easily. He was different than the other ones. A good different. It felt real and special. Hours and hours of us talking continuously passed by, and now it was 2:00 am on Saturday. I had no idea the time was going by so fast. I was so tired but didn’t want to stop talking to him. A short time after, I begin to get ready for bed and unwind. I say goodnight to him and lay in bed with a big smile across my face. I thought to myself about how he was different. I could already tell after only talking for a day. I thought to myself about friday morning when I woke up and knew that it was going to be a good day. It was. Days and weeks pass and Danny and I have talked more than ever. We hung out many times, and explored different things and places together. Started to live our lives together. I met someone I never knew I needed as much as I do. He made me feel happy and special. Months passed and Danny and I are laying on my couch together, officially as a couple, watching Netflix, when I think back to the day we met. Who knew I would have bumped into my soulmate that day. Literally.