Roxie | Teen Ink

Roxie

By liedelc BRONZE, Holmdel, New Jersey
liedelc BRONZE, Holmdel, New Jersey

"Happiness is a choice" - Shay Carl

Messy buns are my best friend. School got harder every day. It was the middle of January. Right after winter break they started to pile the work on our desk. As I get on my workout clothes, I check my phone. Alice had texted me. I can’t believe we had that much homework last night! The writing prompt took me forever!  Ugh, sometimes she can be so annoying! Whatever... Shoot I forgot to do the prompt! I thought. I jog to school every morning. It calms me down. When you are in high school, have anxiety, and depression; you have to look out for yourself. I have been on my own for a while now. My parents had both moved on. My dad is a pilot and my mom is a traveling hospital nurse. We talked about this. I moved out when I was about 17. I live in a 700 square ft apartment. I look at myself pretty lucky. At least I am not living on the side of the road. Alice is my best friend. She lives with her parents. Her parents are very wealthy. I stay over her house a lot. She is so sweet. She is super funny, she is super kind, super good at keeping secrets, and super understanding. She has a little sister, who we take out for ice cream on the weekend. She doesn’t have a boyfriend. She has a crush on Mark. The only problem is, Masie is dating Mark, who is the quarterback. We used to be friends, but now it’s just awkward. We aren’t “frenemies” but we aren’t friends. She is the head cheerleader and then theres me. Buzz. Alice had texted me. “ I overheard Zac talking. He was talking about you!”  Zac, was my crush. Alice was the only one who knew. I knew she would never tell him. I know this because one time I had a crush on Rex, but he was the nerd of the school. I told her. She didn’t tell a soul. One time when I was 6 or 7, at recess I was sitting on the blacktop, and she came up to me and said the cheesiest joke.

“Hey.” she said

“Hi.” I replied

“Wanna hear a joke?”

“Sure.”

“Knock knock”

“Who’s there?”

“Interrupting cow.”

“Interrupting cow w-”

“MOOOOOOOOOO” I bursted out laughing. That’s when I knew she was going to be a forever friend. Anyw-, one minute. Shoot! I am late for class! The only class I only like! Writing. You could probably tell. Because I am writing this story… Anyway-I got to go.

By the time I got to class, I was ten minutes late. Whatever . So, when we got out of writing, I was kinda bummed the the big whoop-dee-do  was over.  I struggled to get through French, very boring by the way; never take it. Then came math, which I also hated. After that it was lunch. Everyday I go to Mo’s dinner and today was no different. Partly because Alice’s sister owns the dinner and I get lunch for free. The other part is because Zac works there. On his lunch shift, he goes to work and I follow him there. Totally not stalkerish.  I plug in my headphones and start listening to Tate Mcrae. I start humming to the tune as I run around the high school track. The music gradually motivates me. Ding my phone buzzed. I looked at the lock screen of my phone, and turned it on airplane mode. This is the only time that I get to myself. The only time where I can be at peace. Clear my mind from the world. I hear the calming sound of my feet crunching on the rocks. My hand are in a clenching fist as if I am about to hit someone. My legs are loosely moving. I run until I my head starts to get fuzzy. I stop for a second, realizing that I am not dreaming. I pick up my favorite Item in the world. Japanese cherry blossom. My mother gave it to me when she came back from japan. I have it in a little clear box. When I was little i used to think it was magical because it didn’t die.  I have The hunger cramps start to get stronger. I start to jog to Mo’s. Zac comes up behind me. He startled me. “Hey Kate.”

I jump. I didn’t realize he was standing right next to me. But I didn’t realized it was Zac. As soon as I notice, he is running into the street. A car is coming right at him. “Zac! Watch Out!!!”  I shouted. I jumped in front of him. Pushing him back while I jump in front of the car to save his life. As soon as I pushes me, time stops. The world is in slow motion. I can’t move at the speed I want to. I realized that this was my time. I was going to die. This was the end. Then time starts up again. I hear cars honking.

“Kate!” he shouted out. The car stopped just before he would have hit me. He sprinted up to me.

“Kate, you're ok?!” he says

“Are you ok? Am am so sorry!’  

“My leg really hurts.” thoughts race my mind.

“Can you walk” he asked

I tried to stand. “No…”

The picks me up and starts running back to the school

“What are you doing!?”

“Helping you. You might have broken your leg!”

“Zac…”

“Yes?”

“Nevermind” He started running back to the car, constantly asking if I was ok. I said yes, but truly, my leg felt like it was about to explode. He put me in his car. I asked him where we were going, he replied the ER. I didn’t stop him though. I had a pounding headache. My body didn't feel alive. I thought I was going to die any minute. I ended up falling asleep in the car.

When I woke up, The light was gleaming in my eyes. People were surrounding me. Zac, Alice's parents, and 4 or 5 doctors and nurses.

“She wouldn’t have survived if you didn’t take her here. Her head has some major damage done to it.” Said one doctor. Everyone was quiet. Then Alice busted into the room.

“KATE! ARE YOU OK?” she was in tears.

“Yeah... I think so.” I said

“THANK GOD!” she was now panting.

"Let's give Kate some time alone." One doctor said.

“Are you ok” Zac asked

“Yeah.”

“I have something to tell you.”

“Me too.” we both say it at the same time.

“I love you.” My heart stopped. The words that I could only dream of. They came out of his mouth like he had a stutter. The air flow in my lungs was unhealthy.

“I love you too” a smirk appeared out of my face. This must be a dream.

* * *

“So thats how your dad and I met. You will probably hear that story a million times in your lifetime. I love you so much Charlotte Tate Armstrong.” I had told the whole story in a Fairytale like voice. Zac came up behind the hospital bed. We watched our newborn baby girl open her eyes for the first time. As I was holding her in my arms, the warmth of her little body heated my heart up. Charlotte Tate, This story is for you.

Kate L Is a Junior in high school. Her life is full of stress. She tries to save her crush, Zac from getting hit by a car, but the car hits her instead. This story was made for someone very special, and know you can hear about the story of how Zac and Kate feel in love.