Cheerleader | Teen Ink

Cheerleader

October 8, 2018
By giantrubbershark BRONZE, Asheville, North Carolina
giantrubbershark BRONZE, Asheville, North Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends" John 15:13
-- Past Self

"I'm an atheist now."
-- Future Self


Her fingers were intertwined with mine. I choked back all my questions, all my thoughts. I swallowed them, hard. We were walking happily around the park together, but with a quick motion, she jerked her hand away from me and put on an all-too-wide grin.

She did a quick short wave to acknoledge her cheer captain who was practicing gymnastics in the middle of the park’s soccer field. Though she was clad in tight jeans, she was still quite flexible. I lowered my eyes as she waved us over.

“Danielle! Omygosh is thissss Kayla?” she wildly gestured all toward me as if I weren’t a concious human standing right in front of her. Danny nodded solemnly. She clasped her hands together and squealed.

“This is perfect!” she held up her finger and walked over to her speaker to which the music she were cheering to was blaring. She flicked it off.

She clasped her hands together again, this time, almost as if in prayer. I doubted she believed in any god.

“Please, please, pleeeaaseee join the squad! Danielle has told us all about your ballet background. We need you. You’re perfect!” she batted her eyelashes and shot me a shy smile. I nervously laughed.

“Danielle told you I’m a lesbian, huh?” for a second, a flicker of fear crossed onto her pale face.

“Well… yes… I uh…” she stuttered. I placed a hand on her shoulder and looked straight into her eyes.

“Listen closely, honey. I’m not interested. In you or your cheer crap.” I reached back to take Danny’s palm but she pulled away before I could touch her. I don’t know if I’ve offended her or…

“I thought you would be nicer being best friends with this miracle and all.” her gaze cast a look of slight disgust toward Danny as she called her a miracle.

Best friends? We’re more! Hasn’t she told anyone we are… hasn’t she told anyone she is…? I looked over to see a few silent tears creeping into Danny’s eyes. We were stressing her out.

“Guess not.” the cheer captain witch (with a b) muttered. I wrapped my arms around Danny and firmly pressed my palm against the small of her back, urging her to move on.

“Don’t be so harsh to Mirabella. She was only trying to be nice.” she cast a shy glance up at me.

“Did you at least consider joining the team?” there was no longer a twinge of sadness in her eyes, only curiosity.

“Not at all!” I huffed. “Cheer is stupid, no offense. It’s just wannabe acro/gym/dance. I mean come on!” I’ve never really found myself this mad at Danny before.

Danny is a sweet girl, really innocent. I was especially not excpecting to rant on about how much I hate something she holds so close to her heart.

Sadness filled her eyes again, and I couldn’t help but feel guilty. I leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss on her forehead and she loosened beneath me.

But my rage came back as soon as the thought came to my mind.

“Do people know about… us?” a surprised expression formed in her eyes and fell out her lips in a small stutter.

“Uh…” but that gave me all the answer I needed, and I pulled away.

“I’m sorry!” she cried, again, tears in her eyes, as if all an act to make me stay.

“I’ll tell them within the week, I’m sorry.” she hung her head low and I kissed the top of it.

“As if I’d ever leave you my lovely little cheerleader.” I ruffled her hair and she blushed. With confidence, she took my hand and led me back to Mirabella.

“You can’t treat my girlfriend like that Mirabella! Shame on you!” her eyes lit up in surprise and she fell down from her handstand. I smirked.

“Maybe I will join your silly team after all.”


The author's comments:

I'm not really proud of this one, but I like it in general.