Shadow | Teen Ink

Shadow

By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus

Forgotten.  I stalk behind each person, but only when my light is present.  At night or in the dark, it might seem that I have abandoned my “master,” but that is far from the actual truth.  My loyalty is unfailing and will always be as such.

Unwavering and without fear I will stand side by side or behind each and every being or object without question or rest.  I will never falter. When they think I have vanished, when darkness has engulfed all visible light and I am undefinable to the naked eye, what they don’t realise is that I am reaching out and protecting them, hugging them close and keeping them from those that might harm them or take them from my embrace.

The world is a lonely place, forgotten and unappreciated, but a masterless world is one full of lonesome existences and lost souls.  I live a life that is immortal, unlike most of my mortal masters who will someday perish and return to dust and memory. When they die, I survive them, whether it be their memory or the darkness inside the box in which they lock away the shell that once held the light that produced me.

The life I lead is one that is endless, and I grow ever more hungry to see where it will lead even as loneliness seems to eat away at my existence.  Forgotten though I may be, I am no less important than the light that produces me or the ones that may succeed me in the future. Alone is the way I may live, but it is how the world has meant my existence to be.

Solitude is what I have resigned myself to, an immortal life of solitude.  I may walk in the crowd in plain sight, but a shadow will never be noticed when the light is shining.

Shadows have always facinated me, and I have always wondered what a shadow thought (if it could think) of its existence.  This piece is my interpretation.